The online racing simulator
Which view do YOU race with
(70 posts, started )

Poll : Which view do You race with

In car
Viewing Front/All Wheels
Outer Car
Replay sort of view (You know what i mean)
Overhead
and....Which view do YOU race with?
I race with the Outer car view
You may Choose ONLY 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#2 - CSU1
In-car, because it's an online racing simulator, not an arcade simulator for simulated online racing.
#3 - Gunn
Similar poll/thread here.
I like outer car
Sorry about the other thread the same...i didn't realise
It is hard to see where you are going in-car...and as im 12 ive never driven a car before, so you guys might be used to it
In-car. It's the only view you get in a real car
#6 - Nobo
We already got some threads of this.
Even if there is still no Mirror for the chase view i still drive it, just get claustrophobia in cockpit
I know its unrealistic and i would like to change....but somehow not possible, like a smoker who cant give up smoking. Just a recommendation to all beginners, start in the cockpit
Quote from [ADT]sid :i like interi0or view and sometime the tyres view fror drift but if i want to twin i cant cus sometimes i dont see de car so SOmetimes use exterior view

YES EXTERIOR OWNS!
Interior of course...this is a sim

You mean thee are other views?
BTW, names for views in poll are confusing. By outer car view you mean follow view I guess? Overhead = heli? And what does "all wheels" mean?
Wasn't the thread like this already here some time ago, or is it just my tricky memory?

(I voted for In car view of course)
in car its the only way, u can get closer to ur corners as you have a far beter judgement
Racing = In Car
Messing around (clc) = Hood cam (or like the one on WRC from the roof)
In-car is the only way to race!
Idem than the others: Inside view. Not only because its the most realistic view but also because the inside view is realy well done.
I use butt view. Can't see the road but the views are still nice.
Always cockpit in single seaters, normally cockpit in road cars and GTRs but sometimes front wheels (see more, better FPS).
LOL.... I can't help myself on this subject...

I pretty much always use the wheels only view:
  1. 'cause the cockpits kill my frame rate and
  2. seeing the wheels compensates for not having a forcefeedback wheel, as well as for the many shortcomings of viewing the world as a limited, two-dimensional image that has zero (or near to zero...) gravitational effect on my body
I also hate the fact that the cockpits reduce the useable space on my screen to about a third, filling up the rest of the space with useless, decorative graphics. Yes, this is a simulation and what I want from the screen is feedback about the car and the environment that its in. Anything else isn't necessary.

At the LFS meet last weekend, I got to drive in front of a big screen (about six feet wide) for once and, tbh, I wasn't so bothered by the last point. Driving with the cockpit detail in place, I was just as fast (alright, no s******ing at the back, just as slow...) as I am with wheels view. So probably with a ffb wheel, I wouldn't be bothered about which view.

What does annoy me about this subject is the "anything else is not real" attitude. None of it is real....

It is all representation. Which is more real: Mont Sainte-Victoire painted by Cezanne; Mont Sainte-Victoire photographed by a tourist; or a topographical view of said mountain? Answer: none of them, but they all serve a purpose at different times.

Same for driving. In the real world I have a sense of the car that cannot be replicated by a camera. Never. What you see on screen is just information and to me, it doesn't really matter how that information is conveyed. I know that using a raised view, for instance, will give you a better view of the line through a corner, but lets be honest... Its no greater advantage than having the track available for your own personal use 24/7. If Aston was real, how many of you could afford to clock up thousands of laps each year to learn the ideal line in a GTR? That's not very realistic either is it?

EDIT: S******ING? FFS... alright... no laughing...
wheels only - Z axis maxed out - and moving back over the rearaxe for optimum overview.

@nihil: agree to ur 2nd point 100% . my 17" is small enough. no reason to waste 2/3 of it by the static cockpit.
Quote from nihil :I also hate the fact that the cockpits reduce the useable space on my screen to about a third, filling up the rest of the space with useless, decorative graphics.

My feelings exactly, you have a steering wheel and a desk in front of you which are where the dashboard and interior would normally be, so why have another set of these "inside" the screen?

The counter-argument is that obviously in a real car you can't see the wheels and being able to see them allows you to place the car more easily than in real-life.

My favourite view is to use custom view, turn all the car interior/exterior rendering on and place the camera basically where the windscreen in front of the driver would be, so that the monitor screen becomes like the windscreen of the car (or the driver's side of it). Basically a kind of over-bonnet cam.
The results show that the vast majority of drivers wouldn't notice if there was a server option to force incar view.

Incar myself 55-56 degrees, TIR,

A point about taking up screen acreage. When you're driving you're surely concentrating on a point in the middle distance, no? So there's no need to see more.
Quote from Doorman :The results show that the vast majority of drivers wouldn't notice if there was a server option to force incar view.

No, I probably wouldn't notice, but it is beyond my ken why you lot obsess about it. Its just not rational....

EDIT:

Quote :A point about taking up screen acreage. When you're driving you're surely concentrating on a point in the middle distance, no? So there's no need to see more.

Maybe its something to do with the way I perceive things, but there is no middle distance. Its all on the same plane.... Its a screen. What you mean is that you are concentrating on a small part of the centre of the screen. So why surround it with crap? My point is exactly that there is no reason to see more!
i dont see how u can race in the "wheel" view, u cant see your bonnet so you cannot judge the how close you are to bumping someone etc.
also the guy who made the point about having the wheel on your desk and on the screen.... well you can turn the wheel off in the options so you just have the dash.... surely that would be more realistic? i use the wheel in the game to judge how much its being turned etc due to the fact that my wheel only turns 180degrees
Quote from SLIDE WAYZ :i dont see how u can race in the "wheel" view, u cant see your bonnet so you cannot judge the how close you are to bumping someone etc.

Its a reasonable point, but you can't really see your bonnet in cockpit view either.
#25 - joen
In-car ofcourse, the only proper way.

(70 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG