The online racing simulator
LfS Spectator 2.02 for S2 released
(68 posts, started )
Hi everyone,

here -> http://www.triso.de/download/LfS_Spectator_2_02.zip you can get an S2 ready version of the LfS Spectator.

Changes include a new "look", smoother car movement, ability to set a frame rate (for low cpu usage or smooth graphics) and zoom out to fully visible track.

The download includes the .smx files for all tracks. As usual, please read the readme.txt before posting questions

Expect a minor update in a few weeks, when suggestions made in this forum can be realised.

Edit: for best visual quality (font) use fsaa for OpenGL
Cool! I'll try this later, but sounds great to me. I never actually used the original version, but I heard good things about it
Weee!
Tried it

It's great. Watching an oval race atm.

My suggestions.
1. I would like to turn off the chat and race time overlays. Is this possible?

2. Everything is in german. How about language text files so we can have English, French, Spanish...... versions, like LFS does?
Wow great!!!! Lots of fun to use

This should be stickied (I hope league races will let the public use this) Good job.

EDIT: There is a bug I just had when switching between servers. The player you are focused on in the first server is carried over when joining a new server. If you know what I mean...
Maybe a little guide to explain how the thing works to. For many (including me) I haven't used previous versions of LFS spectator so am slightly confused to it's purpose and how to use it. I'm still struggling with LFS stats and thats supposed to be really easy :banghead:
ok, here's a small guide:

LfS Spectator lets you watch races without beeing on the actual server. You can see where people are and what they do on an upside down view of the track.

To watch the races on a certain server, this server must be registered in Victors relay server, so that the server data can be transmitted. In case you want your own Server to be watchable, you can do this here: http://www.lfsworld.net/?win=hosts&whichTab=insim_relay

Now, when you started the LfS Spectator, just click "Get Server List" to receive a list of the available servers, including the number of drivers on that server. Just select one and click "Spectate" - done.
Pretty simple thanks for the heads up.
Many thanks - excellent work!

Here's a skin I threw together for this with a slightly more LFS look to it.
Just unzip it in your LFS spectator installation folder.
Attached images
preview_DropShadowDiseaseV1.jpg
Attached files
DropShadowDiseaseV1.zip - 36.6 KB - 670 views
cool!
Great work! LuckyL, I love this tool

Here goes a suggestion:

The messages and playerlist boxes are too big IMHO, when I maximize the window they take a lot of sapce, could yo make them fixed size?
Quote from Eldanor :Great work! LuckyL, I love this tool

Here goes a suggestion:

The messages and playerlist boxes are too big IMHO, when I maximize the window they take a lot of sapce, could yo make them fixed size?

I agree, they are very big and take a lot of space over what you are trying to see. The only way to 'kind of' avoid them it so zoom out (with keypad +/-)... but they are still in the way.

They need to be smaller, and we need to have the option to hide/show them I think. OR have the full window with the map and stuff, but have a right/left-side pane that is part of the program but not overlapping the window. Kind of like when you press CTRL+H in your browser to bring up the left-side History panel. Instead it would have all the statistics there and out of the way.
Quote from xaotik :Many thanks - excellent work!

Here's a skin I threw together for this with a slightly more LFS look to it.
Just unzip it in your LFS spectator installation folder.

I have used this on my version. Gets a big from me.
Fanastic stuff!!!!!! i agree with chatbox and player list.. but any other from that. Its brillant!
Very cool indeed! I am grateful it came out now, so I can follow my mates racing online. My pc died some weeks ago, so finally I can follow some racing again! Thanks!
It would be cool to click on a car and the camera follows the car you just clicked... Also, I miss some information on the servers dialogue... It would be fine if you could see, what track is being played at the moment on the server... And I couldn't see which type of car the players were driving (or maybe I'm just to stupid to see)...
Just a few noobish questions... ALL you need to do to get your server watchable is apply for inSim Relay on LFSW and thats it? No other configuring?

Is it possible to then use other inSim app on the server? IIRC there could be only one that connects via inSim but with relay I'm not sure.

Does it work with Demo servers as well or only S2? That is if demo servers can apply for relay at all.

thanks
Quote from Misko :Just a few noobish questions... ALL you need to do to get your server watchable is apply for inSim Relay on LFSW and thats it? No other configuring?

yep - you first request access to the InSim Relay setup page and then when you have access you enter the IP, InSim port nr. and the adminpass of your host. Of course you must make sure the port has been forwarded so the relay can connect to your host.

Quote from Misko :Is it possible to then use other inSim app on the server? IIRC there could be only one that connects via inSim but with relay I'm not sure.

It used to be the case and still is with current insim mods. However, it is now possible with a few modifications on the insim app's side, to connect to a host, with admin priviledges, via the relay. But the people who made those mods and who will make mods, need to provide the functionality for that to work.

Quote from Misko :Does it work with Demo servers as well or only S2? That is if demo servers can apply for relay at all.

it works for any host - even in lan mode I guess, as long as the relay can connect.
Bandwidth ?
Does it take any bandwidth from the server which is being spectated ?
Would it affect the players on ther server, if people spectates ?

Is the program getting its data from the masterserver ? Or ?
well yes, it does take some of the host's bandwidth. It varies a lot though depending on the activity on the host. I guess you should see it as one additional racer being connected.
The MCI packets are set at an interval of twice per second. With no activity, nothing is sent and with 17+ racers in-race, 6 MCI packets are sent per second (2 * 3). Additionally race-state packets are sent for splits, laptimes and messages etc, but those are all pretty tiny packets and only sent when needed.
Bug?
hmm not sure if the cars in the attached image are indeed UF1000 (they look more like xrg)?
Attached images
not_uf.jpg
yes, it's a bug.. thnx for poiting it out. will be gone next version
Quote from Victor :hmm not sure if the cars in the attached image are indeed UF1000 (they look more like xrg)?

What you talking about they are clearly uf1000s
Quote from Victor :hmm not sure if the cars in the attached image are indeed UF1000 (they look more like xrg)?

:hihi: UF1000 Coupé ???
#25 - Tomi
Great tool Lucky L

One question though : Does it support autocross layouts and if it does not, do you plan to add the layouts + penalties (when hitting a cone or tire) support in the future ?

I'm racing in a slalom championship and it would be a great tool for us

(68 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG