The online racing simulator
Flags "display"
(30 posts, started )
Flags "display"
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, did check the improvment suggestion thread, didn't see owt............

So, one thing that REALLY bugs me is the way blue and yellow flags are displayed on the screen, I hate the "BLUE FLAG" and "YELLOW FLAG" text messages, there must be a better, more realistic way of displaying blue and yellow flags to the drivers........
I'd agree with that. A small graphic of a flag on screen, off to one side would be nice.

Ideally, the tracks should have marshal points around them which would display flags as appropriate, and have nothing overlaid on the driver's view at all.
Yes, it would be more realistic, but racers on the servers can't see....

Blue Flag

Yellow: Caution

... in the middle of their screen, what makes you think they will notice little flags waving over on the side or on the side of the track?

Realism vs. compromise due to limitations of a computer... Which is better? The realism that you and I want or the compromise to keep the game moving along.
Of course they can see it, weather they choose to act on it or not is not my point, and would still be an issue not matter what you display.

My point is, it could be made a bit more immersive.
It'd be a nice feature, I kinda hope that proper animated marshalls comes with pit crew in S3... Who knows, maybe and maybe not. Certainly I think the option for text display would remain for lower specced machines.
#6 - ajp71
Personally I think the rF style little coloured boxes in the corner is a much better way of doing flags, I have no trouble seeing them and as mentioned above the current issue is people choosing not to obey them, not seeing them.
I'd go with little boxes, or the animated guys. I hear Eric's a talented animator, so I'm sure he'd be able to whip something up which really looked the part.
Something like this, I personally think it not only looks a lot better, cleaner and immersive, but I think its easier to see the yellow flag
Attached images
current.jpg
new.jpg
There was a game I played a looong looong time ago that did something similar, I want to say it was F1 Grand Prix back from the mid to late 90s.

Instead of that flag you have shown dan, I'd like to see a waving flag to get your attention more than just some little thing that pops up. The days of the internet have done much to my mind as far as not noticing small things popping up.

Something like this would be nice.

P.S. I find it funny that when you search for waving flags, only American flags come up for the first few pages haha.
Animated would be fine too

TBH, I think it's quite a small modification to make, but one that would make quite a difference to the immersiveness of racing, hopefully Scawen will notice this and look into it at some point.
Well the more I think about it though, I wonder if Scawen put those marshals around the track intentionally for a purpose we don't know about, but will be used at some point later on.

Maybe we will have flag marshals on the track.
They are in the right places really, which.. now that I think about it more, they are exactly where marshals are supposed to be on real race tracks.

..maybe Scawen has something up his sleeve..
That´s really nice donowat...

but, there are some racers really in the race that dont notice those flags, is worst make a marshall moving a flag by the track, If I would be racing a good race I couldn´t see the marshall.
Quote from Jonas8431 :but, there are some racers really in the race that dont notice those flags, is worst make a marshall moving a flag by the track, If I would be racing a good race I couldn´t see the marshall.

I still mantain that people DO see the flags, but people just don't choose to act on them.
Quote :I still mantain that people DO see the flags, but people just don't choose to act on them.

Actually I struggle to spot the yellow flag message, i've no idea why. I always [frequently!] see blue flag messages, but I dont often see yellow flags. I think mostly because LFS is surprisingly leenient with them.

EDIT: Truth be told, I got a black flag in real racing once for overtaking on a yellow *shhhhh* .
#17 - Dru
Quote from Becky Rose :Actually I struggle to spot the yellow flag message, i've no idea why. I always [frequently!] see blue flag messages, but I dont often see yellow flags. I think mostly because LFS is surprisingly leenient with them.

EDIT: Truth be told, I got a black flag in real racing once for overtaking on a yellow *shhhhh* .

lol did someone save the replay and report you
Quote :lol did someone save the replay and report you

Well in fairness he passed me first, I just retook the position and we both ended up DSQ - but I still made the final starting 4th by winning all my other heats bar the one I started last (came 2nd). Only to fall over getting in my kart and hurting myself and being unable to take the grid in time. Some days you just cant win...
I personally like the GPL/GTR2 system the best. Actual marshals, standing where they should be, waving the flags as appropriate. The only difference between the two is that GPL uses 2D sprites and GTR uses 3D polygonal models. I think this is by far the best, most realistic solution. If they could do it in 1998, surely it can be done now.
This is the single area where netkar pro is much better than LFS, flag display. It's got pretty little waving flags from invisible marshals off course.
Quote from sweetreid :This is the single area where netkar pro is much better than LFS, flag display. It's got pretty little waving flags from invisible marshals off course.

I wouldn't say invisible marshals is much of an improvement. If that's the case, then a nearly 10 year old sim is far and away better than both LFS and nKPoo.
Oh I forgot to mention, KY Oval and Nat are already set up for course yellows, they have the light system.
Quote from danowat :Not really the same though is it?

Yeah my post was about this exact same topic, although a little off topic in the thread it was posted in.

Flags "display"
(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG