The online racing simulator
Live for speed modding capabilities??
(61 posts, closed, started )
[U]I've read alot about Live for speed modding and I must say I am seriously thinking about not buying live for speed s3 if modding is not allowed. Modding is a very important success in many games and I'm here to tell you about one 10 dollar game changed into a game that has a 50 thousand member site just based on this game. Its called street legal redline and it's a big modding franchise there. The modding made the game, it use to have like 10 people playing this game when first released but since modding it most likley has over 500 playing this game todate. Street legal is a open game for modding and www.Gom-team.com has made the game what it is today. They've remade the game is what I'm pointing at. They are adding new cars, phyics, tracks, modes. Now I'm not saying live for speed needs this but hell it would make alot of people buy this game and have interest.
[edit: underlining removed]
#2 - joen
please use the search, this has been discussed to death, and the same pros and cons come up everytime. we will just have to wait and see.
If opening LFS to modding means more people who use underlined garbage as a medium of conversation, then that just seals it.

Some games NEED modding to work (rCraptor for example, which would be nothing without mods as the dev team have zero understanding of car dynamics, although it is only just above nothing WITH modding), others don't.

LFS doesn't need it at all.

If it happens, I hope there is a way to stop people like you being able to mod it - perhaps a £100 Dev-Kit fee and licence.
Whats needed is a community who wants quality. Look at unreal tourny, how many mods are made for that game (christ i made one :/) And how many are succesful? Not many, but the ones that are are pretty damn good (if you've never played clone bandits for ut2k4 then I highly recomend it, just so much fun )

Easy way of stopping mods from ruining lfs imo is the UT way, when you want to run a mod, you run the lfs exe with some command line parameter (well another icon really) and you can only see other servers with that mod. Stops it crossing over into the pure lfs world, and stops all the conflicts etc, you got the latest version of a mod you'll see servers (if its a quality mod).

Dunno how that would work with tracks. But for full mods (not single cars) then i feel it would work quite well. And let people who just want lfs with no crap that option .

fd
Quote from tristancliffe :
Some games NEED modding to work (rCraptor for example, which would be nothing without mods as the dev team have zero understanding of car dynamics, although it is only just above nothing WITH modding), others don't.

LFS doesn't need it at all.

#6 - joen
Quote from Sgt.Gunlee :I must say I am seriously thinking about not buying live for speed s3 if modding is not allowed.

Good luck with that. We don't need you.
Not this again.

All modding will do is ruin the point of LFS: fair, accessible competition. LFS already has the greatest diversity of car types in any sim to date, all of which actually behave quite properly to begin with.

Should Scavier decide to do so; once S3 is complete I'm sure content could be properly developed and churned out quite quickly. First we need infrastructure, not content. I still hope LFS is never opened to modding, at least not for online use. Offline might be fun to mess with now & then as an academic excersise.
Please use my avatar!

I've wanted to say that for ages!
#10 - JTbo
There is one long good discussion already in improvement suggestions area, can't see any point with this thread and this should be locked away.

We surely can discuss in one thread and that will save my KB great deal as I have written pretty much to there already and so have others, we have issue quite well covered for now I would say?
Hey dicks calm down, jesus, mine was stated with facts you ignorant morons. You don't go flamming someone for a idiotic reason as you did. I was stating my opinion which I have the right to do.
The thing is, LFS has been around 4 or so years and has steadily built up a loyal fan base. It still surprises me (and obviously annoys others) when people who've been into it for a couple of months think they're the first to think of modding it and start a thread about it (it seems especially annoying when it's posted in the wrong section too). So don't take offense, this topic gets raised every month or so (much like Jason Voorhees) and pretty much gets shot down every single time. The locals can get a bit snipped when people don't search to see if something's been mentioned before.

LFS is a sim focused on accurate physics and online racing and not the blingy homeboy arcadey stuff you'll see in NFSU or whatever. Its fans don't generally get turned on by taglines like this:

"The streets come alive after the sun goes down, and you're behind the wheel of a high octane, super charged import that takes no prisoners! This is where the street separates the men from the boys! Are you ready to race for respect or is life just passing you by?"

To be quite honest, that's a bit of a wank. Hell, it could almost be an EA game with a tag like that

But, *sigh*, I'm simply not ready to race for respect. I guess that means life is passing me by
#13 - JTbo
Quote from Sgt.Gunlee :Hey dicks calm down, jesus, mine was stated with facts you ignorant morons. You don't go flamming someone for a idiotic reason as you did. I was stating my opinion which I have the right to do.

Please, at least try to think twice before posting, you won't gain nothing by insulting people.
#14 - joen
Nobody said you don't have the right to state your opinion. But to start yet another thread about this subject (with no new unheard arguments by the way) is not necessary, especially since there's an already active thread about it.
I don't see how your thread overloaded with "facts" brings anything new to the table.
Calling names won't help you either.
Quote from joen :Nobody said you don't have the right to state your opinion. But to start yet another thread about this subject (with no new unheard arguments by the way) is not necessary, especially since there's an already active thread about it.
I don't see how your thread overloaded with "facts" brings anything new to the table.
Calling names won't help you either.

Ya just like they called me name lol, you guys raise such good reasons. I bet no topic stated what I stated.
#16 - JTbo
Quote from Sgt.Gunlee :Ya just like they called me name lol, you guys raise such good reasons. I bet no topic stated what I stated.

Yes, there is topics that have stated same things, perhaps not using same games but idea has been same, sorry but you really should take a look at thread at improvement suggestions area, read it trough and after that think if you have something to add to all that, it is several pages long so there is surely lot of talk.

Can we have a lock please?
#17 - joen
Quote from Sgt.Gunlee :Ya just like they called me name lol,

Who? Where?

And even if that would be the case it doesn't mean you should do it. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Quote :
you guys raise such good reasons. I bet no topic stated what I stated.

I'll raise you.

Even so, if you brought up some new arguments, does it need a whole new thread when there's already one about the same discussion?

Anyway, can we have a lockSMITH (Bob)?
Quote from joen :Nobody said you don't have the right to state your opinion.

these guys did: :inq:
Quote from Sgt.Gunlee :Ya just like they called me name lol, you guys raise such good reasons. I bet no topic stated what I stated.

I dunno dude, you basically stated that there's a car game out there that has modding in it, and that LFS might get more fans if it had modding in it too. It's pretty close to what a lot of pro-mod posters have said many times before in the past 4 years. All you did was mention a different game The fact is, it's an old, old topic that never really gets a lot of support.

Now where's that lock?
If it's the "street legal redline" I know, it definitely needed modding, as the base was appauling... (Ricer-game... :sour: )
Quote from bbman :If it's the "street legal redline" I know, it definitely needed modding, as the base was appauling... (Ricer-game... :sour: )

Street legal redline is the worst game I have ever played. Yes, even worse then Need For Speed Carbon! Graphics are terrible, but I get 10fps in it anyway. The physics are so bad that I can't find words to describe them. And, the tuning.... More "part x = +20HP" shit. It is so bad that it isn't even funny. Good thing I didn't buy the game...
The best thing about LFS is that you can jump online and immediately connect to a server. There's no worry about mismatched tracks or someone with a 10,000hp car. I do not want to see LFS opened to mods.

However; I would like to see the devs utilize the community more. With the tools available today, and the number of talented people on this forum, we could probably have dozens of qualitytracks and cars in the game in no time. The devs would simply have to review and approve the submissions. Hell, I'd be willing to pay good money for a few new tracks if the devs would just put them in the game.
Street Legal devs were forced to finish the game development before it was ready to be published. They made the game in 6 months. It has a pretty complex engine but they didn't have time to polish it.
#24 - JTbo
Quote from Cue-Ball :The best thing about LFS is that you can jump online and immediately connect to a server. There's no worry about mismatched tracks or someone with a 10,000hp car. I do not want to see LFS opened to mods.

However; I would like to see the devs utilize the community more. With the tools available today, and the number of talented people on this forum, we could probably have dozens of qualitytracks and cars in the game in no time. The devs would simply have to review and approve the submissions. Hell, I'd be willing to pay good money for a few new tracks if the devs would just put them in the game.

You too should read that modding thread at improvement suggestions and after reading it think

There is no point to discuss about modding here when we already do have one thread for it.

Anyway really can't get it why people always assume that modding = mismatches, just go and read that other thread before posting anything here and after reading post to that other thread

HERE is link to all lazy people (like myself), now stop posting your ideas about modding to this thread, I certainly don't see point to split discussion.
Quote from JTbo :You too should read that modding thread at improvement suggestions and after reading it think

I already read that thread. You appear to be one of the few who think modding is a good idea.

Quote :Anyway really can't get it why people always assume that modding = mismatches,

Because past experience tells us that it does. Take a look at any of the games where modding is reasonably easy. rFactor is a mess, with multiple versions of each track, multiple versions of the same mod, etc. Even games like GTR and GTL which are a little more difficult end up with tons of crap. Look at No-grip and see how many cars are released for those games. GTL basically has two dozen Mustangs (the Gran Turismo of the PC sim world?), some with bright purple paint or "low rider" schemes. Many of the tracks are straight ports from old games with horrible textures. Nobody can agree which version of the track is "correct", so you end up with three different versions.

Modding is 90% crap and 10% diamonds. Keeping control of the game in the hands of the designers keeps the crap out. We just need to find a way to let the diamonds in.
This thread is closed

(61 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG