The online racing simulator
Physics in Single Player different in multiplayer?
Hi... i noticed that yesterday while practicing to a race..
I was doing the test drive, in hotlap mode i did about 25 laps FOX@Ky2r, all of that with the same tyres making high 39's and low 40's alll the way.... and while playing my tyres last around 5 laps using the same set, making the same times, and in some servers I'm fast, in others no, the same combo though... for example, in one server i can go like .2 off WR, and in another i cant even get into .5 off WR no wind of course. My question is are the speed or physics different in single player or multiplayer through different servers?

i hope i explained myself....
Thanks for reading
Cheers!
#2 - bbman
No.
No. Why would they be different? Why would Scawen make 2 different sets of physics for the same game? There are no physics differences between SP and MP.
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :No. Why would they be different? Why would Scawen make 2 different sets of physics for the same game? There are no physics differences between SP and MP.

not physics in general, what im trying to say, is why u can go faster in one server than in another? or in SP than in MP? maybe the conection? i dont know.... but thats my case, i go faster in SP than in MP
#5 - word.
Maybe its because some servers you join have lots of people, so you get lower fps. this makes your controller input less smooth.
Or wind.
The one server might also have more grip layed downon the track too.
Quote from Rappa Z :The one server might also have more grip layed downon the track too.

no.
Quote from FC3SCorey :Or wind.

o cmon im not so stupid
Quote from Rappa Z :The one server might also have more grip layed downon the track too.

yes, thats what i feel, grip and no grip in other servers
Grip doesnt change on the tracks... it has skidmarks, but they dont change the grip on that piece of track.
Wind isn't such a stupid explanation. Depending on its strength it can affect top speed (positively or negatively) and corner speed more than enough to alter a lap time by tenths of a second, especially in winged cars. I was in a SO1/FOX server once, with half a dozen or so other guys, where some hotlapper was begging/whining/bitching to have the wind turned off because he was going for a WR. Should've seen the fireworks when he realised it wasn't going to happen because we were there to race each other, not help him hotlap Wah!

AFAIK LFS tyres don't lay down "grip" either - the grip on LFS tracks is static. Tyremarks build up but that's only graphical at this stage. Maybe rubber build-up will come in a future version.

However...
Quote from word :Maybe its because some servers you join have lots of people, so you get lower fps. this makes your controller input less smooth.

This makes sense. Ping, load on your graphics card and the effects they may have on your control could factor into your loss of precious tenths

Or maybe it's just your perception. Maybe the pressure from racing people makes you more tense than when you're hotlapping alone, so you make more errors or aren't as smooth

But, tbh, the silliest explanation of all would be two different sets of physics for SP and MP! It would be a pointless and enormous waste of time for Scawen. He's got enough on his plate working with one set of physics, you'd think ...
#12 - Woz
is online balancing still in place. If so the Offline play has different weight and inlet setting for some cars until they are fully balanced in the next physics comp patch
^Good point, forgot about the GTR weights (haven't raced them for a while) ...
Quote from word. :Maybe its because some servers you join have lots of people, so you get lower fps. this makes your controller input less smooth.

If this is true... Damn thats why I'm so slow
Quote from Woz :is online balancing still in place. If so the Offline play has different weight and inlet setting for some cars until they are fully balanced in the next physics comp patch

But the original post talks of the FOX. No balancing between the FOX and, well, the FOX.....
Quote from Scottie :Grip doesnt change on the tracks... it has skidmarks, but they dont change the grip on that piece of track.

I am not so sure about that, there certainly seems some grip differential between some tracks
Quote from danowat :I am not so sure about that, there certainly seems some grip differential between some tracks

Of course fern bay hass less grip than aston, but I think Scottie means that the grip on one track is always the same.

Wind can really have a big effect on lap times and that's probably the case here.
EDIT: No it isn't, I try to read more carefully next time
Quote from danowat :I am not so sure about that, there certainly seems some grip differential between some tracks

But they are talking about the same track. More grip on racing line where most rubber is layed down is not supported by LFS yet.

- Also balacing is out of question becouse (as allready stated) FOX doesn't have that, he's in a class of its own.

- Wind apparently isn't in question becouse OP stated there's was no wind in SP or MP servers and he checked that.

Low FPS could easily be the answer.

Just made this points becouse I saw people saying same stuff over and over.

Edit: Did you by any chance race in CTRA Single seater server? Don't know is FOX affected (sp?) by X System, tho...
It's just you and your mind... More than once I had to redo a setup I made the day before (and felt pretty good) because it was undriveable (competitively) the next day...
Quote from BlackEye :But they are talking about the same track. More grip on racing line where most rubber is layed down is NOT supported by LFS yet.

I know it was a typo, but you missed a critical word. I've added it for clarity.
online you have additional weights on several cars (xrt, fxo, fzr, xrr). So do not wonder if you are faster offline then. Besides that, the rest is imagination.
Quote from tristancliffe :I know it was a typo, but you missed a critical word. I've added it for clarity.

Agh, yes... Thank you
Interesting subject, I remember once on one server i was a constant 20 tenths down on the first split and spent many hours driving like a madman thinking I was losing touch. Joined another server and things were normal? I did all the checks wind, weather, time of day, checked fuel even. Just could not figure it out! too top it off both servers had lowish pings and i could lap better on high pinging servers too! In the end I ruled it off as mind playing tricks, (I dodge that server now its cursed!"
There is another factor here, but it is quite complex.

Computers measure time in milliseconds, but the hardware that does this is typically cheaply put together and not very accurage. It can actually vary as much as 5% each way.

What this means is that when you are in single player a second for you might be 0.95 of a second or 1.05 of a second, or more likely somewhere nearer the middle.

Now this in itself means nothing, as the physics are tied into the milliseconds too (one physics cycle every 5 milliseconds) but for the human playing the game, it can translate to slightly more reaction time.

In multiplayer LFS adjusts everybodies clock to syncronise to the server time so that there is no advantage, but in single player this is not available.

Just one more reason to dismiss hotlappers .

lol what?!:ices_rofl

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG