The online racing simulator
Detailed cockpits/real starts/high nose fix for S2..
I know that you devs already have a to-do list, and are working very hard.. so i suggested three things that i think would be the best choise to be in the FULL version of the S2.. and i think most would agree..

1. Detailed cockpits, we really need them, as it really gives a great plus for the whole immersion, feeling of really being there in the car.. And i was thinking to have like a ON/OFF function so people with slower PC's could play with OFF until they upgrade, etc.. And because we now have extra FPS due to the patch Q, it could be used for the cockpits now..

2. The race starts in LFS are really arcadish, you must admit.. We must get rid of these pedal to the metal starts, if you aim this game to be ultimate simulation. I know that it would make arcade type players really frustrated, but the majority would like real starts, like holding the clutch button, reving it to the ideal RPM's, etc...

3. High nose bug could also be fixed.. I am really sad when i see those WR setups with high nose..

This is what i think it's crucial for the S2 Full, and off course some other physics tweaking..
They are all nice things.
But I am 110% sure that those are on the devs' list already..
Quote from Boris Lozac :2. The race starts in LFS are really arcadish, you must admit.. We must get rid of these pedal to the metal starts, if you aim this game to be ultimate simulation. I know that it would make arcade type players really frustrated, but the majority would like real starts, like holding the clutch button, reving it to the ideal RPM's, etc...

And making this workable with all controllers (i.e. keyb & mouse too) instead of requiring pedals to get off the line at all..
The ability to turn off in-game announcements, very distracting while racing online.
Troll voted to ban Goresh (press 1 to vote)
Quote from Boris Lozac :
2. The race starts in LFS are really arcadish, you must admit.. We must get rid of these pedal to the metal starts, if you aim this game to be ultimate simulation. I know that it would make arcade type players really frustrated, but the majority would like real starts, like holding the clutch button, reving it to the ideal RPM's, etc...

Then dropping the clutch and hoping it doesn't stall? With a button for a clutch, there's only so much you can do. BL1 Rev has an uphill grid, I bet nobody would get away. Unless they had a clutch pedal of course...
I second the detailed cockpits... if I was Eric I would focus on better cockpits instead of track and cars. All serious racers do see the this cockpit quite alot and compared to other racesims (netKar pro!) its just a bunch of stretched pixels. Just a few more models and highres textures will help alot!
Quote from Breizh :Troll voted to ban Goresh (press 1 to vote)

My mistake, I was under the impression these forums were open to everyone, not sure what prompted this comment, but I'll think twice about posting here again.
i think the biggest problem with better cockpits is that they would lose compatibility. Right now, you can switch between kph and mph and even left or right hand drive.
That's no problem, because the gauges are vector graphics.

But to get high quality cockpits, you would have to use bitmap graphics, and therefore these would be in kph or mph, left or right hand drive.
I think that's the main reason, maybe i'm wrong...

So my suggestions would be: forget about mph and right hand drive!
Quote from inCogNito :So my suggestions would be: forget about mph and right hand drive!

Where does Eric live? Kiss your fancy left-hand drive and kilometer-based velocity measurements goodbye!

Edit: I suppose we could have both on one dial, but then we'd lose the digital speedo option, and I use that
The analog speedometer is pretty useless now for me. The digits are just so small. I just can make out what the numebrs say when I am stopped and usign a 'slow' car with fewer numbers, but at racing speeds and fast cars it's impossible to tell what speed I am travelling.
-
(Breizh) DELETED by Breizh
Goresh, my point was you wouldn't see votes or LFSW messages that concerned you.
Thin skin and indignation will prevent you from enjoying a lot more than just this forum.
#13 - Tomi
Quote from geeman1 :The analog speedometer is pretty useless now for me. The digits are just so small. I just can make out what the numebrs say when I am stopped and usign a 'slow' car with fewer numbers, but at racing speeds and fast cars it's impossible to tell what speed I am travelling.

When I'm racing, I don't really care at what speed I'm going. The main goal is to be faster than the others
Well I apoligize for not seeing your point, fact still remains that if these messages could be turned off prior to a race, it stands to reason they could be turned back on after a race. I'm unsure if its the case for everyone, but these messages popping cause considerable lag, and I've seen many wreck as a result. Not only that, theres some that like to request restarts over and over and over. Even after its quite apparant that they are alone in this request. Maybe I'm just less tolerant than most but I personally find this just as distractive as someone sitting dead in the middle of the track. Both are spawned from the same maturity.
Well, detailed cockpits sore add a lot of immersion to the game. For example, I was really fancy about the cabines in GTR demo, it really felt I'm driving a real race car.. for the few first laps. A nice detail, but nice graphics really don't make a nice simulator.

Quite a "useless" topic imho, because I think no one would resist more beutiful and detailed cockpits, and I also think that the developers know what they're doing
Quote from wheeler :I second the detailed cockpits... if I was Eric I would focus on better cockpits instead of track and cars. All serious racers do see the this cockpit quite alot

I'm a serious racer and I wouldn't dream of driving from cockpit view, just as I wouldn't dream of painting the windscreen on my real car so I could only see out a miniscule portion...

Quote from thisnameistaken :Where does Eric live? Kiss your fancy left-hand drive and kilometer-based velocity measurements goodbye!

but scawen is a physics geek ... say hello to a speedmoeter in m/s
#18 - avih
Quote from Blowtus :I'm a serious racer and I wouldn't dream of driving from cockpit view, just as I wouldn't dream of painting the windscreen on my real car so I could only see out a miniscule portion...

Without turning this into a flamewar about cockpit/wheel view, there are many racers who use cockpit view because they feel it's more realistic. It's ok that you don't but some are. Many in fact.
Can I just add that Eric isn't tanning himself cos of nothing to do. He is working Full Time on LFS (it's his only job), and he is, according to Scawen, a bit embarrased about the quality of the S2 stuff atm (but it's Alpha, so details were probably not wanted at that point).

He IS working hard, and the models/tracks/interiors WILL be better in time. But as the slightest change to any of the above renders LFS incompatible, they are only released with major patches - much like the pending physics patch.*

*please note, pending doesn't mean soon, it means it's what Scawen has said is the 'next thing on the list'.
I just wish Eric was a bit more public on his work and progress

I liked it when we got previews for new cars in the works (MRT6, new FXO, etc), or new features... but we know very little at the moment... maybe because S2 is out and there is no need... but if there ARE improvements from Eric's side, it would be worthwhile to see what he is upto. It sort of reignites the faith I have getting updates from the devs
Quote from Boris Lozac :I know that you devs already have a to-do list, and are working very hard.. so i suggested three things that i think would be the best choise to be in the FULL version of the S2.. and i think most would agree..

1. Detailed cockpits, we really need them, as it really gives a great plus for the whole immersion, feeling of really being there in the car.. And i was thinking to have like a ON/OFF function so people with slower PC's could play with OFF until they upgrade, etc.. And because we now have extra FPS due to the patch Q, it could be used for the cockpits now..

3. High nose bug could also be fixed.. I am really sad when i see those WR setups with high nose..

This is what i think it's crucial for the S2 Full, and off course some other physics tweaking..

:iagree:

HELL YEAH my friend !
Some good points.
However, I am very happy with the GFX in LFS S2. With a resolution of 1600x1200 @85hz /32bit, full AA, full AF, all gfx options at max and Kegety's Smoke Mod, S2 is a thing of beauty. I am suprised to hear that Eric feels a bit embarrased about the quality of them.

I believe improved sound would add to the imertion factor way, way more than updated GFX.
Detailed interiors are the only thing missing graphically from this game in my opinion. I can't wait until they are added, because like it has been said, it really adds to the immersion.

The only other (and very minor) thing I could think of that needs improvement is the material the wheels are made out of. I would like to see them as more metallic looking rather than the weird, flat ceramic look they sport now. Though, that has been talked about before also.
Quote from Tweaker :I just wish Eric was a bit more public on his work and progress

I liked it when we got previews for new cars in the works (MRT6, new FXO, etc), or new features... but we know very little at the moment... maybe because S2 is out and there is no need... but if there ARE improvements from Eric's side, it would be worthwhile to see what he is upto. It sort of reignites the faith I have getting updates from the devs

I sort of agree with you on that, it is nice to see some physical updates. But i think enough work has been done recently by scawen on the language patch, that there wont be any other major updates for a long while. Thus, it will also be a long while until we see any physical updates the come out with the new incompatible stuff.

I might just be my perception, but with scawen being on the forum loads doing the lanuage it has kept people quiet as they can see what has been getting worked on. So, IMO i think it would be a bit daft to release any pics of new GFX stuff as the hype would go through the roof.

Quote from Tweaker : It sort of reignites the faith I have getting updates from the devs

I have every faith they are beavering away in the background, think how long it has been since S2 alpha release.
But that is like saying the appreciation for seeing what future plans Scawen has in store for us is not welcome because of hype? :zombie:

Come on now, it is about keeping the players interested in what we will get later on, we used to have it a lot, but no more. Don't say a possible sexy screenshot of some hifi cockpit from Eric would not be worth it

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG