The online racing simulator
Master Server Moved [in January]
(115 posts, closed, started )
Hello Racers.

Most forum readers already know about this but I'd like to state it in a new thread, now that we have got past yesterday's confusion.

The long version :

The master server has moved home. It was previously located on a "small business" type of internet connection. Now we have moved it to one of our real web servers. Although it was mainly reliable before, this should provide even better reliability because there are backup generators in the event of a power failure and we won't need to reboot the cable modem, router and server occasionally.

If you have patch U30 or V you shouldn't need to do anything because the new versions use a DNS lookup to find the master (master.liveforspeed.net). However, DNS lookups are done at your local ISP and these can take time to update across the globe. Most of them are already updated now as it's 24 hours since we changed the DNS. That means you should see the correct master server when you click on "List of Games".

The "old" master is still running temporarily during this switchover period but now has less hosts listed (mainly old "U" versions and a few "V" versions whose ISPs are slow to update their DNS). The statistics system is disabled on the old master.

If you don't see the new master's list of games, and you only see the old master server, with a smaller list of games that doesn't match what you can see at LFS World, then don't worry, your DNS will soon be updated. But if your ISP is delayed and you absolutely must get on the new one in a hurry, you can edit your "hosts" file in Windows (a sort of fake DNS system on your computer) adding the line :

213.40.196.103 master.liveforspeed.net

If you have a version earlier than U30, your version is no longer supported and you really must upgrade to V.

The short version :

If you have U30 or V, that's fine.
If you have S, T, U or U20, it's time to upgrade!
Just to avoid confusion...
Quote from Scawen :
If you don't see the new master's list of games, and you only see the old master server, with a smaller list of games that doesn't match what you can see at LFS World, then don't worry, your DNS will soon be updated. But if your ISP is delayed and you absolutely must get on the new one in a hurry, you can edit your "hosts" file in Windows (a sort of fake DNS system on your computer) adding the line :

213.40.196.103 master.liveforspeed.net

Quote from Bean0 :The hosts file tells your PC what IPs are what without doing a DNS lookup. Normally the only entry is for 127.0.0.1 which is 'home'.
If you're on XP, it will be found in <windows folder>/system32/drivers/etc/
Open in notepad and add the line stated above.

Is that why a lot of servers are down? I usually get a choice of around 500-ish, now I'm only getting 300 or so.
Quote from Blaeza :Is that why a lot of servers are down? I usually get a choice of around 500-ish, now I'm only getting 300 or so.

Yes. A lot of them are still connecting to the old master server, either because they are obsolete (version U) or their ISP has not yet updated their DNS. All the V hosts will end up on the new master soon.
can i use older version of dedicated server? will it works?
e.g. version Q and U

thx for reply
Old versions still work now, because the old master is still running for a few days. But after the weekend I will shut it down and old versions will not work any more.
#7 - garph
Quote from Scawen :...there are backup generators in the event of a power failure and we won't need to reboot the cable modem, router and server occasionally.

Cool! Emergency power Captain!

#8 - Gunn
Note: The statistics system is disabled on the old master.

#9 - Renku
Quote from Scawen :Old versions still work now, because the old master is still running for a few days. But after the weekend I will shut it down and old versions will not work any more.

Does this includes S1 0.3H too? No ONLINE races with the LFS S1 0.3H anymore?
It should be very clear what I am saying, but I'll say it again just in case :

Versions older than S2 0.5U30 will not work fully, very soon. It's as simple as that, and there are no exceptions.

No unlocking, no online racing. They will still work online in demo mode which does allow direct connection by host IP address.
This is because the old versions relied on a fixed IP master. The new versions use a DNS lookup so the master server can move.
As said it should be more reliable,
but what about the performance of it all.

i can see the new master server list but
still see 90% of the games as 4000+ ping!

i can only join 1 or 2 and even though the others only have 3-4 racers in,
its still massive ping and unplayable on them.
Ping between you and the hosts has absolutely nothing to do with the master server. Master gives you a list of hosts then your computer pings them, after disconnecting from the master. Your connection is probably just having some difficulty today.
Quote from Scawen :
The short version :

A big thank you for the "non-nerdy" version
How can I connect with S1 0.3H today? I added 82.44.126.169 master.liveforspeed.net to the hosts file, restarted the PC and nothing.

Edit: It started to work suddenly!
Sorry - my fault, I had the old master down for 20 mins by mistake. It was supposed to be only a couple of minutes but I forgot it.
Quote from Scawen :Old versions still work now, because the old master is still running for a few days. But after the weekend I will shut it down and old versions will not work any more.

Sry for spam: :cry: no more 0,3H racing... :'( /sry for spam
server
cool im happy all is fix up and run thx lfs team for quick action and lot of info on forum. thx agane Marek
Is it down again?

I accessed fine at about 4pm but at 5-ish I got no reply from the master server.

I can ping/tracert it fine but LFS just won't find it.

My ISP is Tiscali UK.

Help? Please?
I have the S2 V-version but there is no way to go online.
Before the server is changed the runs verry fine.
what can i do?
#20 - Jakg
working fine here...
Are there any other ways to join a game?
Quote :...there are backup generators in the event of a power failure...

OH HELLS YEA!

"Scotty we need more power!"
"Ay Captn', starting emergency power supplies!"
Looks like I'm not the only one having this problem. AtomAnt just told me the number of servers up has dropped too?
#24 - SamH
Telewobble have barfed this evening (good move, away from Blueyonder, Scawen.. excellent timing ) and I'm getting at most 12KB/s downloads from any/everywhere. Not very good, considering I'm on 10mbit. I'm unable to play at the moment, so you're stuck with me on the forums instead
Oh no. I best find something else to do.
This thread is closed

(115 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG