The online racing simulator
Plz help!! Big performance problem
(48 posts, started )
I have a big performance problem with LFS on my PC. I've posted it in thread "How do i get more fps" (http://lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=1372) but I didn't get sufficient answer there. So I started a new thread, hope that it'll help me and anyone who has the same problem.

I'm running following configuration:
--------------------------------------
Pentium4@3200MHz prescott core LGA-775
GeForce 6600GT 128MB PCI-E
512MB DDR2@533MHz 3-3-3-10 timing
ASUS P5GDC Pro mobo(1007 BIOS rev.)
Seagate Barracudda 7200.7 NCQ 120GB in AHCI mode with proper drivers installed
WinXP SP2 + some updates
LFS S2P3 version(locked)

My problem is simple. My framerate is 2-3 times lower than it sholud be(as I saw results on benchmark site). My average FPS in benchmark is 33, should be around 70-80. I tried following to solve problem.
1] Antivirus and anti-spyware test - NO PROB
2] BIOS setup check - ALL OK
3] All drivers update - I have these
- NVidia 84.26 (tried many versions - no change)
- i915 chipset - recent
- Intel Matrix Storage(controls AHCI) 4.7
- C-Media audio - last available
4] Done clean boot following advice from forum. LFS ran little faster(about 10FPS), probably only due to more available system resources.
5] In despair I uninstalled DirextX 9c and returned to DX8.1 (done by DirectX9 uninstaller). Still no change. Then I intsalled gradually DX9a and DX9b. After each installation I made benchmark - got still same restults.

Now it's going to be interesting
When I disable HVS in LFS , my framerate drops on approx. 15FPS(what a surprise) But when I enable 8xAA and 16xAF my perfomance is same or it GROW a little!(about 4 FPS). I also ran a bench on MIN settings and I got poor results too(on MIN I got what I should have on MAX). I found only two strange things on my system(see images). //Není instalováno - Not installed; Soubor d3dim700.dll je starší verze, která může způsobit problémy - File d3dim700.dll is an older version that can cause problems//. The first error(Not Installed Direct3D) appeared before I started doing some actions to repair system(on another computer with DX9 it's ok, DX5 installer says Direct3D - Ověřeno//verified//), the next one(d3dim700) appeared after my DirectX experiments. All tests in dxdiag are OK and in 3DMark03 I have over 8500 pts. The only clue I can give you is behavior of GTA:SA, which suddenly started to be VEEERY slow too. I remember that S1 and S2 were OK before I reformatted my HD. On new windows installation I didn't tested S1 because I don't have it. Ant ohter games and applications seems to be OK.

Thank You for every experience, help or tip.... If you cannot help me, I'll have to ask god

<sorry for some bad english expressions and lenght of this post....
Attached images
dx5_err.jpg
dxdiag_err.jpg
#2 - jmkz
I think you screwed up your DirectX install; go to start -> run -> dxdiag

in the display tab disable ALL DirectX features; than fetch the latest DX9b install from the web, install that one. reboot. recheck the settings in DXDIAG. and enable all if possible
Certainly looks like DirectX causing the problems. Try updatign it, or reinstallign it.
Quote from MadCatX :.... the next one(d3dim700) appeared after my DirectX experiments....

What kind of expirements?
#5 - jmkz
removing DirectX9 for example "officially" you can't, but there are "hacks" for it
Yup, my DX IS damaged, but before it uninstallation it seemed to be ok, no errors in dxdiag, but framerate was still poor. d3dim700.dll error apperared when I upgraded from Dx9a to Dx9b. When I was running dx9c, it was ok.

But I say again, reinstallation of DX didn't caused the performance problem, it was there before I started to do anything to correct it.
I'm afraid that only way how to get rid of this performance leak is to format my harddrive again... or does anyone know else way how to do it?
THX for your tips...
Set "Simple Track (no car shadow)" to "off"

If it turns out not to be a DX issue...
How hot is your processor getting?
I have the exact same one and before I upgraded my heatsink/fan it was running very hot.

Im not sure, but do Intels 'slow down' when they get too hot?
Could be something worth looking into?

grab motherboard monitor and see what your cpu temp is at idle and under load.
Intel P4 CPUs drastically decrease performance when hitting a certain temperature. But, no doubt, you would obviously notice what is happening when this occurs as the drop in FPS is close to a total system halt. If temperatures continue to raise at that point, the CPU will shut the whole system off (which is dangerous too, as the cooling fan stops to work while the CPU is still very hot).
Quote from huxorator :Intel P4 CPUs drastically decrease performance when hitting a certain temperature. But, no doubt, you would obviously notice what is happening when this occurs as the drop in FPS is close to a total system halt. If temperatures continue to raise at that point, the CPU will shut the whole system off (which is dangerous too, as the cooling fan stops to work while the CPU is still very hot).

Maybe you are right. My CPU temp is over 80 degrees when playing LFS. Maybe some other applications arent too sensitive on CPU overheat. I will try to do something whith that. THX a lot
80 degrees... holy cow. Then there's no question why your fps suck. Either your cpu cooler is a tad undersized or maybe your case ventilation is somewhat bad. Fix both, preferably
#12 - jmkz
80°C is way to high, get it below <70°C
It's kinda ironic how you post a uber-detailed start analysis, mess with drivers of all kind, uninstall DirectX and generally show a good computer knowledge, but on the other hand think that 80° CPU temperature is ok.
Quote from AndroidXP :It's kinda ironic how you post a uber-detailed start analysis, mess with drivers of all kind, uninstall DirectX and generally show a good computer knowledge, but on the other hand think that 80° CPU temperature is ok.

I know that 80 deg is NOT ok, but other apps works fine on this temp, so I thought LFS so should work... Well, thanx to Intels stock coolers, they arent able to cool 468s
I am going to buy some Zalmann cooler and we will see...
#15 - jmkz
apps will continue to work "fine" but not "fast" as the P4 core will slow down the speed to prevent the CPU from overheating
Bah, intels just cant take the heat. My Athlon 64 goes up to 95 before it shuts down .
Which isn't too good either :melting:

Seriously, how crap is your cooler that lets the CPU go to 95° ?!
#18 - jmkz
Quote from colcob :Bah, intels just cant take the heat. My Athlon 64 goes up to 95 before it shuts down .

uhm, the Intel P4 is actually very good at "taking the heat", it will never do a thermal shutdown if your system is configured properly, you can remove the cooler and your system will keep running (very very slowly) but that's what Thermal Throttling is all about (http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/p4-throttling/)

:-)
Hehe, U say that P4 cannot go down by overheating? Today I almost fried it.... I must apply some new thermalpaste on CPU, because system stops after 1-2 minutes of run Hope it will help, I dont wanna replace CPU...
#20 - jmkz
this is the key phrase in my post

Quote from jmkz : if your system is configured properly,

this article is old, but the technology used has only improved over the years: http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20010917/index.html
OMG while playing LFS my CPU is on 32 C (pretty cold for an AMD ) lol
time to get a cooler
Quote from MadCatX :Hehe, U say that P4 cannot go down by overheating? Today I almost fried it.... I must apply some new thermalpaste on CPU, because system stops after 1-2 minutes of run Hope it will help, I dont wanna replace CPU...

make sure you dont use too much thermal paste, that could also be the problem...

you need the thinnest layer possible, but at the same time, covering the entire dye/chip.

As i said earlier, i have the same cpu...
the stock cooler is absolute rubbish!

i got an XP-120
it is HUGE and uses a 120mm cooling fan.

Lowered temps (idle and load) by 20degrees.
I have NEVER seen it above 55 degrees after fitting this heatsink/fan combo.

Good luck
Wow, I've installed Zalman CNPS-7700 AlCu heatsink + Arctic Silver 3 thermal paste and my temp lowered about 10-15 deg. At full load I got max 69 deg, before 80-83. But LFS is still SLOW. Most likely I have somehow damaged WinXP. I'll reinstall it when possible. Thanx for all your help, it helped me to detemineproblem.

BTW, with Zalman cooler I get +200 pts in 3dMark03.. 8816!!! Who has more with GF6600GT on 3.2 Pressy???
I have the same issues......My temps are fine though. I used to run LFS with my 9700pro at 80-90fps now with my X800XL my fps are 20-30fps. Everything on my PC is fine software wise and drivers. I have a program to gauge if my cpu throttles back or not and I get nothing. It goes strong

my specs:
P4 2.4b O/C @2.97Ghz
MSI 845E 533 mhz
80 gig Maxtor 7200 rpm
1024MB Corsair PC3200 Dual Channel DDR 400Mhz runing @ single channel
ATI X800XL 256DDR3 radeon

#25 - jmkz

(48 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG