Dual Screens - Views
(28 posts, started )
Dual Screens - Views
Hi,

I think we should have some options for dual screens. For example, your racing on one screen, while the other shows all your car data ie fuel, tyres, etc.

Think this would be quite a good idea, or even on the second screen have the rear view or something like that.

Tell us what you think,

Cheers,
I like this idea. My keyboard is kinda difficult to reach when i have my wheel setup, id love to be able to see tyre/suspension detail on another screen, I have another monitor less than 12" away from my main screen. Rear view would be a nice option too.
Yes, I'd like some more use from my other screen too. Programmers, get on it...
I'd love to be able to do this. The only sim I know of that can do this well is Flight Sim 2004 which lets you put GPS, dials, even the whole dash on one screen, and wide open view on the other. I think a setup with main screen is normal, second screen has mini left and right views taking up half the screen, and a rear view taking up the bottom half would be cool.
Great idea! LFS was my reason for buying a new wheel, it might as well be the reason why i buy another 17" TFT!
#6 - Sk0rp
I think is is a huge affort for scawen.
I don´t think that we´ll see it in LFS ever.
Other things are more urgent then this feature.
On the other side: How many people has a dual screen workplace(@home)?
dual screen doesnt mean, dual view 3d hardware accelerated views...
more and more people i think are using dual screens, WOuld be a nice feature thou
LFS most surely needs better multi monitor support. The current support is not very good. Sure it supports all kinds of different reslutions which is a good thing. The problem is that Matrox is the only graphic card manufacturer which makes 3-monitor grahpics cards. Two monitor cards are really popular now, almost all modern cards have support for dual monitors.Only problem with 2 monitors and games is that main thing happens to be in the center of the monitors. It pretty much makes 2 monitor gaming setups useless. Unless the game has good support for it, which in my opinion LFS does not. I recently tried to setup my LFS to work with 2 monitors. I tried to create an offset custom view so that the dash and the straight forward view would be in the center of the main monitor and the other monitor would show right or left side. I tried playing with the custom view which I could not get perfected, the view was always somehow twisted or distorted. Not to mention you can't disable the wheel and driver.

True multi monitor support (like FlightSimulator) would be awesome. Atleast I would like to see the custom view settings to be made better. But then again, it would also be great if you could have fuel consumption, tyre wear etc stuff on the other screen.
Quote from Sk0rp : How many people has a dual screen workplace(@home)?

Many people, especially in the computer industry start with 2 at work. Once you start realizing how efficient it is when you're coding, or comparing servers, etc. etc. you know that you need them at home. Theres more dual screenies out there than you think, but its not mainstream yet.

As for this suggestion, I'm not too hot on the idea; stats can distract the driver. A rearview on the other screen would kill all but the best graphics cards. You'd then be rendering at least 3 view points, if you run the real mirrors, you'd be rendering 5 (assuming each mirror has its own view). Its certainly a lot of work for Scawen, if its possible to do in this manner.
Personally i use my laptop as a second screen when gaming , use a program called Maxivista ( Link ) , 14 day demo then cheap to buy if you like it .
Quote from the_angry_angel :Many people, especially in the computer industry start with 2 at work. Once you start realizing how efficient it is when you're coding, or comparing servers, etc. etc. you know that you need them at home. Theres more dual screenies out there than you think, but its not mainstream yet.

As for this suggestion, I'm not too hot on the idea; stats can distract the driver. A rearview on the other screen would kill all but the best graphics cards. You'd then be rendering at least 3 view points, if you run the real mirrors, you'd be rendering 5 (assuming each mirror has its own view). Its certainly a lot of work for Scawen, if its possible to do in this manner.

I was just sujesting a rear view as an idea. I know it would kill my car, but i think a screen to show stats would be could. The race map, tryes, fuel, and the other stats you have on your screen.

Dont think this would kill the graphics too much, as its just displaying what is normally on screen
Quote from Sk0rp :I think is is a huge affort for scawen.

I use at home
At work i used to work on 3 or 4 pc's at a time at home I have two pc's I use all the time and about 4 monitors with others lying around looking for a use Once you've tried a dual monitor setup you cant go back, it's like listening to mono radio
Quote from BATOR :Personally i use my laptop as a second screen when gaming , use a program called Maxivista ( Link ) , 14 day demo then cheap to buy if you like it .

In what way do you use it when gaming? Does it support 3D acceleration? From their website it doesn't appear to.. so do you just use it for multitasking?
Quote from Sk0rp :On the other side: How many people has a dual screen workplace(@home)?

I use dual screens at work, dual screens on my desktop machine, and three screens on my LFS rig (Parhelia). Being able to put everything other than the actual driving view on a secondary screen would be a huge benefit, IMO.

That MaxVista program doesn't support DirectX, so I doubt it'll work well for LFS. If anyone gets this to work, be sure to bump the thread. From their web site:
Quote :Hardware graphics acceleration such as DirectX or OpenGL is not supported for the Secondary Display

Quote from Cue-Ball :I use dual screens at work, dual screens on my desktop machine, and three screens on my LFS rig (Parhelia). Being able to put everything other than the actual driving view on a secondary screen would be a huge benefit, IMO.

That MaxVista program doesn't support DirectX, so I doubt it'll work well for LFS. If anyone gets this to work, be sure to bump the thread. From their web site:

but they say it works with flight simulator so it should work with direct-x games! ...i'm really ignorant about multimonitors stuff, so can someone tell me if with dual monitor support i can put the left view (or rear view) of lfs?

alternatively, is it possible to use a second pc with some lfs add-on (insim/lfs-spectator?) to have another view?

i have (as anyone i know) a spare pc and a spare monitor at least (i have plenty actually) so if we can find a way to achieve multiview with lfs, i think it would be another huge step towards realism...just imagine to have 3 monitors that give you front left and right view...amazing!
#18 - Vain
1. MS Flight Simulator 04 is special in this way, because it supports displaying through multiple GFX boards due to the way it was programmed. LFS and about any other hardware accelerated program do not.
2. You can use a dualscreen-setup when you have a dualhead GFX-board. You should be able to adjust the FOV accordingly, spread the screen over two monitors, turn the custom view in LFS 45° to the right and then you should see the front view on the left monitor and the right view on the right monitor.
3. Write an email to Matrox and NVidia and ask them to build a triple-head GFX board with more performance. Perhaps they'll listen.

Vain
Quote from Vain :1. MS Flight Simulator 04 is special in this way, because it supports displaying through multiple GFX boards due to the way it was programmed. LFS and about any other hardware accelerated program do not.
2. You can use a dualscreen-setup when you have a dualhead GFX-board. You should be able to adjust the FOV accordingly, spread the screen over two monitors, turn the custom view in LFS 45° to the right and then you should see the front view on the left monitor and the right view on the right monitor.
3. Write an email to Matrox and NVidia and ask them to build a triple-head GFX board with more performance. Perhaps they'll listen.

Vain

thanks for the reply!
about FOV, doesn't make it look wierd (unrealistic) to change the default value?

sorry for such stupid questions but i'm really a noob about this issue...
#20 - Vain
When you connect two monitors to your GFX board you have to set them up to react as one screen to make LFS work with both monitors. Because there is now one very wide display-surface you have to adjust the FOV to the new display-surface.

Note that I didn't do that yet. This is just theory.

Vain
Quote from Vain :When you connect two monitors to your GFX board you have to set them up to react as one screen to make LFS work with both monitors. Because there is now one very wide display-surface you have to adjust the FOV to the new display-surface.

Note that I didn't do that yet. This is just theory.

Vain

thanks for the clarification, anyway it's theory for me also because i don't have a dual head gfx board

let's hope to hear some (good) news from someone that can try that
I'd love to see the dual screen feature. My wife and I are having dual screen at home. I have dual screen at work too. As I could see, more people are having dual screen. And if more games are supporting this feature, I bet more people are wiling to have dual screen setup.
#23 - Jakg
Quote from Sk0rp :I think is is a huge affort for scawen.

wel, i have to tfs. but not enoug deskspace!
#24 - shim
gettin a second screen finally today and i got LFS open atm while im sittin in pit lane atm.. id love to have dual monitor support with the chat window and connections on the second screen.. with all the tire temps, and that kinda stuff aswell on the second screen
#25 - axus
I'm sure it will be pretty do-able when we get InSim improvements - someone could write a programme that could go in the second screen containing all this information - even current laps and so on... would be very nice indeed.

Dual Screens - Views
(28 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG