The online racing simulator
more real mirrors
(40 posts, started )
more real mirrors
I would like to have a more real wiew in the mirrors.

When I look in the senter mirror, it puzzels me I cant se wing, neck pads, etc.

It wouls also be great to have adjustable mirrors, but might be moore work

Just a idea, don't think this has been brought up before, but plaease delete thread if it has.....

peace out
i know.. nice wolfi
It has been brought up before.
Allthough it would be more realistic to view parts of your car in the mirrors, it would also hamper the already very limited view out of the small mirrors.
Also, I guess that it would need a tad more processing power, allthough that shouldn't be a problem with modern machines. Not all LfS racers have modern machines though, so that's also one thing to keep in mind.
You could argue to make it optional, but then I guess that most racers would turn it off, because of both the decrease in performance and the obstructed view, thus making implementing such a feature not really worth the while of Scawen.

So conclusively, I think that this feature should be left alone until standard graphic cards can cope with real-time raytracing.
+1

it just doesn't seem as real not seeing the roll cage and wing blocking my view in the GTR cars. should definitely be something you can disable for those that don't like it, but i would definitely be using it.
Quote from ColeusRattus :It has been brought up before.
Allthough it would be more realistic to view parts of your car in the mirrors, it would also hamper the already very limited view out of the small mirrors.
Also, I guess that it would need a tad more processing power, allthough that shouldn't be a problem with modern machines. Not all LfS racers have modern machines though, so that's also one thing to keep in mind.
You could argue to make it optional, but then I guess that most racers would turn it off, because of both the decrease in performance and the obstructed view, thus making implementing such a feature not really worth the while of Scawen.

So conclusively, I think that this feature should be left alone until standard graphic cards can cope with real-time raytracing.

Try replacing "cockpit in mirror" with "cockpit in forward view" in your argument... Every fact still applies, but see how most people prefer cockpit ON?

It feels much better, for example, to see the backseats when you look back in LFS, than to see through the car like in any ISI sim. Don't you think so?

+1 from me.
btw: I also made the misstake using side mirror when parking beside a car(or tried to).

By the look of things, the side mirrors use the same image as the center mirror(so when I thought he was clear, I was hitting half of he's frontend:shrug

Seperate images for seperate mirrors should be a MUST, if not, why the heck are they there??
Another +1. I really like this idea and i find it practical. It would be more realistic to see parts of the car in the mirrors, since LFS is a simulator. Also the idea with adjustable mirrors is fine.
Hope we see it in LFS.
i aggree with it too
Quote :By the look of things, the side mirrors use the same image as the center mirror(so when I thought he was clear, I was hitting half of he's frontend:shrug

True, it's just a slice of the center mirror. It needs something better, even if you can't see you car's parts, at least different views, because right now this slices are increasing our blindspots
yep! it´s funny to drive in a fbm! if the car behind you(of course a fbm too) is like 20m away you think it´s a road car
nice bump here :bump:
I just found out that I replied to this thread a day before my 25th birthday, so it's 1 and a half years old. Now that was pointed out by Falke already, but I thought upon clicking on it, as I clearly remembered the convo in here, that this thread was recent.

So this brings me to one of those "you play too much LfS" points:

You play too much LfS when you think 1 and a half year old threads are recent!
I agree. We need more realistic mirrors, especially side mirrors. It will help prevent crashes, as less blindspots and better visibility.
Quote from racerboy59 :I agree. We need more realistic mirrors, especially side mirrors. It will help prevent crashes, as less blindspots and better visibility.

Holy thread bump batman!

Older problems with more 'realistic' mirrors was increased calculations (less FPS), but really they will only help on outside mirrors, the rear mirror would be restricted (seeing rear window, spoilers.. etc.)
Quote from XCNuse :Holy thread bump batman!

Older problems with more 'realistic' mirrors was increased calculations (less FPS), but really they will only help on outside mirrors, the rear mirror would be restricted (seeing rear window, spoilers.. etc.)

Who gives a damn! The way it is in real life, should be in LFS.. as the game holds the Simulator word. It is eyecandy and realism..
What's the harm FPS drops shouldn't be so bad anymore, as the computers have been improved alot.
No I know, I'm just saying, he's saying it will prevent crashing, but if you can't see out the back lol.. that isn't helping!

No I 100% agree, I've been wanting to see the mirrors fixed since early S1!
My comment was mostly aimed towards the side/wing mirrors. As you'd like to see who is beside you before and during a turn. I've been spun out so many times it isn't even funny any more.

And i'm sure the majority of us can cope with a few FPS drop. I mean i'm running a mid range PC from 2006 and everything is on max details, resolution and in a race full of 30 people I still max out the framerate

Also would be cool if you can adjust them for wider angle, as you can in real life.

Also i'm not holding my breath for anything to happen. I know the team probably have plenty of other stuff they would rather be doing.
Yea the angle mirrors thing has been in the improvement section now for about as long as I've been part of LFS..

As for seeing who's beside you going in to a turn, the only way you can do that in a car in the real world is looking around.. standard mirrors for sure don't do that!

Unless you install extra wide angle mirrors on your car..
I fully agree, but I want to know if the devs even take the time to look at this, it would be nice to get some form of recognition from them, indicating that they have taken note of the suggest and why or why not they will improve on it.

If anyone has a more personal knowledge basis of the devs might want to send this suggestion to one of them specifically becuz at the moment it seem as if they are no where to be found, seeing that we have not heard ANYTHING of the Scirocco and why it has taken so blinking long.

COME ON DEVS, PLEASE TELL US SOMETHING!!!!!!!
Well history has shown if they show any interest in items or even discuss upcomming possible improvements, then some forums users (noisy minority) take that as a binding contract and then complain like blazers when it isn't done yet and cause never-ending arguments and they just keep comming out of the woodwork.

Can't blame the devs for not responding nowadays.
I dont want to come across as a moaner, it is just that when u have a game as good as LFS, u need to try and keep up to date with the discussions, or at least give a genral statement letting all the racers know about the progress of an up date or patch, I mean come on, its been 7 months since there was any formal statement given with regards to the Scirocco
Quote from M3THANOL :I dont want to come across as a moaner, it is just that when u have a game as good as LFS, u need to try and keep up to date with the discussions, or at least give a genral statement letting all the racers know about the progress of an up date or patch, I mean come on, its been 7 months since there was any formal statement given with regards to the Scirocco

There was just a statement the other day from a German interview saying the physics are being looked at.

You've only been here a year, I wouldn't be the one to complain

They are all very busy people, I don't think you need to worry about them 'giving up'
+1 from me.
This is why we have "Self In Cockpit Rearview=" in ISI sims.

Another big thing related to mirrors is the damge model. It should be "Be careful not to get too close to the wall / another car or you'll lose a side mirror." !
Quote from Keling :+1 from me.
This is why we have "Self In Cockpit Rearview=" in ISI sims.

Another big thing related to mirrors is the damge model. It should be "Be careful not to get too close to the wall / another car or you'll lose a side mirror." !

agreed, but that is a known issiue, (the damage that is) i was wondering why i could not park in a driving test in lfs for crap, ajustable mirrors would be great, then seeing your car in the mirrors is slightly behind, and different views for all mirrors is a must imo. it would also be good if you changed perspective to the mirror if the mirror changed too, as in you are not constantly seing the same thing no matter where you are...whoa long postish
LFS taught me how to parallel park perfectly.. dunno what you're talking about.

When you are taking a driving test or otherwise you can't change your mirrors.

Really they don't need to be adjustable, the angles just need to change to be like more realistic mirrors so they don't overlap that much.

more real mirrors
(40 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG