The online racing simulator
Formula BMW
(37 posts, started )
Formula BMW
Hi there, wasnt sure where to post this but i just wanted to drop a line to the developers and hope that they will read this..

I have driven the FB02 quite alot IRL.. and now ive tried it in LFS, its a fun car to drive, but it did not feel quite to what i was expecting from my rl experience..

first simple thing, the sound..

secondly, its how the car handles, the rear end of the rl car was very diferent, it had more "oversteering" moments, but was alot easier to hold in it, while in the game now, it feels so HP gimped that it cant spin wheels, and you can just nail the throttle..

gearbox, does not work for me, i mean its like the real thing, ill agree, but as the one that drove the car (scawen?) must have felt, and should feel now, that untill we have "force feedback sequential gear leavers" for our wheels, it wont be the same, because there you could feel when the right moment was to change gears... also you can flatshift in the FBMW if you bounce it of the rev limiter...

i love the looks of it thou, and the physics feel quite alot like the real life experience except what i noted above..

if it wasnt the FBMW that i love for a RL car, I wouldnt be telling you guys about this, because i had a blast out of driving it.. but it didnt quite feel like the real thing..

.. please excuse my spelling as english is not my native language
#2 - Alles
i totaly see what you mean. i like to drive it also in LFS. for now only with mouse. will do some laps tomorrow with wheel. as you say you drove it IRL then i guess telling what you know is the right thing to do. it all leads to improvements.
yea i probobly should state that i drive with a g25
Quote from kekkart :I have driven the FB02 quite alot IRL.. and now ive tried it in LFS, its a fun car to drive, but it did not feel quite to what i was expecting from my rl experience..

I haven't, but I know vaguely where you're coming from
Quote from kekkart :first simple thing, the sound..

Be aware that the sound system still isn't perfected, so the engine sounds are a bit weak at the minute. Be glad they're not sampled!!!!
Quote from kekkart :secondly, its how the car handles, the rear end of the rl car was very diferent, it had more "oversteering" moments, but was alot easier to hold in it, while in the game now, it feels so HP gimped that it cant spin wheels, and you can just nail the throttle..

Part of this is the seat of the pants feeling - you can drive a bit closer to the limit in real life (although the limit is a bit lower too!), and holding slides is WAY easier with feelings... All the cars have too much grip right now, especially under longitudinal force.
Quote from kekkart :gearbox, does not work for me, i mean its like the real thing, ill agree, but as the one that drove the car (scawen?) must have felt, and should feel now, that untill we have "force feedback sequential gear leavers" for our wheels, it wont be the same, because there you could feel when the right moment was to change gears... also you can flatshift in the FBMW if you bounce it of the rev limiter...

No, it's not the same, but it's a damn sight better than what we had before. And don't tell your engine builder about bouncing it off the rev limiter - it's probably slower, and it'll do more damage...
Quote from kekkart :i love the looks of it thou, and the physics feel quite alot like the real life experience except what i noted above..

Overall I think I agree with you. It's NOT as good as in real life, but there are limitations in terms of technology (e.g. FFB shifters) and computer physics (bit of a black art), but it's good enough for me...
Quote from kekkart :
if it wasnt the FBMW that i love for a RL car, I wouldnt be telling you guys about this, because i had a blast out of driving it.. but it didnt quite feel like the real thing..

Real feedback = good!
Quote from kekkart :.. please excuse my spelling as english is not my native language

Your English is damn good, don't worry.
yea also, im not trying to be picky just to make that sure, im just pointing out what ever could be done to make it better!!

thats very good feedback tristancliffe

and i must agree with most of it, yea when i was driving it i didnt bounce it of the limiter, but i still hate how its done right now..

also obviously about the "bum feeling" you get whilst driving it..

to bad im not driving this car right now irl, or i would come straight from the track, drive it ingame and tell you exactly what i feel

Also one thing.. clutch overheating, in a fbmw?? ill agree with the stalling but overheating is very very very new to me
Will you be driving it again soon? Next year?

Edit: Agree on that - clutch heat is overdone quite a lot at the moment I think, but I'm going to get used to balancing the game clutch before I moan too much...
#7 - ajp71
The issues of traction is most likely down to the tires, which are far softer than junior series run IRL, still having cold tires after 10 minutes is a far more common issue than that they're on fire as in LFS. Try running with R3s or even R4s to see if that's more like it, other than that it's just the lack of sensation that your nice cosy chair gives you.

The handling is down to setup which is currently a realistic baseline set, presumably what Scawen drove and set up to be safe so that you've got to be trying to spin it (no offence Scawen ).

As for the sound I'm not sure whether you mean in LFS it just sounds to smooth/not raw enough, which is just a limitation of the sound engine in all cars that hopefully will be improved in the future or if you mean it was fundamentally wrong? I must admit I was expected something a bit more screamy for an 1100 motorbike engine at 9000rpm with a racing exhaust it sounds like a slightly smaller FOX engine atm.

...and Kekkart you write far better English than lots of native speakers

Quote from kekkart :Also one thing.. clutch overheating, in a fbmw?? ill agree with the stalling but overheating is very very very new to me

Well you only touch it to pull away and IRL you have feel in the clutch and will naturally use a lot less throttle when pulling away, if you pull away cleanly it doesn't do anything on the clutch bar. Maybe it is overdone but it shouldn't affect driving at all in the FBM.
Quote from tristancliffe :Will you be driving it again soon? Next year?

Edit: Agree on that - clutch heat is overdone quite a lot at the moment I think, but I'm going to get used to balancing the game clutch before I moan too much...

no im moving on
Quote from kekkart :no im moving on

You should definitely send a mail to Scawen regarding this thread. Chances a quite high that he won't see it here in the improvement suggestions forum.
As Tristan said, it's great with some real life feedback.
I would agree about the flat shifting... i was nearly sure you could flat shift in a FBMW.
Quote from nikimere :I would agree about the flat shifting... i was nearly sure you could flat shift in a FBMW.

If you read what he was saying though he was bouncing it off the rev limiter, effectively like cutting the throttle but in a rather unorthodox manner so you could possibly try doing this in LFS but no real sequential 'box will let you shift without somehow cutting the power be it lifting the throttle, cutting the ignition or using the rev limiter.
Do´h!:doh:
I knew there would be a lot of people complaining about the new car.
I really dont get u guys, it´s only a GAME!
Make better one if u like to.
Quote from tonyonparas :Do´h!:doh:
I knew there would be a lot of people complaining about the new car.
I really dont get u guys, it´s only a GAME!
Make better one if u like to.

Nobody is complaining? Actually people in this thread with knowledge about the FBM tries to improve LFS to be more realistic?
Quote from ajp71 :If you read what he was saying though he was bouncing it off the rev limiter, effectively like cutting the throttle but in a rather unorthodox manner so you could possibly try doing this in LFS but no real sequential 'box will let you shift without somehow cutting the power be it lifting the throttle, cutting the ignition or using the rev limiter.

i never flatshifted in the fbm, i tried it and it works thou.. but again, it wouldnt work without a force feedback gearleaver because you need to feel the right moment to pull it..

it is possible, but its the way to go to spend quite some money on gearboxes and clutches, so it isnt done.. also it does not really gain you any time..

the half lift of the throttle is the way to shift basicly...
Quote from kekkart :i never flatshifted in the fbm, i tried it and it works thou.. but again, it wouldnt work without a force feedback gearleaver because you need to feel the right moment to pull it..

it is possible, but its the way to go to spend quite some money on gearboxes and clutches, so it isnt done.. also it does not really gain you any time..

the half lift of the throttle is the way to shift basicly...

Well from what I noticed in the Formula BMW is that you can shift without lifting off your foot, just push it to the limit long enough. It barely works from 4-5 and it doesn't work from 5-6 tough.
Quote from kekkart :no im moving on

What are you moving on to?

It is very interesting to hear from someone who has first hand experience with the car in question. However, lets not forget that Scawen spent quite alot of time in this car. I know he is not a racing driver but in conjunction with any data he was was given this has surely got to be one of the best simulated cars in LFS.

Whether this highlights some underlying problem in the physics engine or whether it is largely due to the seat of the pants feel is obviously difficult to say but both are bound to play a part in it.

Personally I think it is almost impossible to decide on what is realistic or not. After all we have racing drivers telling us GTR2 is realistic.

Regards
ill state this load and clear

LFS IS THE BEST _DRIVING SIMULATOR_ THAT I HAVE EVER DRIVEN SO FAR...

tried most of the others..

its the most realistic especially when it comes to the racing prospective...

and once again, im not saying the car is crap, but its always alot easier to point out the things that went wrong then the things that went right!

and about moving on, its a secret for a couple of weeks more but its bigger then fbmw ;p
Quote from Dillyracer :Well from what I noticed in the Formula BMW is that you can shift without lifting off your foot, just push it to the limit long enough. It barely works from 4-5 and it doesn't work from 5-6 tough.

theres something a little odd about this as its the same if you lift or maybe its all in my head but it feels like im missing more shifts in higher gears than in lower ones
if im not mistaken it should be the other way round since theres a lot less load on the higher gears
Quote from kekkart :ill state this load and clear

LFS IS THE BEST _DRIVING SIMULATOR_ THAT I HAVE EVER DRIVEN SO FAR...

tried most of the others..

its the most realistic especially when it comes to the racing prospective...

and once again, im not saying the car is crap, but its always alot easier to point out the things that went wrong then the things that went right!

and about moving on, its a secret for a couple of weeks more but its bigger then fbmw ;p

Well it is definitely nice to hear further evidence of LFS's simulating qualities

When the secret is out be sure to come back and let us know
Quote from kekkart :

British F3?

At any rate that's really cool, good luck and hopefully you'll make it to F1 so you can plug LFS during an interview in front of a global audience.
Could some of this "extra" stability in LFS be down to there being no sand, dirt, oil from previous races, damp spots, broken tarmac ,rough patches, etcetc on our tracks. Making them a lot more predictable (or completely predictable) lap after lap then any track is in real life.

I'm no racedriver but i can imagine all those things adding up to a car that's more unpredictable and slides about more then our LFS versions do
Quote from Noccy :Could some of this "extra" stability in LFS be down to there being no sand, dirt, oil from previous races, damp spots, broken tarmac ,rough patches, etcetc on our tracks. Making them a lot more predictable (or completely predictable) lap after lap then any track is in real life.

I'm no racedriver but i can imagine all those things adding up to a car that's more unpredictable and slides about more then our LFS versions do

thats a very good thought mate, also more thing comes into acc, humidity, if the track is under a airliner route, how much rubber has gone down into the track
Quote from kekkart :thats a very good thought mate, also more thing comes into acc, humidity, if the track is under a airliner route, how much rubber has gone down into the track

Kerosene?

Formula BMW
(37 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG