The online racing simulator
Help with lmproving laptimes
(15 posts, started )
Can any of you look at my laps and give me a clue how to get faster as i feel stuck in a rut.
My best lap at aston club in the Fox is 1:02 something but usually i get 1:03:50 ish or worse.
The car feels very slow after playing Rfactor in the RF1.
It's very frustrating.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Cheers

Attached files
Tonyp23_AS2_FOX_10232.spr - 95.2 KB - 266 views
You're braking way, way too early for T1. The braking point is ~50m, you lifted off before the 100m board.

Get onto the brakes hard. You're taking multiple seconds to transition from full throttle to full brake, which in this car should be almost instant. It's very stable under braking.

Shift down faster to help the car slow down more. Get your downshifts out of the way earlier - you hit the apex in 3rd and didn't shift into 2nd until after the apex, when you should already be on the power. Hold the apex longer at T1 so you get a nice smooth exit.

The chicanes are flat out. No downshift, no lift, nothing. Your minimum speed through the first chicane went all the way down to the 160kph range when it should be in the 180s. The fastest guys can keep their speed around 190 through that chicane. You're also turning in too early. Use the tarmac color change as your turn-in guide.

You didn't use a lot of track at the second hairpin. The wider you make the bend, the more speed you can carry through it.

Time your gearshifts better. My setup for AS Club shifts into 6th at 196kph normally. Always 196. Sometimes you'd wait until almost 200kph before shifting and another time you shifted before 190. That costs you time all the way down the straight.

The braking zones seem to be your weakest point. You're simply not hard enough on the brakes and you're taking way too long to blend your phases (i.e. braking and turning in) together. You should be shifting into 2nd as you start to turn in. Apply a bit of throttle to maintain speed through the apex, then gradually add the power after the apex to get a smooth fast exit.

Download the WR replay and watch that.
You're braking far too late and completely missing the apex of each corner. Brake early, do all your braking before the apex, then accelerate through the corner for the best exit possible. Although AS Club is short, it's a high-speed track, and the exit of each corner is critical, as every mph you carry out of the corners will translate into better speed on the straights, which will give you a better lap time overall. You are smooth and you seem to have good car control, just go slow into the corners and come out of them fast.
Quote from DarkTimes :You're braking far too late

Eh? Are we watching the same replay? Every lap I saw him lift off at or before the 100m board.
He lifts off, yes, but he doesn't start braking until much later. Really he should be braking at the point he is lifting, instead of letting the car roll for 25 meters.
Quote from DarkTimes :He lifts off, yes, but he doesn't start braking until much later. Really he should be braking at the point he is lifting, instead of letting the car roll for 25 meters.

Ah, gotcha. Since the latest patch my throttle/brake indicator is missing. What's the command for that?
Thanks guys,

I'm taking note of both your comments and gonna try bits of both to see what results i get.
i just got a couple of 1:02's in a row and i never done that before.
I'm changing down quicker into 2nd before the turn and hugging the apex which makes for a faster and smoother exit.
Your both right of course. i need to get on peddals quicker.

Need to solve the 1st chicane cos if I turn in any later and don't ease off the throttle, Im onto the grass.

The world record holder seems to turn the wheel a lot but I would spin if i done that.

I'm gonna practice in tomorrow.

I need to get a 1:01

Cheers
Quote from TonyP23 :
Need to solve the 1st chicane cos if I turn in any later and don't ease off the throttle, Im onto the grass.

The world record holder seems to turn the wheel a lot but I would spin if i done that.

Yeah I had trouble with that chicane when I first started out. I was lifting a lot, but it seemed as though if I went any faster I'd be in the grass at the second apex or hit the wall on the exit. However, it's actually quite easy once you learn the correct line. You have to learn to be confident in the FOX - don't be afraid to just throw it in there. It holds the road beautifully and rewards confident driving.

Turn in rather sharply right where the tarmac changes color, with the intent to just touch the first apex kerb with your left-front tire. If you do that, you're in the perfect position for the exit. Get the entry right and the exit just comes naturally.
#9 - ebola
Remember more speed = more downforce so you have to be confident through the chicane. Once you have done it without lifting you will wonder why you ever lifted!
Follow what they said about braking an exits.

As for power thru the corner, especially T1 and last corner, the fox has a tendancy to spin if u apply power, but u can prevent that by adding a lil counter steering AS you add power, then turn back to steer out.

As for the chicane, the correct line is quite simple. Run your right front tyre over the colour change, then along the inside (left) side of it. So you turn in, cross over the colour change, and aim to put ur right wheel right on the border of the colour change.

In the last corner braking zone, take a tight entry (there are many lines into there) but make sure ur wheel is dead straight during braking (make sure u don't run up the outside curb). That will reduce your braking distance cause it'll prevent the front right locking up under braking. On T1, add power just at/after apex, in the last corner, add it when the white tent comes into view. You can do it earlier but its not easy. You get it all right, you should be in low 101's or better.

Venus
Great advice Venus.
Thanks to everyone.
It's good that I can come back and read all these tips.
keeps me interested in the sim.
Gettting in the 1:02's a bit now, so something is happening.
Gonna check out that chicane again.

cheers
Quote from TonyP23 :Can any of you look at my laps and give me a clue how to get faster as i feel stuck in a rut.
My best lap at aston club in the Fox is 1:02 something but usually i get 1:03:50 ish or worse.
The car feels very slow after playing Rfactor in the RF1.
It's very frustrating.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Cheers

http://gentlefoot.com/LFS/footwork.html

You may also find these trackguides useful even if you aren't running those tracks and cars:

http://gentlefoot.com/LFS/trackguides.html
your brakes seem to be to much to the front, try setting them a little more to the rear, nice laptime though! also...make your driving a little smoother, seemed to be like you were driving using a keyboard
my tip is race the layout in a slower car. in the uf1 you will be more aware of the slight camber and gradient changes around the circuit and believe it or not it's not much easier to get through the chicane without lifting. even one 10 lap race in uf1 should help you get lower times in a faster car.

along with racing the layout backwards to get a clearer picture of a corner's character, I find getting out of the car with SHIFT-U mode and looking at problem corners from different viewpoints (especially with a good replay going) will show you some truths about gradient effects that are hard to notice in-car.

this particular chicane is flat until just past the turn-in after which it is uphill (if memory serves) which means turn-in needs to happen very suddenly at the base of the hill so you can be on power up the hill.

Help with lmproving laptimes
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG