The online racing simulator
Drive-thru penalty
(23 posts, started )
Drive-thru penalty in easy way
Sorry if mentioned before, but:

If you get a drive-tru penalty, you can complete it on both end of the pitlane. So you do not need to drive along the pit, to reach the other end, you can cross twice the entrance, and you're done.

The danger: if you plan a pitstop during the race, and you jumped the start, you can do the drive-tru, and the planned pitstop in one lap. You cross the entrance, set the gears reverse, cross the entrance backwards (your penalty completed), and you can change your tires now.

If this is a bug, we need a patch.

If it's a feature, I don't get it.

Works multiplayer/single player.

Thanks
#2 - wark
Right. I've also noticed that on some tracks it may be faster to go into the pits, take the first box, and go back out the pits the way you came in, in order to avoid a speed limit.
In my post I'm not talking about avoiding the speed limit. Read again.

It is possible to complete the penalty just by crossing the pit entrance twice.
#4 - wark
Right. And I said "right," corroborating your bug report. I also said "also," proceeding to explain another way going backwards in the pit lane can be used to cheat.
Most hosts kick for wrong way drivers, so its not faster since you gotta keep stopping to avoid being kicked.
Quote from VTiRoj :Most hosts kick for wrong way drivers, so its not faster since you gotta keep stopping to avoid being kicked.

You're not going to be going the wrong way long enough to be kicked. Besides, I'm not sure that happens when driving in reverse (the wrong way kick).
You wont be kicked, you can do it in 2-3 meters. Just when LFS sends a message "x entered pitlane for completing the drive-tru", you set it in reverse, cross the line again, and you get a message: "x completed the penalty".

The point of this maneuver is when you collected a drive-tru, and you have a planned pitstop. Both of them canbe completed in one lap.
Quote from uttoro :You wont be kicked, you can do it in 2-3 meters. Just when LFS sends a message "x entered pitlane for completing the drive-tru", you set it in reverse, cross the line again, and you get a message: "x completed the penalty".

The point of this maneuver is when you collected a drive-tru, and you have a planned pitstop. Both of them canbe completed in one lap.

Yes, confirmed.
I've never seen someone do this. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it doesn't seem very fast to cross the line, stop, reverse, stop, then go forward again. It's almost like doing a 3-point turn during a race, and I doubt anybody does this on S2 servers. Maybe on demo...
The point is that you basically can do the DT and the pitstop in the same lap which shouldnt be possible (as uttoro already said).

If the entry and exit of the pits are long enough it can save time IMO.
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :I've never seen someone do this. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it doesn't seem very fast to cross the line, stop, reverse, stop, then go forward again. It's almost like doing a 3-point turn during a race, and I doubt anybody does this on S2 servers. Maybe on demo...

On kyoto its faster to do the reverse maneuver, than drive along the pit.
I don´t think there is a track where it isn´t faster to use this bug
What about AS1 or AS1R?
Never. Think about it: If you drive over the line, drive backwards and again in. You loose maybe 3-5 seconds (thats a very high calculation) and then you make your pit stop.
If you do it with two steps you loose on as1 maybe nearly the same time in the pit lane (also more I think) but you have to add braking before and the slower speed after the pit lane. You win much time on every track
I hope we don't see a lot of this exploit now that you've shared it with the masses.
-
(Jakg) DELETED by Jakg
Quote from Jakg :
This thread does need removing though....

Nah this problem need to be sorted out by Scawen.

But if someone is doing it. It is clearly cheating. and unsportsmanlike. On our Teamservers we would ban everyone who is cought acting like this.

But I think it is only relevant in league races and the replays there will usually be watched. So it's not really a big problem imo.
Quote from BBO@BSR : So it's not really a big problem imo.

It wasn't a big problem! It remains to be seen if the dickhead element on public servers start to try it on.
Come down guys :-D where is the problem. Think about some points

1. You have to drive a race with pit stops wich isn´t so often on public servers
2. On a closed or league race you can´t use that bug
3. If you start earlier and then use that bug you win NO time or nearly no time.
4. Good drivers won´t use such a stupid bug

Thats really no bug to worry much about. But it should indeed be fixed before patch Y.
With 3-5 more found.
The bug still exists.

On Kyoto National, it's still faster to shift in reverse after entering pits to do the drive-thru penalty instead of driving along the 1 mile long pitlane.
Quote from uttoro :The bug still exists.

On Kyoto National, it's still faster to shift in reverse after entering pits to do the drive-thru penalty instead of driving along the 1 mile long pitlane.

Bumping after one year again.
I was just going to report this bug, but I did my homework first and used "the unfindable feature called search".

This bug needs sorting out, imo. And if it can be added to any insim for less than 20minutes, then it shouldn't be too hard to do originally too, imo.
Quote from broken :"the unfindable feature called search"

Yes.

Anyway, something else that has something with this to do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhgl4bu2YV0 When you enter the pitlane you can exit in any direction. (look at my video) you can see i reset behind the pit stalls and i appear on the start/finish and i can reach the first corner much faster than another driver (as shown in the video).
Well a another bug (maybe) with DT is...

If you are in pits to do your pitstop and get then a DT by Admins, the DT will be deleted by driving out of the pits after the pitstop.

We had this on a GTAL Race...
Quote from Mojo1987 :Well a another bug (maybe) with DT is...

If you are in pits to do your pitstop and get then a DT by Admins, the DT will be deleted by driving out of the pits after the pitstop.

We had this on a GTAL Race...

there's a few pit/penalty bugs... getting a double DT whilst in the pit box causes LFS to not release you from pitting.

found that one out testing a lapper script. i ended up having to code it so that the penalty gets applied after the first split.

Drive-thru penalty
(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG