The online racing simulator
Historic Class?
(33 posts, started )
Historic Class?
Alot of talk about a new class in racing or a new car type has been suggested.
Truck Racing of course is the best one so far, followed by Trans-Am style cars of the 1968-71 years, proper touring cars...
what about PreWar OpenWheel cars
Spirit of Speed? or Spirit of LFS.... the way the game has progressed this could be a stunner
Spirit of Speed deserved to be a damn good game. Unfortunately it's only redeeming feature was the tracks (and only the tracks that were picked, they weren't even put into the game very well).

So yeah, something like that in LFS would be very different.
#4 - ajp71
It would take a lot of work to simulate cross-ply tires and vintage enignes, but vintage racing would be fantastic

Even more modern historics would have big problems, I have little confidence in LFS currently simulating race engines well.
historic cars would be amazing

especially realistically modelled old cars from the roaring thirties, forties, fifties and sixties would be dashing.

I played sos, the physics was not good but the nostalgia is awesome. I still have the game mafia here somewhere

I owned a good deal of american muscle, I would love to drive them in lfs like realism also . Imagine having them as your perfectly maintained old car... along with FZ350... (hell they dont even have to be originals, just let them behave like one)
Could you imagine these in the LFS engine?

from what game are those cars?
how about a dodger charger i thik thats the right name for them
GT Legends

Dan,
#10 - Jakg
Quote from BlakjeKaas :from what game are those cars?

im geussing GTL
#11 - axus
#12 - Vain
I'm also very interested in oldtimers and youngtimers.
Perhaps we can even get licensed cars here, because the licenses should be some orders of magnitude cheaper.
Hell, I'd love a Porsche 924 GTP .

Vain
Classic class would definately be a good addition. I think LFS engine would do the job pretty well, maybe even better than GTL is doing it now. LX4/6 already does good job with the "steer with gas" driving style.
#14 - Woz
Quote from ajp71 :It would take a lot of work to simulate cross-ply tires and vintage enignes, but vintage racing would be fantastic

Even more modern historics would have big problems, I have little confidence in LFS currently simulating race engines well.

So the open wheel cars and GTR spec cars run on road engines in LFS then rotf

Strange thing is I always thought same basic principle applied. Gas goes in, engine turns, car moves. A race tuned engine runs harder, has a short life span and is a pig to drive round town etc BUT it is still an engine. So as long as power curves etc are right then should simulate fine.
Id love this. You have no traction control, ABS etc and driving a old car. I would love to drive Blackwood or Aston Historic in a Dodgr Charger.
imo dodge chargers suck.
I would just love to see those older racing spec cars but I'm little worried would they actually differ from the current GTRs that much? I mean they GTRs we now have aren't exactly anything cutting edge technology

But still those cars make me want to drive them...in LFS
Older race cars should be more heavyer with less setup options and slippy tires

Well, seriously something big, heavy and americanish with V8 would be cool
Quote from Blackout :Well, seriously something big, heavy and americanish with V8 would be cool

Please devs, do this. Ill pay £50 for a license if you put big american muscle cars in the game.
Quote from Stellios :Please devs, do this. Ill pay £50 for a license if you put big american muscle cars in the game.

That £50 is not going to be enough.
True, if they put chargers etc in it would cost them a shedload in licensing costs.
The only car class in LFS I'm dreaming about is Trans Am' racing vehincles from 68 - 72 (there was supposed to be a game "Trans Am' 68-72" but was cancelled , .... bastards). Just look at them ....

... aren't they beatiful ? :lovies3d::bowdown::sleep1:
Attached images
transam1.jpg
transam2.jpg
transam3.jpg
042_lg.jpg
Quote from Woz :So the open wheel cars and GTR spec cars run on road engines in LFS then rotf

The FOX runs on a production block in a light racing tune, despite only producing 190 bhp from 8500 ish rpm it's highly stressed for a 2 litre road engine as it's built out of much lighter materials than a normal road enigne hence the much finer degree of accuracy. The GTR cars are again road engine blocks built up for racing purposes they may not have much in common with a road car but they are still using a low revving compromised road block. The FO8 would be powered by a Judd V8 IRL which is a racing engine, unlike the others this engine is designed for racing for starters it's a stressed component (the enigne takes the load of the car) it's built with very low tolerances to cut the weight to an absolute minimum and depending on the budget (and regs regarding engine changing) only built to last several fast runs before a full rebuild).

The Judd V8 is relatively unstressed and low revving as it is usually fitted in single make series and for hillclimbing where budgets are either smaller or can be cut without hindering the competition. True highly stressed racing engines are a rare thing now (seen in F1 only really) with the number of single make championships and increases in the quality of production engines more big production engines are being fitted for racing such as the Renault V6.

Anyone who tells me that just because LFS can simulate a Zetec it can simulate a BDA without a lot of physics being rewritten has little clue what they're talking about. I'd be happy to be proved wrong so if anyone can produce proper racing engines through LFS Tweak I'd be happy to hear from you
Quote from danowat :Could you imagine these in the LFS engine?

I'd rather not seeing as the Capris were famed for having so much power that they bent the bodyshells over the course of endurance races they wouldn't fit into the LFS no structural stiffness simulation. Just like the farce that is the infinatley stiff open top Minis.
Quote from zoxxy :
Since it's still a common junior racecar, it runs on modern tyres so that wouldn't be a problem.

Those are modern period racing tires which are constructed in the traditional design using modern materials, very definatley not modern tires (or period tires for that matter).

Historic Class?
(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG