The online racing simulator
Chequered flag
(9 posts, started )
#1 - ajp71
Chequered flag
I was just racing with the FBM at SO6, noticed there were a couple of cars stationary after the start line then I ran out of fuel about half a lap latter thought oh bugger I haven't put enough in then noticed I'd been completely oblivious to the fact the race had ended. Whilst I insist on racing in shift + F and don't appreciate visual clutter I wouldn't mind being informed when the race is over so maybe another flag could be added that shows in shift + F?
Excellent suggestion ajp. I usually race in shift-F mode as well.

Question to the non-NASCAR watchers, does other series have the white flag for "one lap to go?" NASCAR does, but I don't know about other race series. If so, I'd like to see both white flag and checkered flag in shift-F mode. If not, ignore the white flag suggestion.
#3 - wark
White flag means slow-moving vehicle on track in other sports... but good suggestion.
Quote from mrodgers :Question to the non-NASCAR watchers, does other series have the white flag for "one lap to go?" NASCAR does, but I don't know about other race series. If so, I'd like to see both white flag and checkered flag in shift-F mode. If not, ignore the white flag suggestion.

AFAIK, road-racing series have the starter hold up one finger or perhaps a flag, furled to indicate one lap to go.

And I think, where applicable, the pitboard has an indication of such fact.
AFAIK:

Champ Car has the starter hold up 1 finger
So does the ALMS
So does Grand-Am
NASCAR uses the white flag
Le Mans (I think) uses both at points around the circuit? Not sure on that though
#6 - ajp71
Under FIA rules the white flag is a warning flag to warn racers of a slow moving vehicle, depending on interpretation it may be shown if there is a slow moving racing car ahead and will certainly be shown if there is an ambulance on track in the rare event that a safety car (full course yellow) or red flag hasn't been issued.

To indicate the last lap some series show a last lap board from the start/finish line flag post but this is optional and not the guaranteed last lap (because a lot of races are now done on time).
Quote from ajp71 :Under FIA rules the white flag is a warning flag to warn racers of a slow moving vehicle, depending on interpretation it may be shown if there is a slow moving racing car ahead and will certainly be shown if there is an ambulance on track in the rare event that a safety car (full course yellow) or red flag hasn't been issued.

To indicate the last lap some series show a last lap board from the start/finish line flag post but this is optional and not the guaranteed last lap (because a lot of races are now done on time).

I was going to post basically the same as that. But I don't know of any cases where an ambulance has been needed on track but no SC.
#8 - ajp71
Quote from duke_toaster :I was going to post basically the same as that. But I don't know of any cases where an ambulance has been needed on track but no SC.

It's unusual but it does happen, there was a race at Mallory when the ambulances were scrambled to provide additional medical assistance following a serious accident at the next door motorcross site, they left before the race had been red flagged (due to the fact they were missing) and they did show the white flags then. Even under a safety car white flags can be useful to warn cars of an obstruction round a blind bend.
#9 - col
Top suggestion

(it's a "[/me slaps head] why have I not thought of and posted this one years ago" kind of suggestion)

A chequered flag is definitely important - it is such an iconic part of motor racing that not to have one in LFS does seem like a major oversight.

I'd love to see it being waved at track side, but having it appear the way blue flags do would still be a great improvement.

Chequered flag
(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG