The online racing simulator
Car resetting fixxed
(53 posts, started )
Car resetting fixxed
I hate it when ya cash and need to reset(I'm sure others do to), you do it but the car resets and is stuck in the kitty littler or on a ripple strip and can't move ... so you end up needing to return to pits just so you can go again

How about making it so it resets you on the track in a safe place and off the racing line
Yes, i agree.

Although if you went itno the gravel trap in real life you would be stuck, its just makes a game boring as you have to start the race again from the pits. Resetting the car off the trap (with say a 5 second reset delay) would mean you lose time while in the trap and then a set penalty time for resetting.

Just a thought
#3 - Noccy
no dont agree
if u get stuck ,u get stuck
if u go offroad alot, jack up your ridehight and u can drive over most sandtraps.
it adds to the tension in long races or just when hitting a sandtrap and trying to keep speed so u dont get stuck.

reset allready bugs me when u see ppl abuse it to recover fast from a spin ,just resest and blast away in the right correction..no waiting for traffic or wrestling your car in the right direction.
Thats why a time penaly as Stellios would be good
#5 - X-Ter
I agree. I don't use the reset option very often since it's usually don't do much good. But a reset option with a timedelay would be more than ok if it put you back on track.
I know it's not "real" to have it that way, but for the sake of gameplay, it should at least be there as a server option. Just imagine to be the one putting the car in the trap during a 24 hour race and having to explain to your team mates that you went off and ruined the race for them all.
5 seconds seem a little low though. I could go for up to as much as a couple of minutes.
Quote from X-Ter :I know it's not "real" to have it that way, but for the sake of gameplay, it should at least be there as a server option. Just imagine to be the one putting the car in the trap during a 24 hour race and having to explain to your team mates that you went off and ruined the race for them all.

I agree with the idea that it should be a server-side option to allow or dissalow resetting of the car, this way random-join-servers can be very playable and league admins can make their server as "realistic" as they want.
I've always felt the solution to the reset not working issue was not to crash in the first place. If you do (and we all do) accept that you suddenly lost all ability to drive. If the reset doesn't work, accept that the spin/crash/incident was a race ending one.

I think the most important thing needed after crashes now is major engine/drivetrain damage. Nothing visual to start with, just the inability to stop people trying to drive back to the pits with utterly wrecked cars. i.e. after a crash the engine stops. Pressing I to start it results in the message "You are a noob, you engine/gearbox/driveshafts are borken. Learn to drive".
Quote from tristancliffe :Pressing I to start it results in the message "You are a noob, you engine/gearbox/driveshafts are borken. Learn to drive".

Well, some accidents are not in your control... and no I don't mean divine intervention, just other drivers.

I think it's a good idea (more-so with the server-config idea) and the time penalty sort of simulates marshalls helping you out because some cars, no matter what setup you have on them will get stuck in some tracks.

Getting bumped off in a UF1 at Fern Bay Club Rev's second chicane before the last turn usually ends up with you in the pit before the inside barrier of the said turn and the UF1 is just the right size to get jammed in there with no damage what-so-ever.
Quote from tristancliffe : Pressing I to start it results in the message "You are a noob, you engine/gearbox/driveshafts are borken. Learn to drive".

Did I miss something? I've never actually had my car stall after a spin...I thought that was a feature we were still waiting for?
Erm, if you read my post you'd see that I want the engine to stop in large crashes, and not be restartable. So yeah, it's something we're still waiting for...
I wish space and reseting didnt exist. Its a pain when some n00b goes flying down the wrong track on the first lap (i.e past the tyres and driving the wrong config) and suddenly appears on the outside of the corner where you are. It ends up ruining your race. I like LFS for the fact if I go off into the gravel theres a chance that I'll get stuck. To me this adds an extra factor while racing in long races and makes me think if it's worth pushing so hard around a certain corner with gravel compared to a corner with grass.

Keiran
Yeah. Resetting should be indeed a server option. It would add so much realism when in you just could not reset your car or even teleport to the pits when you get stuck/on the roof. Sure it would be annoying in long race to screw up, but that's the way life is, you can't win all the time.
But it would be better if it was a server option because not so serious servers could have it on so that you would not get overly annoyed because someone wrecked you on the first corner in a public server or you made a little mistake that caused you ending stuck.
#13 - Woz
Quote from geeman1 :Yeah. Resetting should be indeed a server option. It would add so much realism when in you just could not reset your car or even teleport to the pits when you get stuck/on the roof. Sure it would be annoying in long race to screw up, but that's the way life is, you can't win all the time.
But it would be better if it was a server option because not so serious servers could have it on so that you would not get overly annoyed because someone wrecked you on the first corner in a public server or you made a little mistake that caused you ending stuck.

A server option to do the following.

- No reset
- No join after race start
- No jump to pits

You crash or get stuck somewher and you can't limp to pits for repair then your race is over, just as would be the case IRL.

Take the Bathurst 1000 that just took place. 4 of the top drivers out on lap one then many others not finishing. Cars in nightmare condition and on rims limping around the track to get back to pits. The pit crew then take big hammers and gaffer tape to the bodywork to patch the car up. One team did half the race without front and rear windows after getting hit by a flying wheel.
It seems to me to take an awfully long time to come to a stop over the kitty litter. Aren't those gravel traps supposed to slow you down a lot more? I slid into one doing maybe about 60 MPH and continued sliding until I hit a wall.

I've noticed a couple other minor issues when taking damage.
1. Bodywork sometimes clips into the tires. This doesn't seem to have any effect on the tires themselves. If there's bodywork cutting into the tires, that tire needs to blow, and quickly.
2. I have seen some thoroughly MANGLED cars manage to limp their way back to the pits after surviving crashes in which the driver should have been KILLED (roof is caved in, driver's helmet is sticking through...sure sign he's a goner) And I should know, I've driven some of those smoking wrecks. (the in-car view made me a little queasy...) If it's estimated the driver would sustain serious injury or death in the wreck, the race should be over for you. That would probably cut down on a lot of the kamikaze driving I see. (Of course, this should be turned off when hot-lapping, so we can screw up with impunity)

And I'd also like to note, the only time I ever really finding myself hitting the reset button is when I've been in a major crash and flipped the car onto its side/roof. This happens more often than I'd like.
Im my oppionion it os the best and easiest way to to is a serversided option.
The option should allow a reset to the pits. This option shouldnt replace the normal "car-reset-button". Something like shift+"Car-reset-button" would be great.
Example: A race with 50 laps on oval with F08. The leader crashes in lap 35 himself (without other fault). Then he should press shift+"Car-Reset-Button" and will be set to the pits with 34/35 laps on the screen. There should be the ability to repair the car and drive on the race. The lap increasement have to be individually on each track. (Reset before finish line= -2 ||| Reset afer finish line= -1 ||| so that cheating with this option isn´t possible!

Then the race isn´t over for the driver!
But the driver has an disadvantage for the crash!
If he would crash now...
1. The driver trys to reach the pits for repairs and handicaps the other drivers!
2. He would press "GO-Back-to-Pits-Button" and is much frusttrated of the lost race, because he has to start in lap 1 !!!!!!!

How do you like that suggestion??
Quote from Sk0rp :Example: A race with 50 laps on oval with F08. The leader crashes in lap 35 himself (without other fault). Then he should press shift+"Car-Reset-Button" and will be set to the pits with 34/35 laps on the screen. There should be the ability to repair the car and drive on the race. The lap increasement have to be individually on each track. (Reset before finish line= -2 ||| Reset afer finish line= -1 ||| so that cheating with this option isn´t possible!

Then the race isn´t over for the driver!
But the driver has an disadvantage for the crash!
If he would crash now...
1. The driver trys to reach the pits for repairs and handicaps the other drivers!
2. He would press "GO-Back-to-Pits-Button" and is much frusttrated of the lost race, because he has to start in lap 1 !!!!!!!

How do you like that suggestion??

No. That would just be unrealistic. If you crash, you must suffer the consequences.
Quote from Noccy :no dont agree
if u get stuck ,u get stuck
if u go offroad alot, jack up your ridehight and u can drive over most sandtraps.
it adds to the tension in long races or just when hitting a sandtrap and trying to keep speed so u dont get stuck.

reset allready bugs me when u see ppl abuse it to recover fast from a spin ,just resest and blast away in the right correction..no waiting for traffic or wrestling your car in the right direction.

Considering how it USED to be you could reset at any speed, the fact that
you need to come to a stop (<5mph i think) is not what i'd call "recover fast
from a spin". As much as i understand your view on the realistic aspect of
going off-road, you are talking about not having the reset at ALL, which
isn't really the issue here. The reset IS there, making it NOT usefull is
pointless imo. Instead, we should ask, how can we make it usefull without
making it unrealistic to the point where it is used strategically ? It's simply
there because bugs happen and getting stuck in a wall is not realistic either.

I can come up with pages of argument to counter all you purists. I can agree
with a server option to dissalow reset altogether, i just don't agree with
limiting it's usefullness, it is a tool after all. The time penalty is a nice example
of a compromise. Fact is, irl you have track marshalls, tow trucks and flags to
control traffic. None of this is implemented in LFS. How many real races do
you see where a car goes off-road and just stays there until it's over ?!
In that case, not having any reset means you could always use the pit
button, but this isn't realistic either now is it...
i never said anywhere i want to have reset removed.
But like many others here i like the extra tension sandtraps bring. U learn to take those corners a bit easier ,maybe put your ridehight 15mm higher(not much slower..but big difference in sandtraps).

But im arguing AGAINST making reset even more of an acrade help. It allready is annoying right now. for example..had a race where the leader spun out, stopped with his nose 180° on drivingdirection and facing cars flying towards him midcorner so he couldnt do a 180° and blast off again without waiting.
Well he just hit reset the instant his car came to a stop and drove on..didnt have to wait for cars to pass,didnt have to align his car again..just reset and off we go.
which is definatly a fast recover if u consider how long it would take normally
So im agruing about making reset even worse in that aspect.

However i do like your idea for a timepenalty. IF it is implemented right. So u go in the sandtrap, u wait for the towcrane to arrive and have them pull u out, or if your car is too damaged to continue they lift u over the wall.
Should make everyone happy..u can continue after trying some paris dakar and getting stuck , u get a timepenalty, and noone uses reset to gain stupid advantages.
Imo it would feel stupid to get stuck ,resest ,get a message "10seconds will be added to your racetime" and thats it.
I agree that it should take time, there and then. Time added to final time just isn't the same.
back to pits with 1 or 2 lap penalty is fine.

look at it this way, there are a few overweight lazy track marshall i see around the tracks, but im sure they wont just sit there and admire the car when it goes in the kitty and gets stuck. What are safety cars for? So the race is slowed while the wreck is getting cleared, and that doesnt usually involve teleporting car out sumplace. A tow truck comes, and when the car gets towed out.....well your not stuck anymore are you? but you will have lost time/position, which is simulated by the 1/2 laps down.

this is a bigger issue in the enduros, 5 lappers, dont worry. I'd suggest options for admins of leagues
If we want a REALISTIC sim, we have to go for realistic options. If you get stuck, that should be the end of it - why resetting? I can't count how many times I've had a race wrecked by someone resetting.
#22 - Vain
And can you count how often you've been wrecked by someone else (uninentionally or intentionally) and had to reset?
Wouldn't you be dead frustrated if someone wrecked you and you couldn't rejoin the race in any way?
My opinion: Resetting takes a minute, then you're placed on a safe spot on the track.
That also hinders wreckers, because they have to sit around waiting most of the time.

Vain
LFS must be growing up. Another intersting thread with points well argued.
I wouldn't mind betting my dinner money that most of you, in the event of kitty littering, do the following:
TRY to get out of said KL by normal means. If unlucky try a reset, if successful, wait till you can rejoin safely and carry on the race.
If unsuccessful, slap forehead and go to spectate.
I find the idea of having a mishap, go to pit and restarting from lap 1 a pointless exersize. After all, it's a sim isn't it?
Actually, this might be good also. Instead of a reset button, you could have
a marshall 'request' which would simulate a real crash where you have to wait
for the marshalls. If the car is driveable, they'd wait for traffic to clear and try
to push the car back on track. Maybe LFS could look at traffic and wait until
the track is clear to 'push' you back on it. I'm just brainstorming here.

The biggest issue with reset imo is that it's the only way to keep your lap
count for now. It's very annoying to lose that everytime get stuck on a high
point in a sand track, or on a curb. If the pit button didn't count the lap
(don't pass Go, don't collect 200$), but still keep the lap count, it wouldn't
be an advantage while making racing in LFS more enjoyable. Sometimes i
swear i can barely finish one race. With all the crashes and the Start-to-
Turn1 bullrun, sometimes you just need a quick fix and don't want to lose 2
minutes in the pits while your perfectly good tires are being swapped...
All those things interact and the fact that none are perfect just makes it
worse for now.

-"Oh and kid, no need to fix that front wing, i don't mind, i'm kind of in a race
here. KID!!! Ahhh, nvm."
I think resetting should be a server-side option, including a way to retain the lap-count if needed.

Due to nobody (?) wanting cars littered around the racetrack in the middle of the road, there should be a way to automatically force totalled (or if there's no-reset) cars off the road instead of them staying in the way.

Or perhaps resetting & pit-in could be allowed, but devise a way to force a pit-in in the above scenario and depending on the server options, not allow rejoining. It would ensure a clean racetrack for all while being fair(-ish).

Also if resetting is allowed, as Vain proposed, it'd be handy to prevent resetting until it's safe or force it in the next safe place behind the current location.

Having marshalls or a tow-truck pull yer wreck of a car out of the sand or tip it back on all 4s shouldn't happen because quite often once such ppl are needed, there's no resuming the race anyway (in RL). In fact there should be a feature that when you've totalled your car, you have to walk back to the pits yourself..

Car resetting fixxed
(53 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG