The online racing simulator
Top Gear Test Course (Req.)
(60 posts, started )
#1 - Slopi
I am not skilled enough to do this yet, but I was wondering if there's any other fans of the British TV Show, Top Gear. Well, if anyone here is, you think it would be too difficult to try to recreate their test track on the car park?

I'd love to take my reasonably priced car around that test track and see if I can't beat Simon Cowel :P
Or Ellen MacArthur!

Someone DID make an autocross version back on RSC, but it wasn't good because the autocross arena is too small. Also, I couldn't work out which bit I was meant to go on, as the cones were too far apart. It would be nice to have though I admit, but I'm prepared to wait.

Car Football anyone (it was great at Earls Court!)
Cones? There was quite a good version out at one moment with walls n stuff. I remember driving it and wondering wth this isn't it.. until I noticed I was supposed to start from an entirely different part of the track..

Would be great if it could be remade. I'll have a poke around & see if I can find it again.

*edit:
Ahh here we go
http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=185949
#4 - Slopi
I'll be making this on the Car Park, asuming there's room. I hope so anyways. Should take the entire length of the car park, just not sure if the width will be enough.

Anyways, here's the picture I threw together as a reference to build with. It's the actual airstrip Top Gear uses for their track. The red line indicates the first half of the lap, the blue line indicates the second half. The track is basically a figure 8. Small black dots represent the tire wall.

If all goes right, and the current Car Park can accomodate this track, then a lap time should fall between 1minute/~20sec and 2min depending on the driver and experience with the track.
[QUOTE=tristancliffe]Or Ellen MacArthur!

Aint she a Dame Now ??

And, her time was only 4 tenths slower than Damon Hill !!!

Amazing, considering she's spent most of her life on a boat.

"Britannia Rules the Waves"-----Bye Bye
[quote=Mazz4200][quote=tristancliffe]Or Ellen MacArthur!

Aint she a Dame Now ??

And, her time was only 4 tenths slower than Damon Hill !!!

Amazing, considering she's spent most of her life on a boat.

"Britannia Rules the Waves"-----Bye Bye [/quote]

I think she's always been female. And yes, she was very quick, especially considering she'd only driven 'fast' in threee kart sessions in the past.

On that pic above, don't forget to put the 'Hammerhead' corner, cos from the lines you drew it looks like you forgot about it.
I was lucky enough to drive the Top Gear track at the Dunsfold Areodrome in the spring. Not for the programme, you understand

I will see if I can knock up a track as well, but the size of the Autocross or Blackwood carpark will pose some issues.

In doing so, however it would require the moving of the start line, which would mean, currently, only 1 driver can join at a time and not really be able to 'race'.

ps. and I thought Damon Hill and Mark Webber went round in a 1:43???
Yeah, i thought there was something suspect about the laps too,

She went off on the last corner, and was still quickest.
+ In the first series, a time of 1.50 was considered good, but now !!
Jimmy Carr 1.46.9 !! he's a complete arsehole !!

Although, if you remember David Soul wrote off 2 cars, so they had to replace them, so maybe the new ones are simply quicker.

Or perhaps they're having the same problem as this guy

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=3486

(only the other way round)
Quote from tristancliffe :Car Football anyone (it was great at Earls Court!)

Yepp , maybe we can use the UF1k as a ball , and using RB4's to bump it into the Goal
there is NO WAY Ellen MacArthur could be only .4 off Damon Hill illepall (even if he is a crap F1 driver )
BREAKING NEWS

Suzuki has announced today that all Liana's will be fitted with Nitrous Oxide injection on ALL models. Stupid looking bodykits that all look the same anyway are to remain an optional extra.
Well I made a track that at least looks like the TG track, but the longest lap time I can pull is a weak 50seconds, a good minute in length shorter than what the track SHOULD be.

Oh well, guess we'll have to wait until we get a car park about 1 mile in length before we make something true to life on this one, until then I guess it's just another autocross track
On that Top Gear paged you linked to, there is an image of the track right there Although, it doesn't show the exact paths the cars take (like on the hammerhead)

Rather simple course, and the normal AutoX lot could suit it, only it would be a bit smaller. But this is all very possible.
Attached images
top_gear_track.gif
To see some real pics from the track, check this video of one topgear episode: LINK REMOVED

From there, download the video "zonda versus lambo", even though it is a big one, it has some good angles. Would have pasted some screenies, but no idea how to take screenshots from movie...
Quote from Hyperactive :To see some real pics from the track, check this video of one topgear episode:

From there, download the video "zonda versus lambo", even though it is a big one, it has some good angles. Would have pasted some screenies, but no idea how to take screenshots from movie...

The link is slow and sometimes times out. Screenshots would be appreciated You can take screenshots of videos with VLC Media Player, it rawks.
Quote from Tweaker :The link is slow and sometimes times out. Screenshots would be appreciated You can take screenshots of videos with VLC Media Player, it rawks.

Downloading at the moment, expect the worst

EDIT: bad program Takes the screenies ok. But where the *** does it save them? Looked throught the options, nothing. Looked from the wiki site (help for screensnap), nothing. Looked throught lots of directories, nothing.
Quote from Hyperactive :To see some real pics from the track, check this video of one topgear episode: [url="http://www.iamhiddensoyoucannotseeme.com/haha/[/url]

you better delete that link or is it normal, that I am allowed to walk through there like an Admin?
Quote from Soper :you better delete that link or is it normal, that I am allowed to walk through there like an Admin?

What do you mean? Sometimes when the page loads you get the stuff quite fast... You can't alter the file or delete them from the site, can you?

EDIT: Link working now as writing this, better get it if you can...
EDIT2: link removed, seems there is some illegal stuff, very sorry
well, nevermind. Happy to be fast enough to DL all topgear-movies to find there. And to be honest seeing a Britain just loving a German car is the greatest joy. M5 Test is my favorite vid so far. And the show master has it's fun, more than in all other - Great - BMW all the way

Fox
Quote from Soper :well, nevermind. Happy to be fast enough to DL all topgear-movies to find there. And to be honest seeing a Britain just loving a German car is the greatest joy. M5 Test is my favorite vid so far. And the show master has it's fun, more than in all other - Great - BMW all the way

Fox

Hmm, I'm actually little worried about that link as there may be some illegal stuff too, any chance you could remove the link from your post?
Done. And I have to add the McLaren F1 test is also great. Another BMW Engine rocks the world *hrhr* and the test BMW M3 Roadster vs. Mercedes Benz SLK AMG is funny. The female showmaster says clearly it's nt worth buying a much more expensive MB than the BMW - great great great Oh did I mention I am a BMW fan ^^
Quote from Soper :Done. And I have to add the McLaren F1 test is also great. Another BMW Engine rocks the world *hrhr* and the test BMW M3 Roadster vs. Mercedes Benz SLK AMG is funny. The female showmaster says clearly it's nt worth buying a much more expensive MB than the BMW - great great great Oh did I mention I am a BMW fan ^^

Yes, defenetely nice videos. If I remember correctly she said that the mb is little boring if compared to the bmw. I still like the MB SLK, small, rwd and powreful
Jeah right lovin Mercedes Benz too....but only as a small dot in my mirrors
[quote=tristancliffe][quote=Mazz4200]

On that pic above, don't forget to put the 'Hammerhead' corner, cos from the lines you drew it looks like you forgot about it.[/quote]

yeah, that has to be in, as it looks like the hardest corner to get right!

(60 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG