The online racing simulator
Actual Force Feedback directX percentage made visible like a sort of fps counter.
Hiya,

It comes up often; people running their FF too strong so the DirectX code sends 100% force to the wheel even when the in game forces haven't maxed out yet. This can easily happen even when you set LFS's FF strength to 30%! It all depends on the grip and caster on the car...

So it would be most helpfull to add, much like a framerate counter, a ''Dx FF %'' counter, showing the actual percentage FF sent to the wheel. When this number maxes out at 100, we'd know we have to lower the in game FF strength, unless you like your FF to be sub optimal..

Simple enough and a handy tool it would be to make sure the FF is as accurate as it can be!

/Niels
Or even if not a counter, perhaps a little FFB Clipped message, like when in the sound editor?
Would also work ish, though its usefull to see the %, go on the skidpad, turn hard, tune so its ~80%, leaving some margin for more extreme happenings on the actual circuits.. (of course the downforce cars are a different story)
#4 - JTbo
I like this idea, so it would be easier to set my wheel correctly.

+1
+1
Yes, this would be a handy feature.

I already tried doing something like this, but DirectInput is a bastard and only lets me read wheel rotation, pressed buttons and pedal positions - the force values always stay at 0.
#7 - kaynd
I think it would be better as a visual counter instead of a clipping message…
The first is just informative and useful, the second would just force you use something lower because you will have awfully distorted FF effects on the FF limit…
I like.
#9 - ajp71
Hadn't even thought of that short coming in FF but certainly would be very useful. Out of interest there's no Fraps equivilent that does this already? Or a window I can leave on my second display to show me live FF outputs?
a way to sweep the lfs ffb through all its steps would be neat too so that if you have the hardware you could both get a good measurement to compare to other sims and adjust all your settings for perfect linearity
Yes, any sort of visual feedback for the force feedback would be handy feedback.
btw does anyone know exactly that the black and red rectangulars on the virtual steering indicator stand for ?
for years now i suspected that the disatcne bewteen them might indicate the force through the steering column but i never found a definitive answer on the matter
IIRC, the one is the amount of steering your real wheel is doing and the other the amount of steering the virtual wheel in the game is doing.
i thought those 2 were the same except for a little lag here and there ?
Quote from xaotik :IIRC, the one is the amount of steering your real wheel is doing and the other the amount of steering the virtual wheel in the game is doing.

^ Yes, adding to that, I think the virtual driver is limited to a certain strength, so heavy bumps can push the virtual wheel out of shape, but don't quote me on that.

You can also notice this when watching single player replays. You'll see that the steering input seemingly wiggles around with many small changes and corrections, but in reality the driver probably held the wheel rather still. So in the SPR we can better see what the real steering output was, not the actual driver input. But I believe that this virtual strength is very very high, so it's not like you're losing any significant accuracy from this.
Not if you got steering compensation enabled. We poor folk of the limited wheel turn radius use that stuff.
But even WTC doesn't change that. You'll *never* see the full black real-steering indicator unless some catastrophic lag/physics glitch happens. The red block shows what the user input is, after doing all sorts of rotation conversions and compensation calculations.
Quote from AndroidXP :so it's not like you're losing any significant accuracy from this.

cornering with a car that has wide tyres on the front (eg the bf1) the deviation can be as much as a whole width of those rectangle
my guesstimate from moving the red rect one width over and checking how much the wheel moves is about 10° so that would be a lot of difference between what the driver thinks hes doing an what lfs actually does
Quote from Shotglass :moving the red rect one width over ... about 10°

What kind of crazy steer settings are you using?

E: Ah, your real wheel moves 10°, I over-/misread that thought the ingame tyre rotated 10°
hehe

i just did some accurate measurements using the best tools available to me without getting up from my chair (bits of paper glued to my screen using saliva) and the result is that your interprestation is correct and that the black actual in game steering can deviate by as much as ~10° from the user input
Quote from AndroidXP :But even WTC doesn't change that. You'll *never* see the full black real-steering indicator unless some catastrophic lag/physics glitch happens. The red block shows what the user input is, after doing all sorts of rotation conversions and compensation calculations.

Ah ha. Good thing I have all steering indications off then it would only confuse me. Just look at Shotglass, he's salivating on his screen again.
I guess that system is there to simulate that if there's a insanely high force pulling on your ingame wheel, you don't get an advantage by using a controller that ignores these forces. In the end it's the same for everyone, I doubt going up in flames of how control is taken away from you would be worth it
Quote from xaotik :Ah ha. Good thing I have all steering indications off then it would only confuse me. Just look at Shotglass, he's salivating on his screen again.

LOL
Quote from xaotik :Not if you got steering compensation enabled. We poor folk of the limited wheel turn radius use that stuff.

steering comepnsation doesnt influecne the position of the red rect ... it always moves 1:1 with the in game steering wheel
so like with the ingame wheel the steering compensation shows in that the red rect moves faster or slower depening on which bit of the exponential mapping your input device is currently on
Quote from Shotglass :steering comepnsation doesnt influecne the position of the red rect ... it always moves 1:1 with the in game steering wheel
so like with the ingame wheel the steering compensation shows in that the red rect moves faster or slower depening on which bit of the exponential mapping your input device is currently on

Sorry man, the Austrian beat you to it both in clarity and speed.
Quote from xaotik :Sorry man, the Austrian beat you to it both in clarity and speed.

these bastards have a habit of ruining everything for us germans

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG