The online racing simulator
extend recent chat list (H)
(10 posts, started )
ok this is really bugging me now, but I seriously think we need to be able to use the up arrows to see what has been said .. even before what is shown last, all games that have chat that I have used have this, except LFS, and I really think LFS needs to have an extended recent chat list using the up arrows

(this most likely sucks gramatically its because im.. trying to get back to a race about to restart)
imho it should be done with a console type interface (the thing you get in shooters if you press the key above tab)
this way you could scroll, input server commands without pressing t all the time, execute and maybe even write scripts etc
Yes, this is a must to all multiplayer-based games. In fact, the whole chat system is currently pretty bad. Here's what I recognise as problems:

- Impossibility to scroll up (and back down) on the chat.
- Impossibility to whisper (type a message to a person only). This is not absolutly required, but think about it, it cuts a lot of unwanted messages. Also, for server with one-language rules, it would be great for two racers who want to change in their language.
- There are a lot of insim messages that somehow go trought the chat system that are basically unwanted; say someone types something to get an information and everybody receives it, that kind of thing.
- Making the whole thing more customizable would help, change font, font size, add smilies, all that would make it better to the eye and more user-friendly.

However, if we look at it, LFS chat system has mostly always been the same. Scawen is probably aware that it needs a bit of work, but as we know has much more work to do, a lot of it being more important than that.
it would also be great if the messages would not obscure the minimap...
Quote from Not Sure :it would also be great if the messages would not obscure the minimap...

I'm Not Sure (), but why aren't putting the map on the other side of the screen?
#6 - dev
Quote from Riders Motion :I'm Not Sure (), but why aren't putting the map on the other side of the screen?

I have my map on the right and the most annoying thing about it is that it disappears as soon as the leader passes the finish line, and shows the freaking position list...
#7 - ajp71
N2003's message system worked by having one line of text on the top of the screen for player messages and one for system messages and a console to review/save all the messages plus PM by typing the car number at the start of the message. Both things I'd like to see as an option in LFS.

Due to the bulk of text sent in LFS it'd probably be best to have a couple of lines reserved for player messages, then a system line, then a line for InSim messages. I'd really like to be able to set my text to all one colour as well and maybe different types of message to different colours.

Other good improvements to the message system would be an ability to ignore annoying people and a ban on multiple messages, there's no reason you ever need to give more than one message a second other than spamming.
+1 for this idea. maybe press H for a recent chat list. and press Shift-H for a extended recent chat list. and/or log all the chat in a file in the LFS folder from the last say 5 times played.
Quote from Riders Motion :I'm Not Sure (), but why aren't putting the map on the other side of the screen?

because then it obscures the rear view mirror..
The original improvement suggestion really would go well with the increased connection amount on servers. Could imagine that more people = more messages. That would of course mean that the log goes on quicker and it's easier to miss something important.

(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG