The online racing simulator
Road surface
(11 posts, started )
Road surface
The issue was risen couple of times I think but I dont mind reminding. It has nothing to do with bump mapping and surface lighting aspect.

I wonder why do we have bumps in LFS on curbs only.

Every type of surface or tarmac or part of road could have its own characteristic. It wouldnt be resource hungry mapping of every specific pothole (as we have few of them only - in some annoying places like brake zone ) but kind of spectral line (density per bump/pothole size) - one does not exclude the other. As I reckon this type of surface average is also used in grip simulations.

This would add a lot of realism comparing to cars floating now even with stiffest suspension setting. And it would be very useful in future when dynamic surface change will occur (dirt and gravel).
-
(Vain) DELETED by Vain
yup, it looks like one "bumpiness" slider for size and frequncy both.

yet still you dont see it in suspension travel really, not mentioning the car body.
Yes, the roads in LFS are not completely flat, but they are flat enough that you never ever feel those bumps in the FF, besides on Fern Bay in the XFR maybe, and South City of course. But the huge bumps you see race cars hopple over in live footage are definitely missing. Seems like all the tracks are brand new and no braking ripples have built up yet.
Quote from AndroidXP :Yes, the roads in LFS are not completely flat, but they are flat enough that you never ever feel those bumps in the FF, besides on Fern Bay in the XFR maybe, and South City of course. But the huge bumps you see race cars hopple over in live footage are definitely missing. Seems like all the tracks are brand new and no braking ripples have built up yet.

Yea that's why I like south city on a GTR machine - you get a real race feeling.
Quote from AndroidXP :But the huge bumps you see race cars hopple over in live footage are definitely missing.

There are a few of those, but I agree, there could be more in varying sizes.
There is no grainiess feeling to the road surfaces in LFS. Go drive nKPro so see what I mean or a real car. I do not feel any feedback through the wheel in LFS that maks me feel the car is connected to the road other then curbs. The road grain vibration is missing completely.
I dont know what you mean by grain - the type of tarmac (potholes smaller than 1 cm)? I think you can hear it (tire noise), maybe you can feel it through your butt (rather unlikely) but I dont think you can feel it through the wheel.

What I was talking about are bumps/potholes size of 1-5 cm height or even 1-10cm (tarmac and dirt, gravel) not being mapped in road mesh as specific bumps but as a characteristic of a surface - and the spectral line (density per bump height) or density of small, medium, large bumps would add realism to feel and look not putting a lots of detailed info into the map.
I was thinking about it for a long time. We need some nice sinusoid and complex and realistic road to give suspension some job
Let the car bounce and shake.

Now it feels that bumps are little cubes or triangles places on the FLAT.

hmm...
If you have played nKPro you woudl know what I mean by road grain. And yet I can feel the subtle veriations in the road surface through the steering wheel in my real car. Just as easily as every little vibration from the car and road through every part of my body that is in contect with the car.

Right now in LFS it feels like I am driving on buttery smooth concrete like a garage floor. There is not character to the road, it like driving on glass.
Yeah, I was quite surprised when I first tried nKPro and felt that "grain" (too bad the demo is so poor and from all I hear the full version is still way too buggy). It seemed a little too pronounced to me, though. But then again, I drive an old Audi 80 and don't feel much through the steering wheel anyways.
Quote from Gimpster :If you have played nKPro you woudl know what I mean by road grain. And yet I can feel the subtle veriations in the road surface through the steering wheel in my real car. Just as easily as every little vibration from the car and road through every part of my body that is in contect with the car.

In real life you feel the road through the seat mostly, only a little through the wheel. Also sounds may make you think that you feel even smallest grain of the road. The feeling of road grain is a vibration and that makes it difficult to model in a game because FFB wheels don't vibrate.

Road surface
(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG