The online racing simulator
Anti-virus
(64 posts, started )
Anti-virus
There was no software thread, so I'm putting this here. I'm sick and tired of using the Norton Suite to keep my PC safe. It's a hulking program that uses so many resources... so I'm looking for alternatives.

So far, what I've come up with is to just use NOD32 for antivirus and Zone-Alarm for my firewall (which I've been using in addition to Norton Internet Security so far). And I will continue to use Spybot and Adaware to take care of spyware. Does that cover all the bases pretty well, or am I leaving something out?

The only thing I'm going to miss is stuff like Norton WinDoctor, which always finds tons of stuff to repair.
You should get rid of anything Norton, it is crap. NOD32 and a good anti-spy app such as AVG is more than enough.
I personally don't use any anti-virus or anti spy-ware, but I keep Ad-Aware SE and SpyBot S&E on a disc just incase. They don't do virus' but they sure as hell wipe spyware and adware when properly updated and configured. Hijackthis is a good program IF you know how to use it, gets rid of worms and harder to delete bugs. All of those are free. As for actually AV protection, I hear that Avast or NOD32 are the bees-knees.
~Bryan~
#4 - ajp71
I don't run any active protection but have Avast installed, with all the active protection turned off and use it solely to scan the odd iffy download and to scan my PC every few months. I've never found a virus on my computer since the rest of the family moved to a faster computer (that's so loaded with crap it runs slower), with a bit of common sense you don't need to worry about viruses and spyware in the first place
Thats pretty much the way I look at things, ajp71. Once my sister and mom stopped using the computer as often I found I stopped getting junk built up. Before I would get a major virus twice a year, and have to completely reformat anually. But this copy is going 2 years strong, just as clean and fast as the day I installed it. Just browse with Firefox, and careful with P2P and such.
~Bryan~
Well, unfortunately I came across Norton 360, and from what I'm reading it seems like they've fixed a lot of things, including the memory usage... what do you guys think? Everyone seems to love it.

EDIT: Gah, too many people are having trouble with Norton 360 for me to chance it, so I'll just go with NOD32 and ZoneAlarm or something for the firewall.
Sounds like a plan. I've always found Norton to leave to big of a footprint, it eats up my system. Even if you have a dual-core, nobody likes being held up by shit they shouldn't. NOD32 is really easy to use also.
~Bryan~
Try Trend Micro software
Ughhh, so many freaking options - I DUNNO WHAT TO DO!!!
#11 - Jakg
Currently running on AVG + Firewall because it's the cheapeast way to do the whole house (2 years, 3 PC's = £25), NOD32 is probably better but i don't really need anti-virus, but it's got such a negligable performance hit i don't mind.
Yea, I dunno. My friend, who like LIVES inside his computer(s) said, and I quote, "OH YOU" when I told him I was probably going to go with AVG. He said its not very good, and NOD32 is better.
As long as your not some warez addicted pr0n fien you'll be fine with either, TBH.
~Bryan~
I've used AVG for a while without problems. I got it originally when I had my old PC because it had the smallest memory footprint of the AV programs I checked out and I needed all the help I could get.

Never tried NOD32 though, so can't say anything about it.
I'm using AVG, and, as far as i can tell, it works fine. Easy to use, finds viruses...
I once heard if you run your PC with no anti-virus you get hundreds of "shit" in about 5 minutes.

AVG + Firewall for me too. But I didn't pay £25...
Hundreds of shit, eh? Better get a bucket and mop I've been running no firewall or antivirus for a little over 2 years on this copy of XP, and the only things that have sprouted up were my own fault by not verifying sketchy exes, but i caught them before they hardly got a chance to open.
~Bryan~
Proud NOD32 user here, go download the 1 month trial from NOD32 website!
If you want the best, get Kaspersky.
Hmmm.... well, I'm gonna go ahead and work with NOD32 and ZoneAlarm for now and see how that goes with the trial, and then go from there. Thanks for all your input guys.
Quote from The General Lee :I once heard if you run your PC with no anti-virus you get hundreds of "shit" in about 5 minutes.

AVG + Firewall for me too. But I didn't pay £25...

i usethis too, but i'm not happy.
I can say anti-virus with firewall in it will works good, like BitDefender, Kaspersky , NOD32 and ofter...
#22 - Jakg
AVG Pro + Firewall on my latop, AVG Free on my PC (but it's not on 24/7 - only so I can click right click and "Scan")
i use norton 360 no trouble here. It uses about 2% of my system resources. FSX only uses 50% and vista uses 5%
#24 - Jakg
Norton 360 is SHITE. Trust me.
I don't use any anti-virus sw, just Ad-Aware, i was bored of searching some medicine for NOD32, which is imo the best anti-virus sw. But if my system seems infected, i just format C: and install new win.

Anti-virus
(64 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG