The online racing simulator
setups : saving and changing
(18 posts, started )
Saving setups
Within the LFS garage, if I load up a setup in a race, tweak the setup, say change the tyre pressures and the gear ratios, go racing, then exit the game, are my setup changes automatically saved, or does it revert back to the original version?

I am assuming any changes are automatically saved, and I think this is not a good thing, as often the changes I make are not beneficial, only then i have forgotten / overwritten the original settings.

I would prefer a setup situation like GPL has, where you can load a setup, change bits and race / test them without having to save, but in the knowledge that the original file remains unaltered if the setups are not beneficial.
#2 - Chaos
every change is saved upon garage exit or clicking another setup...
and i think its a good idea what you suggested...
Yes thats how it works.

You should always copy a setup if you want to change it (but leave the origonal in tact).

Just select the set you want, and click new.
If im going to play around with my setup then i make a copy version of it, and just edit that one. If it helps me, i delete the old one (or save it if i feel like it)
That is what I fear, I have corrupted my good setups by tweaking them without saving first the original. Maybe this could be an improvement suggestion to adopt a more GPL-like saving approach to prevent this?
#6 - Renku
I never change the original setup, just make a new one based on that original. Never been a problem for me.
i think its easier to just create 'new' copy before you change, otherwise the new system will get complaints quick too "oh no, i have to click to save, then specify the new set name, and then i have to go do sum other stuff, and then finally save"
I much prefer the GPL way, you can change things and test them without having to save, in the knowledge that the original will remain intact while you fiddle with the springs and stuff, then when, and only when, you are happy, you can save as a new setup file, safe with the fact that the original remains safe.
I agree with Al here. The number of good setups I've ruined by fiddling is quite large. Would be much more intuitive to have to save them manually imo.
Ye you should have to save manually to overwrite it.
Thinking about it, I think I do like the GPL system better (never played). Sounds like we wont have killed so many sets that way.
Shame on you, get over to Lengends Central and download the updated demo of the finest race sim of them all!

GPL 2004 demo is a MUST for every budding LFS fan.
/me goes to download it, having only ever played original GPL (with DirectX patch) offline...
Hmm, i would like a manual save. This could be auto-adjusted.
Hell with it Al, everything in this game should be like GPL
Heh! At least I can drive more laps in LFS without spinning out and wrecking my car. Not too many more, though........
Personally, I think that each setup should save a complete history of itself, together with PB's at each stage of its development. Then you can always wind it back to a previous position.

This saves you having to have a million different setups, all with virtually identical names because of the ridiculously short character limit on setup filenames.
Quote from Vendetta :If im going to play around with my setup then i make a copy version of it, and just edit that one. If it helps me, i delete the old one (or save it if i feel like it)

That's what I do too, and I have no problems with it.

(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG