The online racing simulator
Anti Aliasing and Anisotropic filtering Controls in game?
Is it possible to get Anti Aliasing and Anisotropic filtering added onto the Graphics menu. It's (I'd guess) Easy from a programming point of view a easy add on for a future patch. It would save alot of us the hassle of creating custom configurations for this game. The graphics are great at higher resolutions with aot of AA&AF. Adding more controls as far as graphics and audio would be great. what about adding a Config save on the control menu? That way people would have multiple configs for the same game. This would be handy if you had multiple controllers you used.
firstly I doubt that it would be "easy" from scawens point of view. I don't know exactly how it would work (perhaps going from dx7 to dx9, which would be quite a hassle, me thinks, or even worse, having to write his own routines for FSAA and AF)

secondly, using the nvidia control panel, activating FSAA and AF for games is no more complicated than doing it in game. You can set up profiles very easily that activate both per game, so you don't have to manually switch it on or off to play.
#3 - dev
Quote from ColeusRattus :firstly I doubt that it would be "easy" from scawens point of view. I don't know exactly how it would work (perhaps going from dx7 to dx9, which would be quite a hassle, me thinks, or even worse, having to write his own routines for FSAA and AF)

secondly, using the nvidia control panel, activating FSAA and AF for games is no more complicated than doing it in game. You can set up profiles very easily that activate both per game, so you don't have to manually switch it on or off to play.

Ok, but I (for example) have to games. One I can run with 8x/16x, the other I have to run with 2x/4x to get playable performance. Isn't it easier to set both in the game only once or to constantly switch between them when I switch games?
#4 - Jakg
You can set up application specific profiles to you know
I use the ATI tray tools app- I've got a profile which cranks everything up all the way which is useful for screenshots but not really practical for racing. Then I've also got my standard LFS profile. It would be convenient to be able to control these settings in game, as for now you have to quit out to swap profiles over.

edit: although, ATT allows more options than I'd imagine you'd want or need for LFS.
#6 - Jakg
yup, i do the same but because i use nVidia i have 3 different LFS.exe's, 1 for NO AA (for quick loads and tests), 1 for normal racing (8xAA, 16xAF) and an HQ one (16xAA, 16xAF etc
Anyone else ever noticed weird behaviour when chancing FSAA/AF settings with ATI cards and drivers? I mean that the settings doesn't go on or off like you've set them... I don't know how to recreate this but e.g. if you first open the game with FSAA/AF on, then happen maybe alt-tab, go back to game, close it and go changing FSAA/AF settings, the settings you just made still don't apply when you restart the game... no idea might this be related to that LFS doesn't have own FSAA/AF settings? So the settings are always forced by drivers you know and that somehow screws it up...

I have noticed this at least with 5+ different versions of official ATI and and Omega drivers.
had the same when I had ATI graphic card.
Yep- I get that sometimes too- happens about 30% of the time. It's annoying and quite random.

PS, Devil007- great to see you around again!
#10 - wien
Quote from ColeusRattus :firstly I doubt that it would be "easy" from scawens point of view. I don't know exactly how it would work (perhaps going from dx7 to dx9, which would be quite a hassle, me thinks, or even worse, having to write his own routines for FSAA and AF)

Yep. It's definitely not easy to do. DirectX 8 doesn't actually have (AFAIK) an API for setting the AA/AF level. Scawen would have to upgrade to DirectX 9, which would be quite a bitch. Even in DX9 you have to do a bit of checking and mocking about to find out exactly which MSAA levels you can apply on the graphics card you're working on. I'm not even sure you can apply Supersampling through the API.

All in all I think it's easier to just leave it in the driver for now. Perhaps it's worth looking into if LFS moves to DX10/OpenGL3/Fancy-new-API for S3.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG