The online racing simulator
System freezes after ~1h
(8 posts, started )
#1 - Vain
System freezes after ~1h
Hello.

Since I purchased S2 (and bought a MOMO Racing Wheel) my system freezes upon me when I play about 1 hour straight.
Before the MOMO I had a gameport-wheel that worked for longer durations.
I believe the problem is related to USB, because when I unplug the wheel while the system is freezed the sound-loop stops after a while and when I press Ctrl+Alt+Del I will get a mouse-cursor that actually moves. Sometimes I can even get the task-manager up and can shut down LFS manually.
The problem occurs with and without the Logitech-Software. Also the actual USB-port where the MOMO is plugged in isn't of any importance.

This all happens on Win2k SP4, with Logitech-software and -drivers on version 4.60 and current usb-drivers for the SiS 748 chipset.
The system frequencies are all as specified by the vendor. No overclocking involved. The system is stable under 100% system load for well over 12 hours (tested).

So my questions are:
1. Does LFS have any debugging-abilities beyond deb.log that might help me in my quest to track down the error?
2. Did anyone stumble across a similar problem?
3. Does anyone have advice where to search for the error?

Thanks for reading.

Vain
#2 - BATOR
only a guess but is the momo usb 2 and your pc only usb ?
#3 - Vain
Thanks for the answer, but USB 2.0 is supported by the chipset.

Vain
i had a similar problem but it wasnt related to the usb port as yours seems to be, lfs would randomly crash, screen frozen, sound looping and after a minute or so monitor would power off and after another minute and alot of 3 finger saluts a bsod would appear pointing to the nvidia drivers. now the nvidia drivers dont solve nothing, i tried all sorts of drivers. what i see here is that you have the same chipset manufacturer as me, SIS, which in my opinion is crap, no matter what chip nº it is.
i found that with hvs off in lfs i could play fine but with huge fps loss wich is no option.
for me the write combine box in windows display properties did it. this is supposed to speed up the pci or agp transfers(i dunno how). with the box checked i can play every game without any problem EXCEPT LFS, if i wanna play lfs i remove the check, reboot and there i go. there is a fps loss with the option off but i guess ill have to live with it until i get a decent mobo.
#5 - BATOR
it may be supported but is it actually functioning ? have you checked ? device manager / Universal serial Bus controllers / Enhanced Host controller - is it there ? Is it enabled ?
#6 - Vain
Thank you very much for pointing me towards this problem, Barroso!
I investigated on the USWC/Write-Combine on SiS motherboards and found that SiS boards are in fact prone to freeze once in a while when write-combine is enabled. There is a patch for the SiS AGP out there that solves the problem. Though it is dated 2003 it wasn't shipped on the CD when I bought the motherboard in late 2004. Too bad.

Nevertheless, thank you very much for pointing out this write-combine problem. You saved my day, the next weeks, months or propably years of LFS gaming.

Vain
no problem, glad i could help, but i never heard of such patch, i think you mean the new version of agp filter? if it is so the agp filter is the same since v1.17, its currently at 1.21 even though the driver is still from 2003. so how did you solve your problem?
#8 - Vain
I applied the most recent AGP patch my vendor (Gigabyte) showed (1.17e) and in the following test it worked well over 3 hours straight.

On the other hand... since I upgraded the NVidia drivers to 7801 LFS freezes my system whenever it shuts down.

Vain

System freezes after ~1h
(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG