The online racing simulator
Hotlap starting point
(15 posts, started )
#1 - ysu
Hotlap starting point
It would be nice if we could set the start point farther back in hotlapping mode.
It'd help to heat up the tyres a bit more for the hotlap (if you don't want to do an extra lap for every good one)
Maybe we could use it to train some specific corners better too.
I think the starting point is the last split before the start/finish, which on tracks like FE Black is miles away.

You could just turn around and go the wrong way for a bit at the start of hot lapping.
and/or purposely slide the car a bit, or induce understeer.

The starting point for most tracks is fine to me. Give or take a few laps for a good world record... hardly anyone will get their fastest lap on the first lap, if you keep goin and are warmed up an in tune after the 1st warmup lap, better laps come more often (at least for me).

Even though it may be a slow startup to do 1 warmup lap, you don't have to be the fastest on the first lap, but at least get your tires to optimal temps before the 2nd lap. You usually want to get your tires a little bit below the optimal temps anyways, so starting not too far from the finish line is good.
#4 - Chaos
I say it would be best if the hotlap session started in the pits... You always have to warmup your tires and one lap is just enough...
I also think hotlaps and qualifying should start from the pits. In fact, the ONLY session NOT to start from the pits should be the race (and even that should be optional - if we want to start from the pits, form up on the grid manually, do a pace lap manually then start the race, I think we should!)
Tristan, if you want to try and get the great unwashed to do that, then be my guest. But dont come crying to me when you're on a public server and you cant race.
#7 - Goop
I find the last split to be a pretty good place to hotlap from, for the above reasons, and pssst, it's also a pretty handy spot to praccy your pitlane entrances from for a big race :up:
Good to know I'm not the only one who calls them the great unwashed. It's my main reason for avoiding all forms of public transport wherever possible.

But for serious league races, especially once dynamic road surfaces (rain, mud, grease etc) are implemented, having formation laps etc would help find where the grip is a bit. And add to the realism...
There should be rolling starts, and if you speed you get penalties like when you speed in the pits.
#10 - ianj
Start anywhere
I would like to be able to start anywhere I choose - so I could paractice a particular section again and again
yup ... options would be good, start at your choice of split or even the pits
Hi, i think it would be great to start hotlapping with tyres already warmed.
Imagine furmula one starting qualifying with cold tyres.illepall
Check your tyres when you start - they're only 20 degrees below optimum, and thats pretty good. Remember, real life tyre warmers don't heat the tyres right up to optimum temp, and if they did it'd be wasted cos they'd cool down as soon as you take them off.
#14 - Jakg
Quote from tristancliffe :Check your tyres when you start - they're only 20 degrees below optimum, and thats pretty good. Remember, real life tyre warmers don't heat the tyres right up to optimum temp, and if they did it'd be wasted cos they'd cool down as soon as you take them off.

and when you qualify your tyres would over heat
ok but warming the tyres when hotlapping isn 't always easy.

Hotlap starting point
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG