The online racing simulator
OWRL announces 2007 Calendar including F1 League
The Open Wheel Racing League will have two exciting competitions throughout 2007. Our division system remains intact, but will now remain using the FO8 in division A and the FOX in division B for the full year, starting in February. New is the F1 leagu, a high-speed 12-races long competition in F1 style.

OWRL F1
10 teams, 20 drivers, F1 cars, rules and action. How does that sound? The OWRL offers LFS drivers the chance to participate in it's new F1 League. 12 saturday evening races, starting in April and not ending before October. Each team appoints a team manager who is responsible for appointing two drivers (which may include himself) and for the communication with the OWRL Admins. Teams may change their drivers during the season but are expected to remain entering each race of the season. The driver championship and the team championship will be awarded to the driver and team respectively with the most points at the end of the season.

OWRL F1 starts saturday April, 7th. Teams will be required to apply for a spot in the leagues a few weeks before the first race. If more than 10 applications are received, the OWRL admins will decide which teams will be allowed to enter. More details and the full calendar will be announced in February on www.owrl.de

Div A & Div B
First however, the Formula V8 & Formula XR leagues in the OWRL will start on February, 3rd. Our division systems remains the same as in previous seasons. Division A will feature 20 pre-qualified drivers and uses the FO8. Division B is open for everyone and will race with the Formula XR.

In 2007 four seasons will be organised, each consisting of four races. After each season, the top 7 drivers in Div B will be allowed to move up to Div A. New drivers will always start in Div B, but using this system they can quickly move up to Div A - if they're fast enough!

Compared to the 2006 seasons, the only change in the rules will be the Div A point system. This will now start at 25 for the winner and points will be awarded up to P15. For Div B, the sprint/main system with top 8 reverse starting grid for the main race remains in place.

The OWRL calendar for 2007
Div A / B - S2 Season 7
1. 03-02 Aston National
2. 17-02 South City Town (Div A) / Classic (Div B )
3. 03-03 Kyoto GP Long
4. 17-03 Westhill

Div A / B - S2 Season 8
1. 31-03 Blackwood rev
2. 14-04 Kyoto National
3. 28-04 Fern Bay Gold
4. 12-05 Aston GP

OWRL F1:
Calendar to be announced, first race 07-04

Div A / B - S2 Season 9 & 10
Calendar to be announced, races are from September onwards.

OWRL
The Open Wheel Racing League is dedicated to bring the best open wheel racing in Live For Speed. The league, organised by drivers of the pod team, has run for over two years. The OWRL not only caters for the fastest drivers, but also for any LFS S2 licensed racer who can race fair. All races are on saturday evening. More information and the upcoming events at www.owrl.de

[/FONT]
Hi Krutch, I think you run a great league but I do have a couple of suggestions.

I think there is a pretty major flaw in the points system in Div B. Although I support the concept of reversing the first 8 drivers' grid positions for the feature race, it needs to be fairly implemented. As the second race awards twice as many points as the first race, it is currently, in my opinion, very unfair on the drivers who place well in the first race. If there are several quick drivers it will certainly be an advantage to finish lower down on purpose in the first race, dropping half as many points in the first race as you will potentially pick up for this in the second race. The only fair way to implement this reversed grid system, would be to award at least as many points per position in the first race as in the second one.

Also, regarding the F1 championship, "Both the driver championship and the team championship will be awarded to the team with the most points at the end of the season." This seems completely bizarre to me I must say. What if the highest scoring driver in the winning team only got half as many points as a driver from another team who had participated in all the events? Surely the drivers' championship should be for drivers and the team championship for teams.

Thanks, Josh
Just a suggestion.

Rename F1 division A+ or something, you might get sued by Bernie
Quote from joshdifabio :Hi Krutch, I think you run a great league but I do have a couple of suggestions.

I think there is a pretty major flaw in the points system in Div B. Although I support the concept of reversing the first 8 drivers' grid positions for the feature race, it needs to be fairly implemented. As the second race awards twice as many points as the first race, it is currently, in my opinion, very unfair on the drivers who place well in the first race.

Also, regarding the F1 championship, "Both the driver championship and the team championship will be awarded to the team with the most points at the end of the season."

Hi Josh, thanks for your comments. We did evaluate our system with reversed grids and found out that for the real fast racers, the main race was long enough to come up from P8 on the starting grid to one of the top positions. I'd find it unfair if a longer race (which simply requires more race craft than a sprint race) had the same amount of points.

On your second point, that was not what I wanted to write. My bad, sorry for the confusion!
Quote from Krutch :Hi Josh, thanks for your comments. We did evaluate our system with reversed grids and found out that for the real fast racers, the main race was long enough to come up from P8 on the starting grid to one of the top positions. I'd find it unfair if a longer race (which simply requires more race craft than a sprint race) had the same amount of points.

I really think you should take another look at that. I don't think you will find a single real life event that reverses grids and then awards MORE points in the second race. That's because it really isn't fair in a sporting sense.

Maybe two races of equal length would be better with the same number of points awarded in either race.

Misan showed last season that a fast driver starting 8th can work his way up quite well, but if you have another quick driver who has a bad first race and starts high up in the second one, he is likely to get more points overall than another driver who performs faultlessly.

Also what about two evenly matched drivers. Driver A qualifies higher than driver B, finishes the sprint race ahead, and then driver A has to start behind in the feature race and despite being the slightly better driver, gets less points than driver A.

It really isn't fair at all, think of it like this: if you are 2nd in the sprint race near the end, you could drop 3 positions on purpose costing you x points in the spring race, but potentially gaining you 2x points in the feature race.

I don't want to sound like an arse, however I really believe the current points system is completely illogical.
Quote :I really think you should take another look at that. I don't think you will find a single real life event that reverses grids and then awards MORE points in the second race. That's because it really isn't fair in a sporting sense.

I wouldn't know of any racing series that have this reversed grid and longer main races. That's the difference here. Points should be mainly awarded according to what one can do in the race, not on who is merely the fastest in one lap. That's why we reward more points in longer races. And with the car we use for this overtaking is possible. It's all about race craft.

I appreciate you take the time to write down your thoughts on this, I really do! We just have a slightly different idea of what should be rewarded the most in the race.

What I find more problematic with the reversed system is that the gap between finishing 8th and 9th in the sprint makes such a big difference, but not much can be done to change that.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG