The online racing simulator
#1 - joen
DP1 in LFS possibility [warning : large images]
Quote from KeiichiRX7 :Passed the DP1 email along to the devs via the LFSTech email form on the main web page.

Those that hope for this car, i need a little help. Could someone with a less tired and less cluttered mind please create a new thread specifically for the DP1? its about 6 in the morning and i am absolutely fried from a long night at work

So upon KeiichiRX7's request, I thought I'd relieve his tired mind

A suggestion came up recently in the "Cars we wanna see in S3" thread.

Quote from wsinda :I'd like to see a car such as this one: track car, no downforce, AWD. V8 (twin Hayabusa) engine, giving a better power/weight ratio than the FO8. something like an MRT on steroids.

The car has been designed and built by one man. Check out his design & build log, it's a great read if you're interested in race car technology.

Following this suggestion KeiichiRX7 emailed the creator of this car asking him if he would like his car to be in a serious racing simulator.

Quote :
Owen,

the answer is definitely yes - it would be a lot of fun and i'd be happy to provide whatever support they need to make it happen.

dennis
----- Original Message -----
To: dp@dpcars.net
Sent: Friday, February 16, 2007 2:32 AM
Subject: Live For Speed

Hi,

Ive got a pretty simple question. How would you feel about the possibility of seeing the DP1 advertised in a racing simulation?

I head a team of Sim-Racers based around the Live For Speed Online Racing Simulator, and like to take an active part in the Simulator's community. More specificly I enjoy seeking out new content.

If the idea interests you, please let me know and i will put you in contact withthe developers so that they can faithfully reproduce your car.

Owen Atkin,
Team Principal, Zwarte Wind Racing, USA

Keicchi has sent an email to the devs to see if they're interested in working with the creator. Ofcourse it's up to the devs if they are interested in making this, but I applaud Keichhi for taking a pro-active role in possible benefit of LFS no matter what comes out of it.

Here's a link to the site of the creator, quite an accomplishment I would say

http://www.dpcars.net/

Pictures

Videos
Spinning
First in-car video on a kart track
Outside footage of first kart track outing
3D design
Onboard lap with the DP1
View from the helmetcam
First testdrive

Specifications

Quote :
SPECIFICATIONS and PRICING:

Wheelbase 80.5", Width 70", Length 113", Height 39" (top of rollbar), Ground Clearance 2.5"

Proprietary AWD system with Polychain GT2 belt drive and Quaife limited slip differentials

Chassis: carbon, quick-change bodywork

Wheels 13x8, Tires 225/45-13 Hoosier R6 or 20x8-13 race slicks

Engine: Custom 2800cc V8, 375hp @10,000 RPM, 220 lb-ft @6500 RPM

Gearbox: 5-speed sequential with reverse

Weight: 850lb. Power/weight 970 hp/metric ton (2.25 lb/hp)

Projected price as of March 2006: $125,000

NOTES:

1. All specifications and pricing are preliminary based on current prototype and are subject to change. Customers with deposits shall be notified of any such changes and will have the option to have their deposit refunded if changes are not acceptable. A deposit guarantees price no higher than MSRP advertised on this site at the time of deposit (however any subsequent price reduction prior to delivery would apply).

2. Pricing is for complete, ready-to-drive cars and includes a brand-new engine. Non-metallic paint is standard, other optional finishes available.

3. Cars are intended for recreational track use only. No compliance with regulations for street-legal vehicles is either intended or planned.

4. Due to AWD system cars are not eligible for any existing SCCA road racing class. Other clubs, such as NASA, may allow dp1 to compete, however no guarantee of eligibility can be made at this time. The cars may be eligible for SCCA Solo competition in Modified class.

Discuss.

I hope this startpost is ok Keicchi

@the mods: I was in doubt wether to put this in the general discussion section or the improvement suggestions section. This seemed more appropriate. But please move it if it's not.
Looks very interesting, even for an awd
I've been following the DP1 Car project for years, and what Dennis has done by himself is pretty much amazing. It does produce downforce though, don't know where someone got the idea it didn't. Somewhere in the archives, their is a CFD analysis of it. Its just not packing huge wings.

Would love to see it in LFS, should be an absolute riot to drive, even in its current 180 BHP form.

[DSR] DelusioN
Although it would be unexpected extra work for the devs I think (and hope) they will agree on doing it. An incompatible patch is looming on us and we might just get the DP1 with it. I suppose it would postpone the patch release date but... who cares if we get to drive that?
Thanks KeiichiRX7 for the effort
Looks like something Batman would drive at Track Days
Any new car would be interesting in LFS.
I would love to see it in LFS. Plenty more people will drive it since it's AWD. Only problem i could think of is "How the hell are we gonna skin this????"
#7 - MR_B
Wonderfully packaged, sweet little thing isn't it?
I must drive that car!

(In LFS, ofcourse )
Very interesting.

And its not RWD so Im all for it.
I stand up, salute KeiichiRX7 and aplaud this attempt - THIS IS A GREAT IDEA
and this is a GREAT CAR!
It's a great car - It's about time LFS gets another car with 4WD
I think it's an excellent car to have in LFS, but I wonder what Scavier think of it.
#13 - joen
Updated the startpost with some videos I uploaded. Some may still have to be processed by YouTube before being able to watch them though.
I have no idea why i am still awake.... but i got a couple emails.....

Quote :Hello,

Thanks for your email.

Please can you tell me a bit more about this? It is difficult to know which
car you are referring to from this forwarded email.

Thanks

and then about an hour later when it clicked whch car i was talking about....

Quote :Hello again.

Please ignore my previous email!

We are actually already aware of this car as another user has contacted us
about it.

Thanks

PS, thanks for starting the thread Joen.
#15 - axus
This looks sweet. I hope it works out.
#16 - joen
So you got two identical email messages from the devs?

You're welcome.
Looks like a pretty well packaged piece of kit. What I missed at first was the fact of just how small it is.

970 bhp/ton
corrected, pasted same email twice
Great news! Not sure I wouldn't have made that so public though...that's going to put some unwanted pressure on the devs shoulders...And we all know they don't like pressure...
#20 - joen
Ok, just to make some stuff clear.
I started this thread (for Keiichi, all credits to him, the following will purely be my personal vision on it) not to pressure the devs in any way whatsoever. If this comes across to them in that way then by all means close this thread.

But to me it seemed a good idea to get an impression on what the community thinks about it. People could have gone like "meh, don't like it at all". Then it would probably not be worth the trouble to create it in the first place. But luckily a lot of people like it.

So, whatever the devs decide to do or not to is their decision and I think we will all respect that.
This car is cool
Don't get me wrong, this looks like a nice, and fun car to drive, but if we're going for a new car why was the Atom not considered instead?
#23 - axus
Quote from ORION :This car is cool

Having looked at it some more, I completely agree. Wow, I can imagine this being scaaaary to drive - it looks like a beast from hell (in a good way) and I'm pretty sure it will drive like one.

@prodeg - It was. Someone tried to contact them and let them know about LFS with no success sadly. But the Atom's a completely different thing.
WOOHOO! I've been following the DP1 development for about a year and a half now. I had actually intended to email him regarding the possibility of getting this crazy little thing into LFS aswell, but seems I was beaten to it

I sincerely hope the devs will get this thing into our beloved sim; I can't afford to buy a DP1 from Dennis, so I would love the opportunity to drive a simulated version!

Quote from prodeg :Don't get me wrong, this looks like a nice, and fun car to drive, but if we're going for a new car why was the Atom not considered instead?

The company producing the Atom was also contacted; by a couple people, but AFAIK no response was ever received Personally, I'd want the DP1 more, but I'd love to have both!
#25 - joen
Quote from prodeg :Don't get me wrong, this looks like a nice, and fun car to drive, but if we're going for a new car why was the Atom not considered instead?

Tristan has emailed them a couple of times but never got a response.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG