The online racing simulator
(F1) Traction Control Banned for 2008
Hmmm just read this...

Quote from Traction control axed from 2008 - 30 March 2007 :
Traction control will no longer be legal in Formula One racing from the start of next season. The change is just one of a number to the 2008 regulations agreed by the teams and FIA at a meeting of the World Motor Sport Council earlier this week.

Article 9.3 of the newly-revised technical regulations states: “No car may be equipped with a system or device which is capable of preventing the driven wheels from spinning under power or of compensating for excessive throttle demand by the driver. Any device or system which notifies the driver of the onset of wheel spin is not permitted.”

Outlawed in the 1990s, traction control was legalized for the 2001 season when it was felt that sophisticated electronics had made policing the ban impractical. From next season, however, standardized ECUs should make enforcement far easier.

Under other changes agreed, the regulations regarding engine homologation will be relaxed slightly, with teams able to make in-season adjustments to a longer list of components, including fuel injection and exhaust systems.

http://www.formula1.com/news/5857.html

No more traction control in 2008... How are they going to make the cars now, that's gonna be crazy
gonna be much better in my opinion modern F1 cars have no driving in them the race is won by pit stops all traction control,paddle shift gears,grooved slicks should be taken away without them it will show what a reall driver can do !!but yet some might disagree please leave your thoughts
I will be a stationary object in front of my TV in 2008 when F1 is on

This is absolutely wonderful news. Time to practice BF1 with TC off
bF1 with TC off is impossible
No it isn't. On the first day of the BF1 patch I did tons of laps without TC round KYGP Long. Just be careful with the throttle.
Teams will find a new way to implement traction control, I'm sure of that
Quote from Leifde :No it isn't. On the first day of the BF1 patch I did tons of laps without TC round KYGP Long. Just be careful with the throttle.

true nothing is impossible,but then again i love too plant the trottler and hear the BF1 screammmmmmm
Excellent, this will spice things up a bit .
This regulation is a great victory for driving skill.
what youl get is all the teams / drivers that are used to cr*ppy cars this year will be ready for oversteer and all that this year. and all the teams that have cars that are planted ( ferrari ) will be slower. So you will get a more compact field = more overtaking.
Hmmm this could be good as from comments made and watching on board shots people like button seem to use TC little while some drivers (i've noticed alonso did alot in the renault) use alot of TC at times.
Hopefully will mean closer racing though
Quote from spiderbait90 :what youl get is all the teams / drivers that are used to cr*ppy cars this year will be ready for oversteer and all that this year. and all the teams that have cars that are planted ( ferrari ) will be slower. So you will get a more compact field = more overtaking.

Those with real talent are always fast. And you have got plenty of that talent in F1. Imho, the biggest effect is seen on slow corners and in consistancy of getting those right consistantly. And tyre wear . If they wanted more passing they would do something about the aerodynamics

A good decision but imho it is just one another FIA's let's sallow it/let's not allow it/let's allows it again type of thing.

I think the current quali could do some enhancing too. The last part of it is dead boring compared to what it could be if the teams didn't need to burn that fuel in the beginning
Quote from spiderbait90 :what youl get is all the teams / drivers that are used to cr*ppy cars this year will be ready for oversteer and all that this year. and all the teams that have cars that are planted ( ferrari ) will be slower. So you will get a more compact field = more overtaking.

I think you'll find removing it will spread the field apart, TC is a very simple system compared to the rest of an F1 car all it has to do is calculate wheel slip and then take the appropriate action. Without TC the true driving talent will be exposed and TBH a lot of F1 drivers wouldn't be their if it was decided on skill rather than who the establishment wants to be their.
Quote from Hyperactive :I think the current quali could do some enhancing too. The last part of it is dead boring compared to what it could be if the teams didn't need to burn that fuel in the beginning

just go back to the old qualy format ... it worked well
2 days 60 mins each open track 12 laps per session ... fun to watch simple to understand and a lot of variables to make it interesting
Quote from Shotglass :just go back to the old qualy format ... it worked well
2 days 60 mins each open track 12 laps per session ... fun to watch simple to understand and a lot of variables to make it interesting

Nah, all it was was 2x40 minute empty track, then 2x10 minutes of minardis alone on the track getting the top 2. The rest 10min was the "real quali". Imho, the current system is actually quite good one, the last fuel burning session is just plain stupid imho

Fits really well with the Honda's save-the-world-and-give-us-your-money thing with those earth balls and all
Surprised and excited.
#17 - aoun
No TC in 2008? Monty needs to return! xd
That’s great! Time to see real driving and not just steering with the right foot welded to the floor…
I couldnt care less about traction control being banned, but they banned it before and the teams just did the same thing in a different way - the new wording is very ambiguous.

I really hope they never get rid of paddle shift though, I think that's a huge leap forward for driving and I wait with baited breath for the day a fast and reliable paddle shifter is available in an ordinary road car, rather than just Astons and Ferraris, or the 8 second gear change one on the Smart car.
Good news.
#21 - Mc21
Hell yes! Can't wait for 08
#22 - JTbo
Maybe they finally need to start concentrate making engines more drivable instead of silly horse power, when they drop wings it would be even more reasonable to get less power out, but I guess they never drop wings even that would be only good thing, there is nothing good in wings.
Quote from 11SuLLy11 :bF1 with TC off is impossible

Not if you have a throttle pedal - just don't press it as hard. Last time I played with the Sauber I wasn't using TC, and I was keeping up with everyone else. When I announced I wasn't using TC, people first called me a liar, then said wow, then they all went out and realised that it's not that hard and a hell of a lot more fun.

There is no skill letting a computer sort out your hamfistedness.
Quote from Becky Rose :I really hope they never get rid of paddle shift though, I think that's a huge leap forward for driving and I wait with baited breath for the day a fast and reliable paddle shifter is available in an ordinary road car, rather than just Astons and Ferraris, or the 8 second gear change one on the Smart car.

I'm all for bringing back proper H-gate boxes, would soon spice things up, look at the Senna lap at Suzuka, his gearshifts are so ridiculously fast, true skill

http://video.google.com/videop ... 485385&q=senna+suzuka
Agreed Alex.

Paddle Shifters are for morons who can't work a gearbox properly. I'll never buy a car with one if I can avoid it. I'd even pay more for a manual gearbox option if it came to it.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG