The online racing simulator
#1 - 240Z
LFS Collision System !
Has anybody else had a gentle nudge from another player and then been thrown around as if you you've been hit by a train! I have had this quite a few times, and twice today (1 recorded if anyone wants to see it).

I love LFS (especially CTRA) so am not knocking it at all, just..could there be a bug or something? I have version X10. Should I download it again? Would this help?

And it's not doing much for my finished race stats.

Minor rant over.

Paul
It's no secret that LFS' collision detection isn't perfected yet. At all. So yeah, many people have had that happen. Not always that bad, though. And yes, it's very annoying. Unfortunately there's not much we can do about it Hopefully patch Y will have somewhat better collision detection.
+1

thats simply the way it is .....
+1

Defitnly annoying, especially on B & J.
That is almost knowing for sure your rocketered up in the air.
I certainly hope the Y patch will have some updates on that particular.
thats why i do not drive B&J anymore...
Everyone have problems with it

I`ll bet that rallycross would be hell of a lot more popular if they fixed the crash detection bug. Because then there would be possible to have good and near racing where little contact is possible. Now in LFS it isn`t possible, because if you simple gently slide on the side of a driver, he will be launched up in the air, or out of track or even worse. It shouldn`t be like this, there will allways be contacts in motorsport, not big, but small bumps here and there, but in LFS this ends in a tragedy most of the times, I really had hoped that this would be a on the top of things to do for the DEV`s.
LFS or Latency ?
I dont get this bug very much at all Ive been able to race very close to others even rubbing and nudging without problems, I do tend to race with people I know and who have good connections, maybe a little lag plays a part in exagerating things, it only takes one person to leave on P2P software and it lags everyone in the server. now the collision with barriers and SO pit kerbing is defo a bug but I dont get this with other cars unless they park in my pitbox before I leave pits

SD.
Lucky you then
I am not downloading anything, and my internett is all good, gets around 30-60 latency on most of the popular servers. Still I see a lot of time that a little contact can be fatal, and it sucks big time :/
I am not suprise that you do not have this problem SparkyDave :-).

First, racers need to catch you and it is already rare :-))

Just for fun...

Michel
#10 - 240Z
Thanks guys
Glad to know its not just me who is affected by this.

In fact I have found that the racing behaviour on CTRA (with very occasional exception) is generally very good. Each time I get 'blatted' in this way, I record it and then watch later. In almost every circumstance when I think that it might be the fault of another driver, it turns out that there was no one really to blame. No -really!

(Obviously there are also the usual racing incidents which do occur and which you have to accept or report but this thread is not about those).

It's just one of those things I guess.

Anyway, see you all out on the track soon.

Cheers
Paul
Quote from 240Z :Thanks guys
Glad to know its not just me who is affected by this.

In fact I have found that the racing behaviour on CTRA (with very occasional exception) is generally very good. Each time I get 'blatted' in this way, I record it and then watch later. In almost every circumstance when I think that it might be the fault of another driver, it turns out that there was no one really to blame. No -really!

(Obviously there are also the usual racing incidents which do occur and which you have to accept or report but this thread is not about those).

It's just one of those things I guess.

Anyway, see you all out on the track soon.

Cheers
Paul

Thats very true. Many times people get blamed for crashing someone, when it only was the lag. I have experienced that on my screen I was like 10 meter away from a other car, some seconds later :
xxx - The Very End : WTF?! Crasher!

It`s utterly stupid sometimes that you crash people that you seem to be far away from, and I`ll bet many people have been baned wrongly because of this.
Quote from The Very End :Thats very true. Many times people get blamed for crashing someone, when it only was the lag. I have experienced that on my screen I was like 10 meter away from a other car, some seconds later :
xxx - The Very End : WTF?! Crasher!

It`s utterly stupid sometimes that you crash people that you seem to be far away from, and I`ll bet many people have been baned wrongly because of this.

I doubt anyone would have been banned from CTRA from a lag crash, as the mods look at the replays from incident reports before making any decisions.
Actually, most leagues are pretty fair when it comes to lag, example being LOTA, where I "hit" someone, but in my version of the MPR, I'm nowhere close to him, and with submitted replay, cleared my name. Most leagues operate on a very similar ground, and if my memory works correctly, the CTRA has done in the past.
Quote from Origamiboy :I doubt anyone would have been banned from CTRA from a lag crash, as the mods look at the replays from incident reports before making any decisions.

But the lag doesn`t only occur on CTRA servers
And not all mods are interesting in hearing on you if they belive you did a mistake.
In my experience the admins are very fair on laggers. I reported 2 seperate incidents that were dismissed because the admin perceived them to be lag. I can't complain. At the time I didn't realise it was lag but on a closer inspection of the replays I had to agree with the admins so it was fair enough.

I did have a big lag incident with Sparky some time ago where I'd apparently whacked him very hard and spun him out of the race, if I remember correctly. When he asked me about it during the race, I hadn't a clue. As far as I knew I hadn't even been near him and certainly hadn't felt any impact at all and my car was totally undamaged. Thankfully he knows I wouldn't have hit him without at least apologising if I'd known so that saved my bacon I suppose Anyhow, I must still be feeling guilty otherwise I would have forgotten about it by now. Sorry Sparky
I can only speak for the CTRA reporting system, but we do review the replays to check that what has been reported has happened, and to decide the appropriate conclusion.

If an incident is down to lag, it will show in the replay. Mr. Very End has nothing to fear on that score.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG