The online racing simulator
T1 help (server side option)
(19 posts, started )
#1 - JTbo
It would be done by limiting throttle to 50% for 1-3 first corners, option to choose off,1,2,3 within server settings.

Could make bit same as rolling start, also will greatly help T1 mayhem.

Is this stupid idea?
Am I stupid? (that will be yes, so no need to answer this)

Just can't think any bad things from this, should be also rather easy to implement into LFS.

Sure masters of LFS would not like it, specially if not much of patience, but I would race on server that has this kind setting turned on.
Education, education, education. (that's amusing if you're English)
Seriously, disable restarts for the first 180 seconds. The more rash drivers soon get the idea that it doesn't pay to be too lead footed in the first turns.
Then again, this has been raked over sooo many times and nothing changes.
Most servers I play on restarting is disabled for one minute after race start
Isn't that default now? Or is it a serverside setting somewhere?
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Nobody is ever going to learn if you don't.
I would not like to see this added to the game and would not play on any server that enforces it. T1 accidents are only a problem when people are overzealous. As Doorman said, if you turn off restarts for the first few minutes of a race, T1 wrecks happen a lot less often.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
This won't probably help. Why T1 crashes happen is about a lot of different things.
a) On public server the races are short, you can actually gain a lot from being 1st after T1
b) You can't really see on the sides really well
c) Some people think it is funny to drive straight through T1 without braking
d) People are self-centered, they think that they own the road and it's other peoples job to stay away from them
f) People don't know which way the track turns

Speed is not a main factor in any of these. Infact I think that if the throttle would be limited at begginning of races, it would cause more crashes. Since everyone would be doing 100% what the car could. So there would be even more cars at T1 at the same time. And lots of cars at same corner at once = crashes (atleast a big possibilty of that)
Quote from geeman1 :
a) On public server the races are short, you can actually gain a lot from being 1st after T1

certainly RIGHT!

Quote from geeman1 :
d) People are self-centered, they think that they own the road and it's other peoples job to stay away from them

§16 - General race
§16A - The front car has always right to chose it's line trough a corner. If "T-Boned" by another driver, that driver will be punished (real FIA regulation).
§16B - The inside car (if alongside) has the right to chose line when exiting corner. Even if this means "pushing" another car of track (real FIA regulation). This rules is badly written in FIA's rules, and by no means endorse physical contact.
(so if your the leader trough T1, YOU OWN THAT ROAD)

Quote from geeman1 :
b) You can't really see on the sides really well

Partially incorrect, you could increase your field of view to sth around 100-130° (the human FOV) to see the sides better.
Downside is, you can't see your far front very well, as it's fourther away (or just smaller rendered).
So i'd state that "b)" relates directly to your mentioned "d)" cause if you can't see the leader on one of your side due to static view, then you can't completely held for "T-Boning".
Quote from geeman1 :b) You can't really see on the sides really well

try a head turn ?
you can see very well all round by using the "look" buttons essential for knowing where everyone is, same IRL too .

SD.
#9 - Vain
- In RL you can see someone beide you without looking there.
- In LFS you don't know where you're going when you turn your head.
- Use the PitSpotter. Use the PitSpotter. Use the PitSpotter. Use the PitSpotter. Use the PitSpotter. Use the PitSpotter. Use the PitSpotter. Use the PitSpotter. Use the PitSpotter. Use the PitSpotter. Use the PitSpotter. Use the PitSpotter. Use the PitSpotter. Use the PitSpotter. Use the PitSpotter. Use the PitSpotter. Use the PitSpotter. Use the PitSpotter. Use the PitSpotter. Use the PitSpotter.
'Nuff said.

Vain
IMO the pitspotter seems an idea for lazy people ok in nascar type oval racing its more realistic, however if you can drive without a co-pilot then I think looking is essential . Even IRL you cannot allways see if someone is next to you without moving your head (remember the "lifesaver" taught to motorcyclists everywhere its about double checking your mirrors with a real look) and as for not knowing where you are going when looking I find instant look helps so one can glance left right whatever without much trouble.

SD.
I agree with geeman half throttle just means more will not use brakes at all

As for being able to see people, use whatever works for you. Just make sure you know whats going on around you I have always used the look function, but always used to find I would give too much room to others in corners (mainly because I'm always concerned about lag hits)... so now I use pitspotter and the look functions. The look function is great on straights and setting up for corners but I find pitspotter great for close racing mid corner and that is where the real danger area is (I also use a 68deg fov) And as for the pitspotter not being realistic well in real life you just get so much more sensesory feedback that you need some aids in sim driving to make up for the lack of them some people get real good at turning there heads real quick, some go for large screens, projectors or three screen maxtrox pharelia setups to compensate and some use utilities like pitspotter... point is use what works for you
I've never used the pitspotter. But I've heard someone elses over Teamspeak, and it sounds really annoying.

I'm sure it's okay for your Nascar type drivers with one braincell in the entire racetrack, but I like to think of myslef as able to look at other cars and judge not only where they are, but where they will be.

Oh, and I've seen plenty of people who use the spotter cause crashes, simply because they'd switched off the part of their brain that says THINK and rely entirely on the fallible spotter program.
Quote from tristancliffe :I've never used the pitspotter. But I've heard someone elses over Teamspeak, and it sounds really annoying.

I'm sure it's okay for your Nascar type drivers with one braincell in the entire racetrack, but I like to think of myslef as able to look at other cars and judge not only where they are, but where they will be.

Oh, and I've seen plenty of people who use the spotter cause crashes, simply because they'd switched off the part of their brain that says THINK and rely entirely on the fallible spotter program.

And your obviously really SMART as you KNOW that all people that use pitspotter are nascar fans and turn off half their brains relying totally on pitspoter No need to be so inflexible on some things you know try walk a mile in others shoes every now and again... not everyone has the same PC, controller, or even physical or mental abilities as you
It's ok Tristian because we are unlikely to meet on the track as I'm well aware of my capabilities and restrict myself mostly to the road cars, leave the GTR's and SS to you BETTER people that can use all their brains
BTW that is one of the features that makes LFS so appealing, that it can catter for all levels of skill and ability, not everyone will be, or for that matter wants to be Michel Shumaker in the sim world, some just enjoy racing at the sim world equivelent of club racing
Sorry to be so sarcastic with you Tristian you just pushed the right buttons LOL
my opinion if anyone is interessted is that mostly i get "shot" because i think that when i'm in front for a corner and some faster (mean that) hotshot hasn't the patience to wait for a safe opportunity to pass by (as lapper or not, no difference) and kicks me like a surgeons trick, just sets me up...

or a newbie, me included on certain tracks, shoot another one by accident, while greedy for slipstreaming, is really hard to transport that this wasn't intentional to your opponent in the heat of the moment or whilst open road.

Sometimes it's pure ignorance against the others, then i think they'll adapt and respect my move of overtaking till their turn comes up.
Or i expect racers to be economic liners but boom get boned from right side, while maintaining the middle of the oval round.

in these moments i think WTF?, cause most racers drive the slight-same-line anyway, so why did he forget that i'm still next to him?
#15 - Vain
I never played the oval in my 6-month-LFS-careeer and I don't like Nascar. Yet the PitSpotter is an invaluable tool. Usually I see other drivers drive beside me before the PitSpotter tells me so, but sometimes there is the kind of situation where you would never have believed another driver to try to overtake you in that moment - here PitSpotter helps by giving you the unfocused side-view you have in RL but not LFS. That saves a lot of races and keeps the quality of the levels much higher.
Of course, the side-view-keys are also invaluable. But they don't compete with PitSpotter.
It's not side-view OR PitSpotter, it's side-view AND PitSpotter.

Vain
#16 - Jakg
i may have to try pit spotter...
I don't use pitspotter as in using because I'm "lazy" as someone mentioned here. I use it to replace the peripheral vision that I don't have on the PC. I love the pitspotter mod and find it very accurate. But I don't use it to eliminate the look left/right function. If anything, I end up looking left/right even more, but I don't need it to know someone is there. I use it to see how close they are. Meaning, I don't have to process as much information by looking because I already know someone is beside me from the pitspotter. It makes my clicking to look to the side and back to front quicker since I don't have to think, ok, theres someone there, he's faster/slower and going to pass/not make it, he's leaving me room, etc. Just that split second of not needing to look to see if someone is there helps. And I find that as soon as the pitspotter says "clear" you are clear and can move in line. It doesn't however tell you if you pick up any more speed once you are clear and actually gain as you fall in behind the car in front that cleared. But I have pulled in line in front/behind another car as soon as I heard "clear" and find that I'm inches away from the other car. So you have to be sure neither you or the other car has changed speed once the pass is made.
I can't stand the pit spotter, never tried the LFS addon but I race with N2003 with it turned off, doesn't decrease my awarness of anything, sure I have to keep alert but it's really not that essential.
well then how about using longer names filled with "spaces" and a "*" at both sides since the names are usually shown earlier as the car model?
as an aditional hint next to honk and engine sound of other cars...

(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG