The online racing simulator
Skinable advertisement boards
(22 posts, started )
#1 - Chaos
It would be good if some of the boards around the track would be skinable. It would be a great tool to attract sponsors to various leagues and cups...
You mean skinable by the server and on join you would download the jpg files? Like the motd in other games?
Quote from GeForz :You mean skinable by the server and on join you would download the jpg files? Like the motd in other games?

I'm sure he does. And it seems like a good idea.
#4 - Chaos
Quote from GeForz :You mean skinable by the server and on join you would download the jpg files? Like the motd in other games?

exactly, sorry that the 1st post is unclear...
#5 - Chaos
when we now have the trackside ads in .jpg (see http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=765314#post765314 ) what about using the same system that is used for downloading skins, to download the ads from LFSW?

btw. it's nice to see that the improvement suggestions made by LFS players are implemented... you just have to wait
No need, even more cost for the devs re. LFSW.
#7 - Bean0
Quote from duke_toaster :No need, even more cost for the devs re. LFSW.

It would have to be an option where the custom ads are served from the server itself rather than LFSWorld. Much like the custom adverts/splashes you used to see on CS servers running Mani Mod.
#8 - J@tko
Quote from Bean0 :It would have to be an option where the custom ads are served from the server itself rather than LFSWorld. Much like the custom adverts/splashes you used to see on CS servers running Mani Mod.

Yes - nice idea.

+1
Leagues, special races, teams, etc. could have special adverts per server. Would be great, though how much load time would it add to every server you entered? I suppose you could turn it off like you can skins, and only turn it on when you want, like for that special race or league server.

Hmmm...that would require that none of the custom pics for any of the 100's of different servers had the exact same name, or your local downloaded pics would be overwritten. It would also place a lot of load on the servers when people connect. So, in that case....

Now, if there was a way to allow downloading of a skin pack hosted on another server, like what some of the FPS games do with custom maps, then maybe that would be OK.
Quote from banshee56 :Leagues, special races, teams, etc. could have special adverts per server. Would be great, though how much load time would it add to every server you entered? I suppose you could turn it off like you can skins, and only turn it on when you want, like for that special race or league server.

Hmmm...that would require that none of the custom pics for any of the 100's of different servers had the exact same name, or your local downloaded pics would be overwritten. It would also place a lot of load on the servers when people connect. So, in that case....

Now, if there was a way to allow downloading of a skin pack hosted on another server, like what some of the FPS games do with custom maps, then maybe that would be OK.

well as for the same name stuff, do that using lfs world already, and it could use lfs world but there was a charge per server which if using for advertisin especcially is only fair and most people have a few servers they generally stick to, well i do so the download thing wouldnt be much of a problem
Or stuff like this

I don't see the need for it tbh, it'd be more costs for the devs, and how to filter out the inapropraiate stuff?
no i see what your saying but it would be nice for like the ctra servers to be able to have ukct and ctra banners and ones for stuff like the etm stuff and if there was a limit of 5 banner skins per server like 5 different pics it would help with space and that, but i can see what your saying about immature stuff and that would be worse if it was server hosted therefore harder to check than the skins are
Quote from james12s :no i see what your saying but it would be nice for like the ctra servers to be able to have ukct and ctra banners and ones for stuff like the etm stuff and if there was a limit of 5 banner skins per server like 5 different pics it would help with space and that, but i can see what your saying about immature stuff and that would be worse if it was server hosted therefore harder to check than the skins are

But why not have them on a client's machine? That way the banners appear how the racer wants them to, right?
what oyu mean im not saying run them from the server but when they download they come from the server instead of lfsw which would make moderating them harder and it would be so hard to moderate them ontop of everything else it isnt viable, it would be good if they could work but i dont think they would work tbh
Quote from james12s :what oyu mean im not saying run them from the server but when they download they come from the server instead of lfsw which would make moderating them harder and it would be so hard to moderate them ontop of everything else it isnt viable, it would be good if they could work but i dont think they would work tbh

I'm agreeing they wouldn't work, it'd be too much hassle
moderating the content of the ads? ain't it the same as with skins? (assuming ads-skins are on LFSW)

the files are the same size (some even smaller) than the skins and you don't have problems joining different servers and dowloading skins of people racing there (making it an option is obvious)... more load on LFSW... yes, the same like there were +5 people on the server you are joining...

yes, it would require some work to get it working right, not losing the default ones or the already downloaded ones... maybe the server owner could specify the filenames used for his ads-skins in the config file of the server and upload them to a special slot on LFSW...
Check out Test Patch Y16 in the Test Patch section. The ADs are converted to JPG format, so you can skin them if you have the experience...
I figured you could already skin the boards only that you can see them rather then anyone else. Just by editing the advertisment DDS.
Donno could be fun but its more Eye Candy then an Improvment.
-
(AstroBoy) DELETED by AstroBoy
Damn you Duke! :bannana_g

There are lot's of issues with being able to upload track skins to LFS World....more stuff to manage regarding who is a server owner, plus the added storage and bandwidth. Besides, if a car skin can only be 1024x1024, and some of the billboards in LFS are (relative to in game scale) much larger than the cars, I would think the quality limitations would make uploading to LFSW useless. I don't really see any good options for automated skin downloads for billboards. Downloadable packs for leagues/teams may be the only way to go for the quality we would all like to see.
Quote from Nitrous13270 :Check out Test Patch Y16 in the Test Patch section. The ADs are converted to JPG format, so you can skin them if you have the experience...

if you read the whole thread, you would know that I noticed (5th post)... the title of the thread and the first suggestion is a "bit" older (september 2005)...
Quote from banshee56 :Damn you Duke! :bannana_g

There are lot's of issues with being able to upload track skins to LFS World....more stuff to manage regarding who is a server owner, plus the added storage and bandwidth. Besides, if a car skin can only be 1024x1024, and some of the billboards in LFS are (relative to in game scale) much larger than the cars, I would think the quality limitations would make uploading to LFSW useless. I don't really see any good options for automated skin downloads for billboards. Downloadable packs for leagues/teams may be the only way to go for the quality we would all like to see.

no, LFSW does not need to know who is the owner of the server, only which skins are used... (as I suggested, server owner would write the names down in the server config file, LFSW would find the skin according to the filename)

added storage & bandwidth > ads skins are all 512x512, size about 200kb ... thus the maximum used space with ~750 licensed servers, ~30 ads files per server, is 4,5GB in server skins... compared to car skins> ~20.000 licensed drivers (my rough estimate and I guess there are more than this), 20 cars, 400kb each skin = 160GB

so 160GB vs 4,5GB... is 2,8% noticable? I don't think so...

(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG