The online racing simulator
Aero forces in garage
(19 posts, started )
Aero forces in garage
At the moment we can see there aero data table and use the car speed slider. But we can only see the aero forces (blue arrows) when we use force view when driving.

Would it be possible to make them appear while in the garage, as if the car was really moving at the speed set by the slider?

It would also be nicer to see the suspension hunker down, view camber change, etc.
hehe, now you got me started too...i know there's a lot of dyno requests,
but what about, where you can already 'drop' the car, you have a speed
slider for a 'rolling road' (not a 'dyno') which could have small, medium and big
bumps, perhaps a set of soft and sharp 'moguls', at the same time,
aerodymanic forces AND simulated real world camber changes could help
setting up for specific types of road.

It's getting more complicated now that you have to remember which is the
real camber and which isn't, as long as we have no way of accurately use
these settings, i settle for less than perfect setups. Usually, i'll ask setups
until i find one i like, then tune it to my personal preference. Usually that ends
up destroying the initial setup so i go back to not knowing why my instincts
push me to a less than perfect setup a use a perfect stranger's setup which
obviously has a much better idea of what I want...anyone get that ? lol

Saturation has made me clip and once in safe-mode i can't make any sense
of all the relations between values. :something
I SOOOOOO want a wind tunnel now.

you could turn the speed from 0 up to 300 or so and see the downforce values and hopefully the air disturbance coming off the car.

it would be cool to have a little stream of white smoke that you could moe around the front of the car to watch the flow.

hell, i'd probably even buy a wind tunnel program where you could design different bodies as a stand alone game!

speedfreak227
AND!

A way to mold our own custom diffusers.
Way back in ye olden DOS days, there was a game called Car Builder that you could (duh) build cars in, including designing a body (2D only though, AFAIK no downforce really modeled). You couldn't drive the cars, and construction was just choosing from a variety of predetermined parts, but it had some sort of algorithmic test track that told you what the handling and performance was like, as well as calculated specs. It's fun and pretty accurate in some ways--fat tires gave you more grip, but they also increased drag.

Back on topic, I would love to see this. Dropping the car just doesn't convey nearly enough information--plus it's over so fast, you hardly have time to see what's going on. If I want to check camber change under load, It's not too hard to get a few fat friends to sit on the bumper, so constant loads seem a reasonable request.
Quote from 5th Earth :Way back in ye olden DOS days, there was a game called Car Builder that you could (duh) build cars in, including designing a body (2D only though, AFAIK no downforce really modeled). You couldn't drive the cars, and construction was just choosing from a variety of predetermined parts, but it had some sort of algorithmic test track that told you what the handling and performance was like, as well as calculated specs. It's fun and pretty accurate in some ways--fat tires gave you more grip, but they also increased drag.

Back on topic, I would love to see this. Dropping the car just doesn't convey nearly enough information--plus it's over so fast, you hardly have time to see what's going on. If I want to check camber change under load, It's not too hard to get a few fat friends to sit on the bumper, so constant loads seem a reasonable request.

You can get car builder here for free, legally: http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=2075

There is even a "Modern version on it to be found, but it cost's quite a lot: http://www.stickybear.com/science-skills/cbd.htm

And concerning the load. You can add 100% fuel and 3 passangers for increased load, but still, it does not give the proper results under load... a feature for it would be nice.
I like that idea Bob, so we could see the car at top speed under load. but it's the bumps through the corners that we really need to worry about. bumps in a straight line dont really effect the car.
Quote from speedfreak227 :hell, i'd probably even buy a wind tunnel program where you could design different bodies as a stand alone game!

You can always have fun with xfoil, javafoil and the rest such aerosim projects. They mostly deal with wing aerodynamics, but still fun to tinker with since you can make custom shapes, etc

Ground effect anyone?
After all it is not hard to put it there imho, but is there actually a need for it? Do the people who really setup their cars in scientific detail use the suspension view at all? I mean aren't there some replay data analyzers for that?
;-)

OT: (how do you get that wink-smilie, can't find it in the smilies list and :wink: and :wink and :Wink...don't work...?)
Quote from Hyperactive :After all it is not hard to put it there imho, but is there actually a need for it? Do the people who really setup their cars in scientific detail use the suspension view at all? I mean aren't there some replay data analyzers for that?

Yes, but you can't visualise things like that, plus it would also show off more of the physics and look cool. Also using replay analysers is a lot more hassle, and requires you to drive lots.

Quote from Hyperactive :OT: (how do you get that wink-smilie, can't find it in the smilies list and :wink: and :wink and :Wink...don't work...?)

; ) (without the space)
Quote from Bob Smith :Yes, but you can't visualise things like that, plus it would also show off more of the physics and look cool. Also using replay analysers is a lot more hassle, and requires you to drive lots.

How do they figure out these things in real life? (now we are talking...). And totally agree with those replay analyzers, never really got into tem... (oooh)
Quote from Hyperactive :How do they figure out these things in real life?

Well, they click on "drop" alot... :P
I'd think there is alot of reference material given to mechanics from the makers, etc apart from the data gathered by test-driving.
How do they measure aero lift IRL, is that your question? I don't know for definite, but I'd imagine sticking a big fan in front of a car with each wheel on an electronic scale, and slowly speeding the fan up, would generate lots of data.
Or blow the scales away!

Yeah, they have them on multipost rigs, so that several different resulting forces can be measured, in various different places.
great idea ... i love it

and while were at it id also like to have the aero menu on the non downforce cars to see how much lift the generate at certain speeds and how that affects suspension geometry
As far as I'm aware none of the car bodies generate lift. They should do, hopefully that is something that will be present in S2 final. It's not like it requires any new physics, just the changing of a value from 0 to something positive (assuming there is code looking for body lift in place).
or rather just adding a sign Bit to the the downforce physics so the vectors point the opposite direction ...
Quote from ColeusRattus :You can get car builder here for free, legally: http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=2075

There is even a "Modern version on it to be found, but it cost's quite a lot: http://www.stickybear.com/science-skills/cbd.htm

And concerning the load. You can add 100% fuel and 3 passangers for increased load, but still, it does not give the proper results under load... a feature for it would be nice.

Actually, I'm pretty sure I've still got my original 5.25" disk. Interesting to see the new one though--the test track is still the same shape as the original.
Quote from Bob Smith :As far as I'm aware none of the car bodies generate lift. They should do

it just dawned on me that lift might just be the perfect way to balance the tbo class without changing any power or weight values ... so in other words without having to change the cars character.

Aero forces in garage
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG