The online racing simulator
Mute players individually
(25 posts, started )
#1 - bbman
As there was that much positive resonance in the general discussion forum, here the thread in the right place...

You may all know the problem, somebody is spamming the server with senseless messages or advertising for his "top-notch" clan...

It would be REALLY cool, if you could "mute" this player individually, because other players may say something, that would interest you, but you couldn't read it because this spammer annoyed you that much, you blocked the messages...

I don't know if there's something like a player list... If one is in LfS, klicking on a name there (or a symbol next to it) would cause blocking the messages from this player, and still enabling you to read, what the other racers say to you... Or the way of a command line, typed into the chat... Like /mute <playername>

I think, this would be a real good improvement, i would be glad to see it implemented in upcoming updates...
This is a great idea, and the button for it could easily be added to the connections list that already has the buttons for sending your setup and stuff.

Maybe the server admin should also have the option to "gag" a spammer so no-one receives his messages?
I seem to remember using a similar option in CounterStrike/Day of Defeat a while back. Useful to silence idiots while letting useful messages through.
#4 - AndyC
Yup, nice idea, so you can still talk to your mates whilst not having to listen to the argument over who caused the crash.

And ye, cs:s does have that (only for mics tho?) can't remember how to do it tho, must check because those foreign coversations can be crazy!

Andy.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#5 - AndyC
Quote from thisnameistaken :As I remember... Bring up the scores with TAB, right-click and you get a cursor, then click on the speaker icon alongside the irritant's name.

Personally I just turn voice off in all games. If I wanted a conversation I'd go to the pub.

A rite ! Ye i have a headset with a mic but never use it, don't think anyone would understand scoue anyway. Its helpful when others say like 'he's on the left'.

But like you i'd rather go the pub for a chat.

Andy.
Yes, an EXCELLENT IDEA.. if it not hard to do, i would very mutch appreciate this to be in the next patch, or later..
+1 for this idea, i am bringing it up again because i had some trouble today with people doing childish jokes and annoying racers. The only way currently to shut them up is with a ban, but they are clean racers who seem to have just had too much sugar today or something.

Anyway and individual button on the connection list to block messages from certain players would be very useful.
#8 - joen
+2

Another (additional) solution would be some sort of automatic anti-flooding protection.
Nice one, far more useful than private talking, just cut out the crap.
I like it!

How about a "vote to gag" option too?
+ more
Only if it pops up saying "wheel4hummer told you to STFU, and he just muted you!"
<<< mutes sys messages... !

imagine a busy server and everyone pits one time after another, syslog spamming
I wouldn't like that, because I'd actually have to talk with my racing, because I sure as hell would get muted everywhere.
+1
+1 Very nice idea.
good idea!!!

and (think this doesn't need a new thread) it would also be good to only block the "event-" (or how do you call them?) messages.
atm you can only block messages(with "-" ) or all messages (shift+ "-" ).
but i'm interested what people are chatting and really not (always) want to know when:
blabla pitted, left the pits, skin not found, got a Drive Through, Stop and go, pitted.... or is there a option i dont know about?
I think it should work in the same way as kick/ban voting. Otherwise people will abuse it, and have an anti spam mute that mutes a player for 5 minutes if they flood the chat.
Great idea, +1
Something like on aim.
You get the little box underneath the send button, with green, yellow, and red chat bars. If you get into the red, you cannot talk for 5 minutes.
Everytime you chat, the green goes down a bar or 2, something like that.
http://img224.imageshack.us/im ... /somethinglikethishl0.png

(Obviously with less green bars, just an example I stole off AIM)
Quote from Skyline_Drifter_ :Something like on aim.
You get the little box underneath the send button, with green, yellow, and red chat bars. If you get into the red, you cannot talk for 5 minutes.
Everytime you chat, the green goes down a bar or 2, something like that.
http://img224.imageshack.us/im ... /somethinglikethishl0.png

(Obviously with less green bars, just an example I stole off AIM)

This is no good, and there is already spam protection in LFS.
What LFS have you been playing?

People can do non stop binds, not super fast but they can do them and infinite number of times in a row.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :What LFS have you been playing?

People can do non stop binds, not super fast but they can do them and infinite number of times in a row.

what is a "non stop bind?"
Quote from SmirkySmoke :good idea!!!

and (think this doesn't need a new thread) it would also be good to only block the "event-" (or how do you call them?) messages.
atm you can only block messages(with "-" ) or all messages (shift+ "-" ).
but i'm interested what people are chatting and really not (always) want to know when:
blabla pitted, left the pits, skin not found, got a Drive Through, Stop and go, pitted.... or is there a option i dont know about?

Exactly. We're talking about a racing simulator and I doubt that racers are informed of these events IRL. I think the only exception should be votes and setup sending messages.
I mean pressing say F5 and their message pops up like 'LOL I CRASHED INNIT' but they press it about 50 times and it fills the entire chat box. They can press it forever and LFS won't stop them.

(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG