The online racing simulator
How do you build a setup ?
(11 posts, started )
The trouble with building a setup is that there are so many variables to play with that it's quite overwhelming.

Is there a method that can be used to properly build a setup from scratch ? I suppose you should start by setting up the gears, but once that is done, what are the next steps ? Is there a logical order for what to look into (ie: first springs, then dampers, then ARB) ?
These guides are very good and worth a read.

I am going to produce an article on how I go about setting up my cars. In the meantime here are some of the things I do.

First I try a few different sets (inferno or maybe one you know is good on another track) and pick the one that feels the best and produces the most consistent times.

Watch the WR hotlap and click 'Test Drive'. Try it and see if it feels better than yours. It probably will so you need to try and recreate the feeling.

Think about how your set behaves differently to the WR set. Is it less stable under braking, over bumps or does it understeer more mid corner?

Then use the basic rules set out in the guides to adjust the settings to try and recreate the feeling.

Use the damper settings to adjust the balance in transition i.e. corner entry and exit. Use the ARBs and springs to adjust the balance in static state - i.e. mid corner under part or full throttle.

Once you have the balance about right at corner entry, mid and exit then you now need to re-adjust the camber angles to get the max from the tyres.

Do this by watching the WR lap. Slow the replay down to a quarter speed. Take a note of the tyre temps at the start of the lap. At the end of the lap repeat the process. You should have two sets of tyre temps each with 4 tyres and 3 temps for each tyre - inside, middle and outside.

Do a test run with your setup. Do the same number of laps as the WR. If the WR was set on lap 2 then do two laps and save the replay.

Watch the replay and note down all the tyre temps at the start and end of the lap again. Compare the tyre temps from your setup to that of the WR setup.

If your front tyre temps are hotter on the inside than the outside by a greater amount then the WR set then you need less camber and vice-versa.

If the tyre temps are hotter right across the surface then you need more air pressure and vice-versa.

Try and get all the tyre temps so they are as close as possible to the WR.

You may then find that if you have got more grip from, say the front tyres (relative to the rears) by changing cambers then you might need to adjust the suspension balance slightly again. This is an iterative process.

Don't forget about the brake balance - very important. If the car won't turn in when braking then try adding more rear brake. If the car snap oversteers while braking then try more front brake.
that helps a lot.

I suck hard at setups. I can make a good one, but not good enough for the big stcc standards (for example).

What I know is to change the "ONE" setting I know I must have in two categories.

First I start with the suspension. I found that if the suspension is jumpy just enough, I have good grip by default. So i just make it jumpy-ish.
Then, without tweaking anything else on the suspension, I go to the tires and apply what i know it works. Camber and pressures.
After these 3 basis I try the car and I start to tweak the suspension and tyres in order to give me oversteer or understeer, without the tyres burning up. You know. Softer rear suspension than the front = understeer etc etc.

To gain the extra 1 or 2 seconds, is where I fail completelly and proud of it! the ones that lose to me in a race are losing to a sucky setup but good driver
OK OK i help and i not actually demo lol, but wen i was i came across a really good setup some1 on this forum was giving it out it's racefinal google it i can get 1.25 in it before i got 1.32 lol
Quote from Killer lemur :OK OK i help and i not actually demo lol, but wen i was i came across a really good setup some1 on this forum was giving it out it's racefinal google it i can get 1.25 in it before i got 1.32 lol

Care to develop on that point?
Quote from Killer lemur :but wen i was i came across a really good setup some1 on this forum was giving it out it's racefinal google it i can get 1.25 in it before i got 1.32 lol

What are you saying here? Sorry I don't understand this.
well try no tyre preasure camber front-0.8 and then rear -2.0 parrlell steer 0% brake balance 75 950nm 100cm rear 90cm front front suspension stiffness 70 use a lockked diff and final drive work out ur self antiroll 85 rear 100 front 9.0rebound damping same at other end toe should be 0.0 and my s2 licience is Irishman obviously not saying pass and if u want proof hmmmmmmm UF1 55hp and sauber 720hp
#9 - Jakg
IrishMan doesn't exist as an S2 account.

The Irish Man is an account another forum member (Harjun) gave away to another user.
Quote from FlyeThemoon :I looking for my Polish LANGUAGE (sorry) .

Would you like to file a missing language report?

(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG