The online racing simulator
#1 - ajp71
Need help spliting an internet connection evenly over a wireless network
I am finding that the computer that is pluged straight into my router seems to take priority over my racing computer (which is connected wirelessly). Is there a way to cap the internet speed going to the one computer (either at the router or software on the PC).

I have a Netgear wireless router and 2mb ASDL, both PCs are Windows XP and not currently networked together.

This might seem very obvious but I have no idea where to start searching.
I want to do something similar, but also have no idea what to do, or how to do it.

Basically I'm sharing my house at uni with 5 other guys. They all want to download music (mainly) and what have you. This is not a problem, except when I want to race. I get VERY laggy. We are all plugged into the router (via switches in some cases, but I doubt that's a problem).

Can I throttle back certain IP's, so that they don't hog ALL the bandwidth? I don't want to stop them accessing the net, as they help pay for it, and therefore have a right to it. But there usage (solely getting music illegally as far as I can tell) interferes massively with my legal enjoyment of online gaming.

Also, my router log (it's a DG834G if you want/need to know, that doesn't support throttling itself I don't think), shows lots of entries, each ending with [DoS]. I know what a denial of service attack means, but is it possible to stop them? The crazy thing is, they seem to go away when one of the computers on our network is off (Tom's PC). And the To: part of the DoS log is sometimes to 1.0.0.0, rather than my normal IP? Is it actually possible to block an IP totally, so I can find out whose computer causes problems quickly?

I'm totally confused, and would appreciate some advice or explanations. Ta.
ok, ive had this problem as i also connect from a lan, i share a house with univ. people, so we split a 2mb line. i found a little app called netlimiter
just install it in every pc and limit the bandwith each one can have, you can also set limits for each running program so you dont have to cap the overall speed. hope this helps.
#4 - ajp71
Thank you very much
If you want to do it properly (like a pro) you need a Linux box (other unixes/clones will probably work too). Then set the Linux box to share the connection to all the other computers and set so that if both computers need bandwidth it will be evenly spread and when only one computer is using teh Inter web, it gets all the bandwidth.
Just don't ask me how to do this because I don't know how, I only know it can be done
You can use netlimiter as said above of invest in a router with decent QoS, which basically will split the connection and manage it for you IIRC.
I use a Linksys WRT54G, and once I'd flashed it to the latest firmware, it offers QoS services. What would be useful for your arrangement is that you can prioritise bandwidth based on which physical port you're connected to on the router. So you could give yourself high priority, which means you'd grab loads of bandwidth when you demand it, and leave everyone else on low priority for their music downloading. Although it's not so sophisticated for wireless connections, you can still identify two devices by their mac address and give them high priority.

But I'm not aware of Netgear routers offering this feature. Tristan definitely shouldn't get a WRT54G to replace his DG834G though, as the Linksys is cable-only and won't work with the protocols used over ADSL (aside from the fact that the Netgear contains an ADSL modem but the Linksys doesn't contain any modem). Or so I've been told.
I know this is an absolutely HUGE bump, but how did everyone who used this Netlimiter software find it? Did it work? Did you notice a difference?

I'm having the same problem - my Dad is always downloading TV and whatnot, pretty much every evening. Now I just have to persuade him to install this...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG