The online racing simulator
Idea: LFS Donations
(75 posts, closed, started )
Would you be willing to pay a donation of 5-10 dollars (about 3-5 pounds), or a license surcharge of the same amount so that LFS could be developed faster, have better features, better physics, real tracks/cars, etc? I certainly would. What's your take on it?
What poll?
Actually I'm happy to pay the current price for the current content.
It's sort of like saying: "As you've paid £1.00 for a bag of 5 oranges, would you pay £1.20 for a bag of 6?"
Well I would but I've already got 5 thanks so i don't need any more at the moment.
I have run out of milk though.
Sorry, I forgot to add the poll. I tried to change the title as quick as I could.
56.68$ is already too much to me, so I don't think I would pay to get updates faster
#5 - joen
No. Not because LFS isn´t worth my money, totally the contrary, but I just don´t see where you get the idea from that more money means faster development.

As for real life content, it´s not important to me, plus there´s more to getting licenses than just money, there´s too much complications. Who decides which content, Will the funding be even remotely enough to attain licenses? Probably not.
Money wont make this sim develop any faster than it does already, this is due to the way the devs work. I respect this and really feel that LFS is/will be a much better product than any game in a box.
I respect the way the devs work and the decisions made by them, because they often listen to the ideas and criticism both positive and negitive from all of us here in the forums.

But hey, giving them extra money is already possible and just goes onto your licence page doesn't it?

just dont expect a faster rate of development. it wont happen.

SD.
If you want to give the devs extra money, buy a bunch of S2 vouchers and hand them out to demo racers you know.
#8 - JTbo
I don't think that money would help as development of LFS is done at pace that fits dev's lives, so it is not being worked with monkey rage pushing to make deadline and trying to max out profits from it, so money just would not help in it.

Sure it would be nice to get everything right now, but in life it is quite stupid to except that, all good things take lot of time, also most annoying persons are those that would like to to have everything and prefferrably yesterday, then they start yelling when they don't get it immediately.

You can see these persons at servers coming and going joining at wrong places and racing generally only short races, usually trying to overtake at silly places and when they crash or spin they just quit server.

But still they do have right to live that way if they think that is way to get most of life, I know it is not
#9 - garph
We could use the money to buy 1000 monkeys and some old computers and see if they can finish LFS!?
Nope, that's out of the question.

This is the most expensive game I've bought and it's still a beta. Not only that, I really don't own the game, they do.

In reality we are leasing the S2 license. There's no guarantee that we will be able to use the license if anything happened to the developers. Remember that these guys are not backed by a larger corporation that would make good on their promises.

God forbid they died or got thrown in jail for violating any laws. We'd be up the creek. At least with other simulators you get to keep the rights to use the game, not here.

So, from my point of view, the $49 USD is all they should get. That's all I can afford to lose.
Quote from Indiana Jim :Nope, that's out of the question.

This is the most expensive game I've bought and it's still a beta. Not only that, I really don't own the game, they do.

In reality we are leasing the S2 license. There's no guarantee that we will be able to use the license if anything happened to the developers. Remember that these guys are not backed by a larger corporation that would make good on their promises.

God forbid they died or got thrown in jail for violating any laws. We'd be up the creek. At least with other simulators you get to keep the rights to use the game, not here.

So, from my point of view, the $49 USD is all they should get. That's all I can afford to lose.

he got a point :homersimp
#12 - joen
Quote from Indiana Jim :
This is the most expensive game I've bought and it's still a beta.

It's an alpha actually. Which doesn't really mean a thing anyway. It doesn't say anything about the quality of a product. Look at nKPro, it's at 1.0.3 or something and it's a pile of crap.

Quote :
Not only that, I really don't own the game, they do.

Like it is with most software you buy. You don't own your Windows either, you own a license which entitles you to use it. Ofcourse they own the game, it's their creation. Name me one commercial game where you actually own it.

Quote :
Remember that these guys are not backed by a larger corporation that would make good on their promises.

That actually speaks more in their favor than against them. Do you have any guarantee that you can play an EA game online untill the end of time? Furthermore you're stretching enormously.
As others said, due to the way LFS gets developed more money wont change much.

Some years ago the Grand Prix Legends Community collected several thousand dollars to buy Papyrus and Dave Kaemmer a gift. Just to say thank you for that great Sim. I among hundred others also donated 10 Dollars and a small Brabham 1967 F1 car.
Some "trustworthy" person from within the community, his name was Eric Bourgouin or something like that, he collected all that money and gifts and didnt gave it to Dave Kaemmer, after some time he wasnt heard of again.

But a more succesful Donation could happen in LFS, with which you could buy the Devs a Test Day in a Formula car or something like that, I'm sure alot of people would donate for a cool gift.
If you want to give more money to the devs just simply keep buying licenses =)
Quote from Indiana Jim :This is the most expensive game I've bought...

Wow! You must have bought some really cheap games!
Racing Simulations are all far too cheap, I dont understand why Live for Speed, netkarPro, NASCAR Racing 2003, GPL, Richard Burns Rally, and all those kind of Programs are so cheap, they are not supposed to be Mainstream Software, why on earth does a complex Driving Simulation cost as much as Half Life or Need for Speed???

Flight Simulator X Deluxe costs 70-80 Euro, thats quite alot more than normal Games, then the Scenery Updates, or the Flight SImulator Mods, they costs 30 - 100 Euro or even more, so clearly, the Flight Sim Community have gone a different and the better way than Race Simulations. Because Race Simulations are all too cheap, and that is why our Genre is lacking new content. Simulations are just not worth it from a commercial standpoint unless the Programmers are dedicated Motorsport Fans themselfs and great Programmers at the same time.
I too have a hard time with the view that LFS is too expensive. Good grief, I'd pay a lot more for it than they're charging. Spent probably double that last night at the bar for three hours of entertainment

I've spent probably pennies on the hour for the entertainment that LFS has provided, not to mention the perks like having some fun folks to chat with here in the forums from time to time

Want expensive? Try our game:

http://www.virtualrc.com/eshop/eshop.aspx?pcid=1

We charge $120 for the base game pack which doesn't include all the tracks. Those are extra. Granted, Virtual RC Racing is more of a niche thing. RC racers are used to spending a ton on their hobby, so most of them view it as well worth it in comparison to a weekend of racing.
#18 - JTbo
Yeah, at this summer, track day at local track is 60€, LFS is less I think, or maybe same? *runs to conversion site* £40.6 it seems to be, track day costs bit more than LFS S3 license and that is only part of costs, then you need to buy fuel, also wear to car and if you crash, that is going to cost quite a bit.

Also amount of fun it offers is just massive, I can't think anything that has offered better value to money than LFS.

But sure higher price can scare those who don't know from LFS, but again LFS is not in shops afaik so this is not happening, also one can get LFS in parts so buy S1 and after hunger increases buy S2.
And its still worth every penny Todd.

Out of interest, are you guys aware that your early-ish testers still have the 1yr unlimited licence? im pretty sure i did the last time i looked although seeing as i spent 6mth with a dodgy USB lead and only got it fixed when spotting Peter in Turin back in June... and how come its always him im seeing and never you?
Thats probably why i think its worth every penny though Still got 1yr old tracks ive not used though (3 of the 4 that came out with Halifax got a few laps, Heemstade, Messina and [insert other] around same time) as although i wasnt bad with kb it lost its main appeal.

As for the line about RC folk being used to that for a weekends racing, thats true, but can you imagine how much it'd cost to get to do what LFS Simulates in real life, makes £36 (which is pretty much what every game is released around in the UK, £30-40) a bargin, and i'd bet 90% of the people playing LFS have played this more than pretty much every other game they've bought, probably only comparable to the likes of maybe quake/wow/css/gpl level of game where you've gone back time after time without it losing the appeal most games do after a month or so.

Personally i wouldnt have a problem paying for additional content, provided it wasnt done at the expense of normal progress. If it ment hiring an additional person to either share the building of car/track models or the new guy handled the lot, couldnt give a hoot (within reason). I've never had a problem with paying for additional content, provided its value for money, and anyone that says LFS isnt worth what they've paid or twice that is pretty tightfisted (whether thats what some have been getting at or not) but it does seem fairly obvious that they're going to do this as a 3 man team and it'll be finished when they feel like it.

So, i'd pay for additional content provided progress wasnt harmed by this, but dont see paying any sum of money would speed things up because they clearly dont care about any time-line, they want to do it their way under their control.
It wouldnt suprise me if theres very few of the pre-S1 folk still playing by the time LFS developement stops, i'd put money on S3 final for 2010 at the earliest.
Quote from BlackSheep720 :Would you be willing to pay a donation of 5-10 dollars (about 3-5 pounds), or a license surcharge of the same amount so that LFS could be developed faster, have better features, better physics, real tracks/cars, etc? I certainly would. What's your take on it?

NO !

I put my money in the danish society, trying to strengthen our organisation and spread the news

Never give a man fish - Better learn him to fish, himself !

And hear this, "young guns"

Creativity can`t be bougth, with all the money in the world.
rest where we are, and wait untill next phase comes our way
The development speed of LFS is in NO way (no as in vacuum) correlated to money.
FWIW, most games for the PC you find in the store here in the US are at Walmart usually for $29.99. After a few months they are usually $19.99. When the next version is out, the old version is often $9.99 Not all of them, but most. FSX, sure, it is much more. But the usual is as I've listed.

Console games are a different matter. They are usually $60.

I'm not complaining or saying LFS isn't worth it. I just wanted to state what it's like here in the US. Vastly different than the UK, where you guys say 24 pounds is cheap for a game.

And, yea, the $0.01 below a whole number for price is ridiculous. I think they believe that $29.99 looks more appealing than $30 and it tricks folks into thinking it isn't as expensive as it really is. It's been like that forever.
Quote from mrodgers :FWIW, most games for the PC you find in the store here in the US are at Walmart usually for $29.99. After a few months they are usually $19.99. When the next version is out, the old version is often $9.99 Not all of them, but most. FSX, sure, it is much more. But the usual is as I've listed.

Console games are a different matter. They are usually $60.

I'm not complaining or saying LFS isn't worth it. I just wanted to state what it's like here in the US. Vastly different than the UK, where you guys say 24 pounds is cheap for a game.

And, yea, the $0.01 below a whole number for price is ridiculous. I think they believe that $29.99 looks more appealing than $30 and it tricks folks into thinking it isn't as expensive as it really is. It's been like that forever.

U american guys, and your dollar

The dollar is nearly worthless over here - Or its very very low, for the time beeing.
If all Americans gave 10 dollars (extra), then you paied the full price

Now - What about that

EDIT :
I`m looking forward to an American, who can give a good answer to this question !?
Hehe !
whats up
Quote from Indiana Jim :Nope, that's out of the question.

I agree with this.....you pay $49 US Dollars and if you want to give a friend an unlock an such people freak out and want you baned. I paid the money and they're telling me what I can and can't do with it. I'll go pay the $50 for the newest GTR-2 and install it on my PC and 50 of my friends PC's and have fun. With LFS it's different and me no likey, but I love the game and play all the time Hopefully s3 will be alot better in many aspects.
Quote from alland44 :U american guys, and your dollar

The dollar is nearly worthless over here - Or its very very low, for the time beeing.
If all Americans gave 10 dollars (extra), then you paied the full price

Now - What about that

EDIT :
I`m looking forward to an American, who can give a good answer to this question !?
Hehe !

I guess that why we are in america and your in DENMARK.......So what excatly are you trying to get across???????
This thread is closed

(75 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG