The online racing simulator
Point a to point b
(30 posts, started )
Point a to point b
I know this game is mainly a "race" game with laps on lookalike tracks, but what if there was a track, or multiple tracks, that dealt with point a to point b? It would mainly be for max speed and light turns if any.

Some of my favorite gams to race in are Gran Turismo and Enthusia (and of corse LFS) but I also really enjoy highway driving games like Wangan, Tokyo X Treme Racer, etc, just to kind of sit back and go fast.

Just a suggestion.
Ah yes, this has been suggested many times already

My best guess for such tracks appearing is the upcoming [size](?)[/size] rallypack. I'm sure these would be fun, especially offline. But as LFS mainly concentrates on online circuit racing it will probably take some time before we'll have the chance to race such a kind of tracks.
Ive yet to play online, but im looking forward to it.
Point a to be rally stages would be insanely great! Hopefully this rumored "rally pack" will have this
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
I think it will come in S3, if anything, LFS will need loads of improvements to make a quality rally game (ie mud effects, and all the goodies). Wish we could have some updates (ie future plan, progress reports, etc) for what is to come, but everything is so silent now, it worries me, or rather... has me balancing the stool whether or not to be interested, or just wait another year until something new comes out
I don't remember seeing anything official about a rally pack, still some people are talking about it like it's sure that there'll be one. LFS doesn't need a let down of any sort, especially one of this magnitude ("they said there'd be a rally addon but now there won't be such a thing boohoo"). Maybe I'm being overprotective, or have I simply missed something
Quote from Huru-aito :I don't remember seeing anything official about a rally pack, still some people are talking about it like it's sure that there'll be one. LFS doesn't need a let down of any sort, especially one of this magnitude ("they said there'd be a rally addon but now there won't be such a thing boohoo"). Maybe I'm being overprotective, or have I simply missed something

I did a quick search on rsc to remind myself of where I'd seen it mentioned.
Anyway, there was this interview by nic with the devs. Nothing concrete was said, I hope linking to it doesn't kick up a lot of fuss over it again

Look at Eric's section:
Hope nic don't mind a direct link
http://www.teamnic.com/interview/interview-edited.doc

www.teamnic.com <Good website
Thanks, I had already forgotten that interview

Doesn't say much though, let's hope that there will eventually be more of the loose surface stuff too!
#9 - ajp71
I suspect S3 will feature point to point tracks, but not rally stages or straight roads. Maybe hillclimbing, this has been suggested a lot and would not require major changes to the graphics engine.
I'm not sure I understand why the graphics engine would need to be updated at all tbh...the graphics engine should deal with the vertex's that the rest of the game engine spit at it, nothing more; regardless of its track type...

Depending on how the game engine has been written, the only real addition would be to add a new game type - typically games are event systems, so its just a case of making some new rules, and only enforcing them at particular times...

But back on topic, yes we'd all love additions to the LFS race types..

Edit: Interestingly, we do have Point to Point - the drag strip. Its just not customisable yet
Good point TAA. Perhaps that could be a new options for autocross layouts? Seperate start/finish lines.
#12 - axus
Quote from Bob Smith :Good point TAA. Perhaps that could be a new options for autocross layouts? Seperate start/finish lines.

We have that I'm sure...? S is for start point and F for finish line. You just cant put it on a hilly terrain like a hillclimb or on a huge piece of dirt...
Hillclimbs
Direct link is fine sinbad
I think there's more to the rally pack than just that interview but then my memory isn't always the best
The form that it might take is anybodies guess, might come with the next update to the physics. What's Eric been up to lately :
Quote from AndroidXP :Ah yes, this has been suggested many times already

My best guess for such tracks appearing is the upcoming (?) rallypack. I'm sure these would be fun, especially offline. But as LFS mainly concentrates on online circuit racing it will probably take some time before we'll have the chance to race such a kind of tracks.

rallypack? do you know more about this then i do???
Mentioned many times
Then...all talk about it vanished...and never more did we hear about it from the dev`s. Probally just delete it all =(
DAMN GIEF....MEEE...TEH!!:....RALLYPACK!!!!!!!!!111111111

Chill pill..
I want it so bad
+1 for rallies
no one else see the date of this thread?
Yes, I do see the date, and problem is?
Is it illegal to post in outdated topics?

I want that rallypack, tho it never are going to be released. It could boost LFS very much, and it would get more people to go lisence. LFS actually has much racing stuff now, what it needs are some rallycross stuff.

IMO.
Quote from The Very End :Yes, I do see the date, and problem is?
Is it illegal to post in outdated topics?

I want that rallypack, tho it never are going to be released. It could boost LFS very much, and it would get more people to go lisence. LFS actually has much racing stuff now, what it needs are some rallycross stuff.

IMO.

+1, this guy used the search button we should give him a present or something!

I also die for some rally stages, just imagine RBR tracks in LFS.
Quote from Eldanor :I also die for some rally stages, just imagine RBR tracks in LFS.

I'd love to see something like the Aston Racetrack, only for Rallying. One area with multiple narrow dirt/gravel routes. Short straights, many turns, a few hairpins, and a couple of bumps and jumps. *And of course an appropriate car.*

I noticed the 1st post date too, but i don't think it's bad when someone brings up an old (but ignored) topic.
Searching > Necroposting

Anyway, the reason no-one talks about the rallypack anymore, is that, since the devs last mentioned it a few years back, (somewhat by definition) they haven't mentioned it since, so there's little fuel for the fire. We can only assume the plan was either scrapped (bah) or is being kept a surprise (yay).
I guess it's kinda scrapped. The amount of work that would need to go into it to make it good is just too high for something that you wouldn't really be able to use online. Or if you made it online compatible (kinda like the autocross competition mode), then you have even more work to accomplish that.

I just can't see it ever being done with the current workpace/manpower. Sure Eric would be able to scramble a single stage together in a reasonable timeframe, but that is just one stage. Even on RBR where you have comparatively many stages, the times driven there are just beyond anything realistic as all the stages are memorized into the last detail, making pace notes completely unnecessary.

Even if you somehow get the content together, then there's also the point of the physics needing massive updates to warrant putting all the work into the content. The loose surface simulation right now just way too simple to do the job.

All in all, if you want rally action, play RBR. Yes, the devs have said that they plan to simulate anything on wheels, but that statement comes from a time where the release of S1-S3 was planned to be within a single year

Point a to point b
(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG