The online racing simulator
Diesel car
(208 posts, started )
Diesel car
I am a self confessed diesel advocate, I drive them for a number of reasons, the biggest being the huge smile that a great slap of 350nm of torque can give you.

It is widely known that sporty diesel varients can now compete, and even exceed the performance of an equivelent petrol car, infact, self-confessed diesel hater Jeremy Clarkson even says so LOL, so it must be true .

So, my suggestion is that the devs either "fit" a sporty turbo diesel to one of the existing cars, maybe an XF TDi?, or make a new model.

Not only would they be able to keep up with an equivelent petrol car, they would use less fuel, could make for some interesting "economy" races .

Dan.
And while you're at it, add some hybrid cars too.
Quote from AndroidXP :And while you're at it, add some hybrid cars too.

Not sure if thats a stab at sarcasm or not .

While hybrids would be good, I do enjoy driving the Prius in GT4, they are not at the proliferation in the car world that diesel cars are at, in fact in the Uk, diesel production cars are now outselling petrol cars....

Dan.
#4 - AndyC
Sorry but diesels are not to my liking with the main reason being they sound bloody awful.

Andy.
Quote from AndyC :Sorry but diesels are not to my liking with the main reason being they sound bloody awful.

Andy.

A pedantic person would say the petrol engines in LFS don't sound to hot....., but thats not the point.

I knew as I was posting it the idea would get shot down in flames by the petrol-head brigade LOL .

Dan.
ya just think a diesel would be cool...but the smoke, hey that could be used in race strategy just get infront and cloud everyone up in a black haze ;-)
Quote from cmckowen :ya just think a diesel would be cool...but the smoke, hey that could be used in race strategy just get infront and cloud everyone up in a black haze ;-)

Ahh, the good ol' diesel stereotypes, diesel engines have come a LONG way in the last 3 or so years.
They no long produce anymore exhaust smoke than petrol engined car, plus they no longer sound like tractors......

Come on devs, surely it wouldnt be too hard to "tweak" the XF to make it have a diesel engine?.

Dan.
i dont know about diesel but perhaps the UF1 can be turned into electric just have a big slot underneath for where the AA battery slots in
Hey man i hear u, just yankin ure chain.No it would be good for a diesel in the game. There so many different classes now would be nice to have a diesel version of some.Like u say it cant be too hard.
Quote from cmckowen :Hey man i hear u, just yankin ure chain.No it would be good for a diesel in the game. There so many different classes now would be nice to have a diesel version of some.Like u say it cant be too hard.

I know, maybe I need to litter my posts with smillies? LOL.
I knew I would be seriously outnumbered, as diesel engines still are'nt "cool" and they have some pretty hefty stereotypes to break, anyone is welcome to come a drive my car, I reckon it would take about 10 mins for those stereotypes to be but a distant memory .
Heck, in this country I couldn't imagine driving anything else, with fuel prices at nearly £1.00 a litre, a 55mpg fuel consumption is a pretty big deal

Dan.
ya true hey its an a$$ raping in the UK, got a friend there wit a calibra and d@mn im glad i dnt pay for his petrol! Ya diesels have come a long way from the gravel bathing smokey pits :-) I havent driven a new diesel so i cant swak them. U get good torque steer in iure diesel?
Charles
Quote from cmckowen :U get good torque steer in iure diesel?
Charles

err.....that would be a HELL YES

Dan.
Quote from cmckowen :ya just think a diesel would be cool...but the smoke, hey that could be used in race strategy just get infront and cloud everyone up in a black haze ;-)

hasnt anyone seen the honda ad??
oh yes!
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from Madman_CZ :hasnt anyone seen the honda ad??

No?? what did we miss?
oh if its the Accord add yes i saw that one...very clever.The Accord is a sexy beast!
-
Quote from thisnameistaken :Nah he's talking about the Honda ad with the noisy, dirty diesel engine that transforms into a shiny, clean, flying diesel engine and makes all the animals happy.

Honda are fast becoming one of my all-time favourite organisations of all time. What with the "Cog" ad for the Accord and the crazy billions they burn in their robot development programme, who wouldn't have a soft spot for them? =D

indeed i am ..... good animation, clever add, finally a cleaner diesel

as for the robot development..... i must favour sony's QRIO robot.... just stunning!!!!!

mad

btw: accord add was great too.. heard it took something like 120 takes to make it work
-
back to the topic.... i aint a fan of diesels.. as mentioned above the cars are just way too noisy, the knocking drives me nuts...

most mornings i am frequently woken up my a diesel going past my window ..those BIG LARGE ford vans grrrrrr just drives you nuts when you are a light sleeper...:sleep2:

however a diesel in LFS could be interesting though as sounds are now it would probably wouldnt sound anything like a diesel and yest they would need to add that black stuff it leaves behind... a full grid of diesels smoking could prove interesting lol...

anyway just dont think it would be a feasible idea to add to lfs...

on the robot front....

think Asimo v Qrio would prove as an interesting contest though i have no doubt that Qrio would wipe the floor with Asimo.... Qrio would probably outlast it on battery power.. not to mention qrio's throwing ability.. would bombard asimo with rocks

dont forget that size doesnt matter!!!!!!

Quote from thisnameistaken :I thought it would only be weeks before Honda unleashed an army of them on an unsuspecting western world and they crushed the weakling humans into tiny little bits.

judgement day!!!!!!! :scared:

mad
Quote from danowat :It is widely known that sporty diesel varients can now compete, and even exceed the performance of an equivelent petrol car, infact, self-confessed diesel hater Jeremy Clarkson even says so LOL, so it must be true .

But what kind of petrol car do you compare with what kind of diesel? You compare for example a BMW 530d with a 530i. But thats not a right comparison. Because the diesel is turbocharged and the petrol car isn't. All the people who say that a diesel is as fast as a petrol car forget about that fact.

Don't get me wrong - i love diesel, for example the 530d (i drove one of them many times) but they aren't as fast as comparable petrol cars

But i also would welcome a diesel in lfs.

greetz warper
ya theres no way u can just take a 3.0 petrol up against a 3.0 turbo diesel. Its unfair, just look at the torque and thats frightening
Quote from Warper :But what kind of petrol car do you compare with what kind of diesel? You compare for example a BMW 530d with a 530i. But thats not a right comparison. Because the diesel is turbocharged and the petrol car isn't. All the people who say that a diesel is as fast as a petrol car forget about that fact.

Don't get me wrong - i love diesel, for example the 530d (i drove one of them many times) but they aren't as fast as comparable petrol cars

But i also would welcome a diesel in lfs.

greetz warper

Yeah, I know that, its the same arguement all petrolheads use .

Fact of it is, a similarly sized diesel engine MUST be turbocharged to reach an equivelent power output of the same sized petrol engine.
Diesel engines just do not produce ANY "power" (read horsepower) unless they have forced induction, they just dont breath very well.
Plus with diesel engines you dont get all the adverese effects of turbo-charging you do with petrol, i.e. massively increased fuel consumption and noticably turbo lag.

Dan.
Ok, how about this for a comparison, you say its unfair to compare like for like engine size due to the turbo fitted to diesel.

Ford Mondeo ST220, 3.0lt V6, 226bhp, 280nm, 155mph, 0-60 7.6secs, 30-60 11.3 secs
£24,300

Ford Mondeo ST TDCi, 2.2lt Straight 4, 155bhp, 400nm, 140mph, 0-60 8.7secs, 30-60 11 secs
£22,600

So, not only is the diesel almost a whopping £2000 cheaper, it will be cheaper to run, insure, ok, so its top speed is a little down, but 140mph is quick enough for anyone outside of Germany, it loses a second on 0-60, but the V6 has 70bhp and nearly a whole litre of displacement more, but the important figure is to 30-60, this is where the increased torque shows, in ingear acceleration tests the diesel would kill the V6.

Is that a bit more of a fair comparison?

Dan.
Ya shot dan i was actually lookin for a good comparison...that shows it perfectly.Ya the amount of torque from a diesel is disgustin!
Ya put those two on the high way just cruisin and tell them to go....hey Mr petrol just say cheers now to the diesel and see him later when u get ure top speed
mmmm 400nm, of torque

What sort of RPM does the Mondeo TDCi get? I'm only use to clunky, smelly, oily 4x4 diesel engines that have bugger all breath after 4000rpm
The only Diesel i could see fiting into LFS is if they added a LMP Prototype-esque type car..but I have a feeling they will stick to fuel.

Diesel car
(208 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG