The online racing simulator
#1 - Renku
Spinoff : White screen bug (Texture problem)
I used to replace only the LFS.exe with the test patces. What files should I replace to not get this again? Tried with patches U25 and U, I'm stuck with it now.

Edit: PC restart cured my problem

Edit#2:
Temporary fixes:
a) PC restart
b) Changing screen resolution in LFS to anything other (and then back to original)

Permanent fix (or until next time):
c) Re-installing graphic card drivers. Trying to find newer drivers is recommended, but newer isn't always better (additional research required).
Attached images
jama.jpg
Just had a weird graphical glitch, never seen this before, probably not U27 related but thought I'd post it here. If it is indeed unrelated I'll move it to bug reports. I tried searching recent posts and didn't find anything but then I'm not to sure any two people would describe this the same. Anyway, admire:

(it didn't crash but FPS dropped like hell, this just started all of a sudden upon playing a replay)
Attached images
funky1.jpg
funky2.jpg
Quote :Just had a weird graphical glitch, never seen this before, probably not U27 related

It's unrelated, because I tend to get this alot. But I think it's because I got into the habit of minimising LFS the Alt-tab way, naughty me- and switch back and forth... and after a few rounds of that my LFS would suddenly go all 'Tron'. :davosmili Alt-tab is bad, mmkay??

A reset does the trick.
Whitescreen/untextured 3d bug

Quote from Bob Smith :Just had a weird graphical glitch, never seen this before, probably not U27 related

Quote from Renku : ...

Quote from Electrik Kar : ...

What VGA are you three running? With what drivers/image settings? Where the drivers cleanly installed*?

I can Alt-Tab 50 or more times while watching a full-grid .mpr and not have that happen with AA and AF enabled - I'm using an nvidia 6600GT with the 91.31 drivers.

* Whenever I install new vga drivers I run the NVcleaner app to totally remove everything from previous drivers since I've noticed similar "quirky" behaviour in apps and games whenever there's a "major" change in the drivers. Or atleast uninstall the previous version, then reboot and install the new version.
Quote from Scawen :Hmm... are you talking about the white screen?

Although I posted about that two posts back, I notice that Electrik Kar says it's not U27 related, but something that has always happened with ALT+TAB. I guess we shouldn't worry about this then, without any more evidence, even if two people got it recently for the first time.

Yeah the white screen and flat shaded graphics. I haven't installed U27 yet, and didn't want to use it for the league race, just to be safe. But as for the sound cutting out in a short distance with numerous cars nearby, that is something new in U25 afaik
Quote from Tweaker :Yeah the white screen and flat shaded graphics. I haven't installed U27 yet, and didn't want to use it for the league race, just to be safe. But as for the sound cutting out in a short distance with numerous cars nearby, that is something new

Sorry to be insistant, but:

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=249455#post249455

How about let's make a list of hardware specs for everyone that gets that bug and see if there's a pattern here?
Xaotic, Scawen

Intel 3.2gz, 1g RAM, x800pro gfx card, Audigy 2zs.. edit: cat 6.10 beta, 1280 X 1024, 4X temporal AA, 16X AF,

Some quick notes on the 'white screen' bug.

Firstly, some hard evidence this isn't related to U27,

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=11238&page=3

If you scroll down to the 4th post (which was made on 21st Aug) there's an image of the same bug. At the time I thought it could be due to 2 things, or a combination of 2 things. Firstly, Alt-tabbing- which Scawen has said not do to, but I wasn't aware of Shift F4 back then. The other thing is, I do a lot of re-texturing and newer textures are constantly being written over older textures.. so all the time I'm Alt-tabbing in and out of LFS to see how something is looking ingame. The nature of this bug (for me) is that it always occures about 5 or 6 + times after Alt-tabbing out (to photoshop) and then back into LFS again, each time reloading a track with the modified textures. Bug always hits after you click join. Then fps goes way down (like Bob says), and textures start dissapearing until you're left with plain surfaces (with maybe a few textures remaining). The fonts too just simplify into solid rectangles... I imagine this is some kind of temporary texture corruption or memory problem (like there isn't enough memory for textures). It's easily fixed on reboot. And it doesn't happen if I don't Alt-tab out or swap textures over.

If people are getting the same bug under different circumstances, then maybe it's a bit more serious?

PS, I keep my gfx drivers clean, uninstalling previous and then using Driver Cleaner to clear out everything properly. I don't imagine it's a driver issue. But I wouldn't know.
Quote from Electrik Kar :Firstly, some hard evidence this isn't related to U27

From what I read above from Renku and Bob it didn't seem to be directly U27 related. Perhaps we need a spin-off thread to discuss this in.
Quote from xaotik :What VGA are you three running? With what drivers/image settings? Where the drivers cleanly installed*?

ATI X1800XT graphics card, ATI Catalyst 6.9 drivers (with that HATEFULL control center interface), forced 16xAF, no FSAA, and yes I used DriverCleaner.

I don't think I had alt-tabbed out of LFS yesterday. Might have, was just going through my replays renaming the ones I wanted to keep from "woah" or "weee" to something more useful, and deleting the others. I think I did shift F4 a couple of times, but don't recall Alt-Tabbing. I usually try to avoid that.
Quote from Bob Smith :ATI X1800XT graphics card, ATI Catalyst 6.9 drivers (with that HATEFULL control center interface), forced 16xAF, no FSAA, and yes I used DriverCleaner.

IIRC from that "ATI & black screen" bug thread, Tweaker has an ATI too.
So 3 of 4 users that have mentioned this whitescreen, detexturizing bug use ATI cards so far.

Let's see if the rest will respond with their driver versions and settings too (perhaps there's some common setting between you guys that you've overriden in the ATI control panel?).
Quote from xaotik :From what I read above from Renku and Bob it didn't seem to be directly U27 related. Perhaps we need a spin-off thread to discuss this in.

It was U27, for me.
+1 for spin-off thread, I'll write more info later.
It started with patch U27 with me. I accedentally pushed TAB button on my keyboard (I'm 99% sure it was TAB and !maybe! few buttons more (close to TAB), but I'm 99,99% sure it wasn't ALT+TAB together. I'm 100% sure LFS went crazy just after I pressed few buttons. I made clean install for U + U27 and I was in trouble again. I don't remember if that second error adress was with U or U27 (I did multiple clean installs)

Graphics card (and drivers) - ATI Radeon 9600XT [6.14.10.6614 (Should be Catalyst 6.5)] + ATI Tray Tools. I have had these drivers for 6 months or so. Last time I made any changes to ATT setings was ~3 weeks ago.

Unfortunately I don't have any concrete info about this "bug", but this is all I have. I ALT+TAB'ed ~20 times just before writing this, nothing went wrong. I thought this problem is forgotten, because only 3 people have experienced this problem and a PC restart cures it.
Attached images
jama21.jpg
error.jpg
error1.jpg
I just want to say that the only other time I saw something that looked exactly like this was when I was mucking around with the LOD settings within ATI tray tools when trying to optimise frame rates in Trackmania Nations (sorry but I forget what the actual setting is, or which menu it's located under ). Same rectangle lettering and missing textures. Also, bug seems to occur (in LFS) when trying to do something a bit too quickly, like starting a race and immediately going into Shift-U mode, when maybe things haven't properly finished loading. Don't know if this helps...
U27. Hotlapped yesterday. Just after starting a new HL my LFS was running in 0 FPS - slideshow. I did not push any buttons and I had turned ATI Tray Tools off long before I started to hotlap. Used ALT+F4 and LFS closed itself. After launcing LFS again I got white screen. I changed LFS resolution to smth else and after I put it back to 1024x768 32 bit I was ok again, no white screen. What patch should I use in the future: U25 (the last stable one) or U28 (always newest) to determine is it LFS problem or is my PC starting to die?
I had this problem from time to time with my old ATI Radeon 9600 graphic card. It happend randomly, but mostly some time after switching between windowed and fullscreen mode. I don't know if it started with a specific patch, but it's not a new problem.

With my new 1800XT it didn't happen yet.
I also have this problem fromt time to time. Unfortunatly I can´t see a pattern. It´s not related to U27 or U28 (As i haven´t installed either of them)
. BTW when it happens in LFS, the same happens in the CMX-Viewer and vice-versa.
It looks like you are running out of card memory. Your card is failing to recover the textures after switching to desktop and back again.

The people who are reporting this bug, should also report if they are using texture packs made by anyone else.

One thing in particular to look out for are some of Don and Kid's skies which were 4096 x 4096 resolution. That takes 32 MB for the sky alone. They are for screenshots I guess... you would be making a big mistake to actually go racing with one of those not resized to a sensible size.

No in-game sky should ever be more than 2048, however much memory you have on your graphics card. We don't supply them over 1024. Also the use of uncompressed skins would help make this bug appear. You shouldn't use uncompressed skins for online racing unless your graphics card memory is huge! And by the way, it's nothing to do with the size of the jpg file. A single 1024x1024 skin, with "use compressed skins" switched off, takes 2.7 MB of your card's memory. With the compression on, it only takes 0.7 MB.
Yes, if I remember correctly it happened more frequently when using high-res skies, but as well with the original ones. The thing is, that the problem only occurs after some time. So there is enough graphic memory at the beginning, but it somehow seems to get filled up more and more (bug ?). To me it seems a bit weird that 128 MB should be completely filled up although in the lfs graphic options it says something around 40 MB. And even if the 128 MB are full with some crap, shouldn't the modern AGP cards be able to use the system memory as well to avoid such problems?
No I don´t use high-res sky pack, but I use the lightning/shine textures (to make the cars more shiny).

A soon as it happens again I´m gonna post a report what I´ve done before ot happened. Though it doesn´t happen very often.
I've had this problem again for 3-4 times (U27 and U29) and a resolution change in LFS fixes it every time. I remembered wrong: textures is already fixed right after the first resolution change, not when I put back my original 1024x768 32bit. I stopped using ATT for now (although LFS is quite ugly without AA and AF) and I don't use high quality anything. Exeption was the use of uncompressed skins. From now on (U30) I'll keep using compressed skins, will see if this is to blame. I can come up with one conclusion: Radeon 9600 128MB series cards aren't powerful enough to use uncompressed skins and that even while hotlapping.
I got a problem like that.....when i first start it up and the Live For Speed S2 Alpha texture comes up that whole texture is white....? I have no other problems with anything else just that...
Moved thread out of hidden test patch forum to bug reports - this still exists in V patch.
Quote from GP4Flo :...To me it seems a bit weird that 128 MB should be completely filled up although in the lfs graphic options it says something around 40 MB. And even if the 128 MB are full with some crap, shouldn't the modern AGP cards be able to use the system memory as well to avoid such problems?

I don't really know about that, they do seem to run out of memory and just start drawing white textures - they don't seem to start swapping from system memory. I don't really know why that would be or how it should be.

The 40 MB you are referring to displayed in LFS is only texture memory. The card memory is also used for the screen (1024x768x32 bit is another 3 MB) and the backbuffer (same as the screen) and the Z-buffer (at 24 bit that's approaching another 3 MB). And as far as I know, the use of full screen anti-aliasing is another massive increase. Someone may correct me but as far as I understand 4xAA uses 4 pixels for every pixel, so you'd be using 12 MB for the backbuffer instead of 3. Or come to think of it maybe that's an EXTRA 12 MB in addition to the normal backbuffer. Also there is memory used for the 3D objects (the HVS objects). And the vertex shaders and some other things though I don't think they take up much space. A 3D card / D3D expert could tell you more than I can but all i can say is there is a lot more card memory used, not just texture memory.
I have an Ati Radeon 9800 Pro and I have this white screen "bug" BUT my video card has faulty memory. I have to decrease the speed of the memory on the card to be able to watch a video without artifacts all over the screen. When textures start to disappaer I quit, rotate the picture 180 degrees and back in Ati driver, this clears the trash from video memory then I can play again.
Yes, maybe it's indeed faulty or overheating memory. With my new Radeon X1800 mobile (128 MB as well) I didn't get any problems yet.

Overheating memory could make sense as the problem seems to occur more frequently with high-res textures. More textures -> more load on the memory -> more heat. Sounds logical to me.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG