The online racing simulator
Add server to favourites
(68 posts, started )
Add server to favourites
I was just thinking it might be a good idea to to an addition where by you can add certain servers to you "favourites" so you can find them easily.

Sometimes I find myself having to trawl through hundreds of servers trying to find the one I am looking for .

Dan.
Yes, plz!
#3 - Lible
Old idea... but you can right now Join Specific Server or somthing. Write these names down something like ^7Lible`s ^2Server
Quote from Lible :Old idea... but you can right now Join Specific Server or somthing. Write these names down something like ^7Lible`s ^2Server

but if you had a list of favourites then you wouldnt need to

this would be a great idea and would be good if it could be done.
#5 - ev0
GUI - "favourites" multiplayer option
Something I would like to see implemented is a "favourites" option to accompany the "list games" and "join specific" options. Most people would probably play on the same servers repeatedly. Currently, if you want to jump from one favourite server to another, you need to list all the servers (or stop listing them when the server you are looking for is listed)

If there was a favourites option, you could add your choice of servers to the list of favourites, and only have to refresh those servers, thereby reducing the time spent waiting for the entire list to update before you can choose the server you want to join.

I suspect that this would probably reduce load on the master server as well.
#6 - wark
LFS is one of the only <s>games</s> (;P) sims that doesn't have this feature. +1
It doesn't bother me much to list the 20 servers that have people on them when I'm looking for a race. I go where there are people, not just to a specific server. If my favorite server doesn't have anyone racing there, then I'm not going to bother with it because I'm not a hotlapper.

What I'd like is some kind of filter to filter all the different type of servers, drift, city, autocross, race, etc. And filter out anything over a certain ping. It drives me crazy looking for a server with people racing and going down the list... drift, drift, city, drift, carpark, drift, ah, here's one racing.... LAG.... Dang, it's a 300 ms ping! drift, drift, drag, city......
I'm with Mike ^ :up: I don't race regularly enough to have favourite servers but I do only join race servers (unless I've had a few, then I feel like bashing things in the carpark), so a filter like that would be cool (of course, server admins would have to label their servers but I don't think that would be a big deal).

For regulars though, a favourites list sounds quite useful! Then they wouldn't have to scroll through a big list to find the specific one they want. +1 for both I guess
I would like to have a favourite servers list, mainly to aid myself in finding all the UKCT servers+STCC servers. It'd be even neater if it was stored LFSW side, instead of client side.

+1
#10 - Woz
For me the far more vital one is select countries/regions that you want servers from. I would like to be able to just ping servers in AU and NZ so I know I can get a good ping
+1 of course but the method of creating a persistent link into some server might be a problem. Should the the favourite link be based on the server name, or maybe the IP address of the server? From what I know the servers don't have individual codes or signatures to identify them so it may be hard to keep the favourites' links working.
+1 for favourite servers list
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, there SHOULD be a way to save your favourite servers in a list, so +1
#14 - wabz
There's always Browse For Speed, an external server browser which lets you add favourites, and friends (shows which are online). One of its advantages is not having to load LFS just to see if there's a server you want to join. And it's open source, so you can add features you want yourself (or just ask)!
+1

but yeh.. I use Browse for Speed till then

Not because it isn't a good idea, but IMHO this stuff should be left to external add-ons. Browse For Speed does a nice job, and Mates@Track does something similar, IIRC. In this way, the various wishes can be realized faster than if it would be somewhere on Scawen's list.

However, the integration isn't perfect: when you want to connect to a certain host, BFS needs to start LFS anew. There is no way to make LFS connect to a host when it's already running.
Quote from wsinda :-1

Not because it isn't a good idea, but IMHO this stuff should be left to external add-ons. Browse For Speed does a nice job, and Mates@Track does something similar, IIRC. In this way, the various wishes can be realized faster than if it would be somewhere on Scawen's list.

However, the integration isn't perfect: when you want to connect to a certain host, BFS needs to start LFS anew. There is no way to make LFS connect to a host when it's already running.

I am sorry, but thats total BS, just because there is a third party, external app to do something that should already be in the sim, there is no reason not to put it in the sim.
Quote from wabz :There's always Browse For Speed, an external server browser which lets you add favourites, and friends (shows which are online). One of its advantages is not having to load LFS just to see if there's a server you want to join. And it's open source, so you can add features you want yourself (or just ask)!

I like BrowseForSpeed, but there is a drawback compared with the LFS's screen.
When I click on the question mark on the LFS multiplayer screen, I can see who is in the server, what car he drives, if there is a race or qualifying in progress and in which lap each racer is.

Are these info available from BrowseForSpeed?
If not will they implemented or is it impossible (not provided by pubstats)?
Please illuminate this topic a little.
#19 - wabz
Quote from KMSpeed :When I click on the question mark on the LFS multiplayer screen, I can see who is in the server, what car he drives, if there is a race or qualifying in progress and in which lap each racer is.

Are these info available from BrowseForSpeed?
If not will they implemented or is it impossible (not provided by pubstats)?
Please illuminate this topic a little.

Yeah, I agree, that is useful information. Most of the information BFS gets isn't from pubstats, it's directly from the server or master server. Some queries require a valid username and password, the query to get that information is one of those. BFS is a 3rd party application and I don't think it's acceptable to ask a user to enter their game username and password, whether it's optional or not. That info isn't available from pubstats either unfortunately.

The best solution here probably is to implement this stuff in the in-game browser, or completely document and open the server querying protocol (what other game _requires_ a valid user/pass to query individual servers?). Or I could just hardcode my user/pass (the password sent is a form of crc32 of it, not the actual text) and hope the devs don't get angry
Thanks a lot for the quick reply wabz

It seems that it isn't an easy task to do, but it's not impossible either.
Let's hope for the best then.
Thank you, and keep up the good work
#21 - CSU1
Quote from Woz :For me the far more vital one is select countries/regions that you want servers from. I would like to be able to just ping servers in AU and NZ so I know I can get a good ping

+ 1:

somethin like this: A map of the world for the servers list where you could see all the servers in their locations with ping info alongside the name
Quote from danowat :I am sorry, but thats total BS

Thank you for the constructive remark.
Quote :just because there is a third party, external app to do something that should already be in the sim, there is no reason not to put it in the sim.

Yes, there is a reason: it takes time to make it, so other features will be postponed or even cancelled. I'd much rather that Scawen 'opens up' LFS so it interacts nicely with add-on apps, and concentrates on core features.
Hmmm I don't give a damn on which server I'm racing actually The car filters and track sorting features do the work just fine for me!

I would rather see the LFS World "Live alert" / "Buddies list" integrated in the LFS Main menu, with a direct join option next to it...
#24 - Dru
Saveable Favourite servers??
Had a quick look and could not find anything on this subject so i'll ask the question

Has there ever been discussion about making it possible to save a list of your favourite servers and can search through them at a glance to see which ones they are racing similar to a favourites page that you have on games such as counter strike, red orchestra etc etc???
hmm, either im stupid or u didnt make clear what u mean.
anyway, i dont get it

Add server to favourites
(68 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG