The online racing simulator
LFS DVD Cover - By KNAPPO
(27 posts, started )
Hi Guys

(if i have posted this in the wrong area, im sorry. Its sorta an Add-On)
I had originally designed this some 4 months ago but i have never publically released it, just given it to friends, UNTILL NOW

This had taken me some 25-30 hours to complete and before i posted it here, i adjust a few more things cos ive learnt a bit more since it was designed.
I work as a graphic designer so this project was rather special to me, i wanted to take LFS to that next step of presentation and have it jump out on the shelves.
the cover screen shot took long enough (but now that ive been racing in the AAL (Australasian League) for a while, i have better shots :razz Ill leave it for now cos it looks sick & i have wanted to make this cover sell LFS not a particular race team, thats why i have used the original skins.

Instead of this cover blasting, LFS has this and LFS has that i decided to make it mor informative.
Hence the "unlocking the FULL content" section & the information on the right hand side.

Please let me know what u guys think as this is its public release (point out any mistakes please)
I have shown this to many people who dont know LFS and they have all liked it.

U guys should understand the significance in the 3 lead cars number plates names on the cover.

Please grab it from here 'top of thread'
http://arse.norbtech.com/phpBB ... pic.php?p=44456#44456

A.R.S.E Forum. "Australian Race Sim Enthusist"
I could submit a slightly bigger file size to my local forum, so win, win
:S shouldnt YOUR name on the backside be alot smaller... or atleast smaller than the devs lol
just protecting my work
Very very nice work.
very nice
Yepp... I better get someone to print this baby out and get a DVD cover.
#7 - Veiti
...nice work! But it shouldn't be "Graphic Design: Stuart..." but "Cover Art: Stuart...". Otherwise it could be misunderstood.
yep, nice artwork, very immpreesssive
@KNAPPO

Very nice there
I think the font on the back will be unreadable if you actually print it.
Bit overloaded too, but looking ok overall.
[EDIT] and too many fonts/styles/colors/sizes
Quote from Veiti :...nice work! But it shouldn't be "Graphic Design: Stuart..." but "Cover Art: Stuart...". Otherwise it could be misunderstood.

Um i dont think so, this is the kind of work a Graphic Designer does, among many other things.

Quote from ORION :I think the font on the back will be unreadable if you actually print it.

Its not i print tested it so many times to make sure this wouldnt be a problem, TRUST ME.
I have a copy printed and i can read all of the disclaimer info at the very bottom of the back cover.

Glad u guys like it.
Quote from KNAPPO :just protecting my work

protecting it from what?

if it's just a showcase, fine, but if it's meant to be used as an actual DVD cover, your name should be somewhere at the bottom in small letters, but not bigger than the names of the 3 devs together! illepall

You missed the point of a cover here! It's about the game, not who made the cover.
You protected it by releasing it here, nobody can rip it off and say "it's mine". So you should consider removing that, and also what orion said about the fonts. It's a little bit too much everywhere.
Quote from KNAPPO :Um i dont think so, this is the kind of work a Graphic Designer does, among many other things.

But written on the cover of a game it can be read as you were the graphics designer of the game. So it is common (just take a look at audio cds and books) to write "cover art by....", because you have designed the cover (using ingame material) and not the graphics of the game.

As Incognito wrote before, it is more than just strange that you have written your name in bigger letters than the names of the 3 devs. illepall
It's his work so he can decide where and how big to put his name. Instead of moaning around you could create your own cover and make it better. Nothing against critics, but repeating the same thing all the time together with smilies like illepall are not fair in my opinion.
I like it!

I might not use it, as I don't have LFS on CD (on it's own), and nor do I own black DVD cases. But I like it, and I've downloaded it.

It's not perfect, but I couldn't get to within 5% of it, so on that basis it gets a :up: from me.
I think I will upgrade my LfS S1 DVD cover (from contest) to S2 soon...
Quote from GP4Flo :It's his work so he can decide where and how big to put his name. Instead of moaning around you could create your own cover and make it better. Nothing against critics, but repeating the same thing all the time together with smilies like illepall are not fair in my opinion.

...of course he can do it the way he wants to. But in his 1st posting he wanted us to say what we think about it. So I thought it was more than fair not only to say "we like it" or "we don't like it" but point out some reasons. That's all. I said I like it in general and made clear what is imho still wrong. I got the feeling that Knappo got my 1st posting wrong, so I got a bit more up-front. I didn't want to be impolite - maybe this is due to my bad English.

BTW, I thought illepall stands for "I am wondering....".
Quote from GP4Flo :It's his work so he can decide where and how big to put his name. Instead of moaning around you could create your own cover and make it better. Nothing against critics, but repeating the same thing all the time together with smilies like illepall are not fair in my opinion.

SIGH, this is EXACTLY why i held of giving this away for 4 months.
Every one is entitled to there opinion and yes i understand your points, but if you can do better than go right ahead.

I did it my way and i stand by that

I originally posted this on my local forum, a couple said that i should share it with the lfs forum so i thought why not share it because there are not that many covers out there that i know of.
Quote from Veiti :

BTW, I thought illepall stands for "I am wondering....".

Not quite so. It rather means "I find your pattern of thought is not quite en par with mine", or more bluntly put "you are stupid".
But you could possibly express that you are trying to cleanse your left ear, but due to therman upwinds fail to hit the right spot

BTT: I quite like the cover. But I have to agree with orion taht it is a little "packed".
Looks good, I gotta commend you for your work, but several things get in the way of being convinced to use it (if I ever had the need to)
  • DVD Rom? Game doesn't even max out on a normal CD. I know it is for a DVD Rom case, but oh well, all in good fun I guess.
  • Autocross Layout on cover (Drag, Skidpad, Autocross) -- You have two long drag strips and autocross section, where is the circle skidpad?
  • Supported by Firefox??? The website just has the Firefox icon on there like many other sites have... that doesn't mean Firefox/Mozilla supports them, just a recommendation to use that browser.
  • Last paragraph, "Live for speed world" -- that should be capitalized shouldn't it?
  • "and allows you to unlock a further 10 cars and 3 track areas" -- That doesn't sound right, I would recommend using "and allows you to further unlock.." OR "and allows you to unlock 10 more cars and 3 new track areas".
  • Lower left "Broardband Internet" is mispelled
  • You keep using "On-Line", I've never seen it with a hyphen before
  • And I don't think LFS supports dEmporium anymore.
Other things that would make it unofficial:
-GZOX JGTC skin in background

But then again, you note the graphics work is not official, so at least you know

Don't take it too hard, I saw this after 5 mins of looking at it or so, just seeing if you want to perfect it You are steps ahead of most people's attempts, just needs finishing touches if you feel like it.

*** I do still agree with others on 'Graphic/Cover Design', your name is huge compared to the 3 respected devs, their work (and names) should be one of the most visible parts of the cover, front or back. EDIT: So maybe keep your name on the back like that, but on the front somewhere, put S - E - V (shortened) on the bottom or top of the cover.
Quote from Veiti :BTW, I thought illepall stands for "I am wondering....".

Whoops, as far as I know it means crazy, I'd use this for wondering
Very professional work Knappo, amazing!

Couple of small notes though, a lot of them just 'agreeing' with the others:
- in the last paragraph: "....providing racers with comprehensive statistics of THERE On-Line activities...." Should be THEIR . A very common mistake, I think we all have made at least once
- The FireFox logo in the "supported by" list (mentioned b4)
- The back of the cover indeed is a bit packed... but I think al lot of it has to do with the background image you use... I bet you've got it layered as a psd file somewhere so this shouldn't be too much of a difficulty to play with?

And there's some more stuff, but that's really just repeating the other's comments...

*** your own name indeed is too big imo, I respect your work and I might have even done the same if I would be able to create such professional work but... it just seems odd, with the names of the actual developers just above it in a much smaller font... anyway, as mentioned before in this thread, it's your choice!

Good work anyway and no, I couldn't do it any better! Just commenting to help you enhancing the design and become the official Cover Art designer for LFS Final

TraXX
NIce job!

Please could I upload it on my web site to have a mirror for the Italian LFS users?
Quote from mpracer :NIce job!

Please could I upload it on my web site to have a mirror for the Italian LFS users?

I am doing an update of this so ill keep you posted
Very professional work! looks like a stress test for color laser @work!

Many thanks

(27 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG