The online racing simulator
suggested LX's handeling improvment
the LX ( caterham,lotus 7,replicas) is one of the best handeling cars out there i myself think that the LX's are too slipery i think this would be a good improvment for the next patch or final version of S2
What would be a good improvment?
Just needs less understeer and it'll be perfect.
they slip out around turns too much because in real life these cars are amazing in every way...looks , performance , and deffinetly handeling..and i think the charecteristics in the game should reflect the real life handeling
Quote from tristancliffe :Just needs less understeer and it'll be perfect.

yea the understeer is realistic because in real life the weight balance(F/R) is more weight to the back i think and if the weight ration front to back is to the front in real life then they still understeer in real life
Slip out around turns too much? Are you sure. My LX's always feel planted (unless I'm a fool with my right foot. Or my left one come to that. Or my hands. In fact, if I drive it badly it'll spin lots).

Have you tried driving like in real life (i.e. further from the limit and will more considered inputs)?
Have you tried driving a real Caterham like you do in LFS (i.e. right on the limit ALL the time, and not caring if you crash)?
Also they are set up for more compliance for road use than the very unforgiving sets about in LFS.
I've noticed that if you drive them like a normal car in LFS it they understeer like hell. You need to generate some oversteer but not too much, just so that you can hear the scrubbing a bit and then handle it so it wont skid too much. Don't drive it like a heffalump
the handling is actually fairly spot on! Having built and driven one, they are very VERY dependent on how they're set up, especially suspension, tyre choices etc. Also all depends on engines, rear axle setups and so forth as to the weight distribution.

But i agree with Tristran, if you drive it like your driving a computer game, it'll bite you in the ass. If you consider that you're driving a car with a minimum cost (new) of about £12000 upwards, and you've put all the work into it, you'll find it a lot smoother.
I think the LXs are the best-handling cars in LfS as of now (and I consider them the best cars overall, because they are everything you can ever want from a car - but that is a different matter) and I've driven setups varying from "move the wheel a bit and watch your opponents approaching" to "why don't you turn even when I'm booting you"... So, a big "no-no" from me...
#11 - Woz
Quote from carmaniac1993 :they slip out around turns too much because in real life these cars are amazing in every way...looks , performance , and deffinetly handeling..and i think the charecteristics in the game should reflect the real life handeling

In a real lotus7 or replica you just about sit on the rear axle, this means you KNOW the instant you are about to loose grip. In LFS you sit on a chair and use FF, sound and visual queues to detect loss of grip.

These cars do understeer and then give snap over IRL, its just most sane people would never consider driving them like people do in LFS.
You often don't even realise how hard you're actually pushing the cars in LFS. Just try for once driving the cars a little slower than you would do normally, or imagine you could actually die if you have an accident. You'll quickly find out that the cars have grip to no end, if you actually drive them like you'd do in real life™.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#13 - Gunn
You see videos online where people really throw these little cars around quite agressively. I've never seen a setup in LFS that allows you to do that.
I found that the only way I can currently drive these cars is with some extra weight (a passenger). I like how these cars currently handle, they just need a good setup that is made for your driving style.
I would give up about any car in LFS for the LX8. I just went against a FO8 with the LX6 and the FO8 pulled away slightly faster on the straights and beat my arse in the corners. From what I see, 2 more Cylinders and some slicks would give the FO8 a opponent and me months of fun . I don't care what you say about the downforce of the FO8, the LX8 would be a good opponent car.
Imho, lfs has some real funkyness with the way tyre pressure relates to forces generated, causing sharp spikes when the pressure is up, temporarily overloading certain wheels - and it affects cars like the mrt and lx's the most. Run the lx6 with 11psi in the front (max grip) and then try with 20psi in the front, if anyone wants to see what I'm trying to talk about

The lx's are a lot easier to drive and just as quick with low power side locking on the dif - try 20/50 if you're struggling with it.
Imho, the LX4 can be thrown around pretty easily and effortlessly, drifting it around and driving a bit carelessly. The thing is, in those real life videos you see people doing the same, with a car that has slightly more power than the LX6.

I'm still saying that it is all down the "tires do not gain grip correctly". I'm not sure whether it is the differentials, suspension or the tyres what is causing it. Still, the LX6 feels very good with the current physics. Excellent would I say. Well, almost perfect

The LX4 is a the UF1 of the LXs
Afaik, JeffR, a common LFS player and advocate of the physics here in the forum, he had hoped to have the Caterham/LX be a bit better in performance with handling. His car was a bit more powerful than the LX4 I think, but he owned a Caterham, which is now sold for a ZO6.

You can infact see some of the Caterhams performing very well, but to be honest, I think those Caterhams have way better tires put on them.
Quote from Blowtus :Imho, lfs has some real funkyness with the way tyre pressure relates to forces generated, causing sharp spikes when the pressure is up, temporarily overloading certain wheels - and it affects cars like the mrt and lx's the most. Run the lx6 with 11psi in the front (max grip) and then try with 20psi in the front, if anyone wants to see what I'm trying to talk about

The lx's are a lot easier to drive and just as quick with low power side locking on the dif - try 20/50 if you're struggling with it.

Thanks I currently have the diff set at 40/80.
I played around with the tire pressure and found myself hating low tire pressures and high pressure just slid. I am currently running 22psi on the front and 20 on the rear which seems to be good for me.

I think I will make a backup of the current settings and tweak the suspension again. Kinda fun hitting the rumble strips and watch the one wheel move (just holding contace the whole time) without really feeling the FF of it.
I run 33/50 on the diff and 21 psi rear, 18 psi front on the LX4. Seems to keep it nice and responsive. Not the easiest settings for a beginner though.
I'm running about 60/40, 14 front 16 rear I think, and whilst it's not the most responsive beast anymore (but it's still near the top of the list) it's got a vast amount of grip. And I still can't make the damn tyres overheat!!!
Find a other setup perhaps?

I wish there would be a FIXED real life kind of setup at Servers hosting LX Races. It would represent those cars better, produces better Racing
Quote from Gunn :You see videos online where people really throw these little cars around quite agressively. I've never seen a setup in LFS that allows you to do that.

I think if you try them out on slicks like they have in the vids you saw, you'd have to throw them round quite aggressively too...
There is a thing to have. I have slicks on my car so why can't we have slicks on road cars in LFS too? Slickmod kinda sucks because it is very limited.
#24 - Jakg
Because Slicks aren't road legal?
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Because they would kill the idea of ROAD CARS? :uglyhamme

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG