The online racing simulator
#1 - ajp71
Remove the speedo on racing cars
I'd like to see an option to remove the speedo on all the single seaters. I find that it gets really distracting and far more destructive to my driving style, it's like an information overload which is why I race in shift + F and try to worry about driving the car and racing other people. I know a lot of people will like it so that's why I'd only like to see it removed as an option.

I should add it's common to choose not to display a speed read out for exactly this reason IRL, out of the two single seaters I help run one has a nice conventional racing tach the other does have a digital read out but it's consiously been set to not display a speed read out despite the fact that it does have wheel speed sensors for the data logging.
+1 Racing cars don't need speedos
#3 - TiJay
+1, if I know how fas I'm going it scares me into slowing down.
+1, racing cars don't need speedos. I mean, they rarely swim - in my installation at least.

:nut:
Yeah, I'd love to see optional speedos for the open-wheelers & GTRs too :up:
+1

Maybe custom dashes?

Ability to move all of the objects around? Removing them totally as an option to!
+1 here as well

Would be nice if we could put custom stuff on the lcd with insim (with multiple pages support).
+1

Also every information showing up on the screen. Unrealistic.
Quote from Crazy Harry :+1

shift+h .

Btw. being able to talk via a keyboard in a car is also unrealistic :P. Not to mention racing around a track, in your bedroom :P
+1. If I got it right. You want those virtual speedos removed right? In that case, i'm in favour.
#11 - th84
Quote from Crazy Harry :+1

Kind of like a miror in chase view, or chase view period?

I could do w/o the virtual speedo also. +1
well, only as optional extra - yes, +1 from me...
for example I know a few racers (in real life) and their ideas of a perfect layout is VERY Different...
one would like a widescreen plasma with all the info he can possibly get, the other states that a red lightbulb for knowing the shiftpoint is good enough (it should come on if over revving and low rpms in his opinion) Tastes differ...
#13 - Gunn
+1 for open wheelers and GTRs.
Quote from Krammeh :+1

Maybe custom dashes?

Ability to move all of the objects around? Removing them totally as an option to!

Nice idea there.
+1

Custom dashes is the way. A cross between netKar pros AIM and the dash in GTR would be good. Enabling you to switch between RMP/Laptimes/Tire temps etc.
That way we can finally race with no info on the screen, and still see all the data we need to on the dash.
+1 for customisable displays - but they do have them in many single seaters in RL so there is no realism argument.
+1
+1
Quote from duke_toaster :+1 for customisable displays - but they do have them in many single seaters in RL so there is no realism argument.

Well a digital speedo is possible without doing anything if you have a digital dash driven by a data logging system which has either individual wheel or transmission speed sensors, the majority of new single seaters fall into this category, however a large number of them are deliberately set to not show the speed specifically because it is about as helpful in the cockpit of a racing car as a houseplant so there is a realism arguement to implementing it as an option.
Quote from ajp71 :it is about as helpful in the cockpit of a racing car as a houseplant...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

+1; again as an option, though.
+0 because this has been mantioned before and because we all know cockpit changes are coming soon(tm). And I believe that with the cockpit changes we will see different gauges than now

On top of that I think that many modern GTR/formular cars do have speedos.
Quote from GeForz :
On top of that I think that many modern GTR/formular cars do have speedos.

I think we've already seen the new single seater cockpits, or at least are likely to just be a graphically improved version of the same thing.
Like I said it is possible to display a speed read out but it is common to choose not to display it for the simple reason that it's too tempting to look at it and it serves no real purpose. So having it as an option is realistic.
+1
With a few digits to tell each gear's top speed, displayed next to each ratio or something, yeah.
+1 with an automatic mark on the tach for pit speed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG