The online racing simulator
Non-Native English Speakers
(58 posts, started )

Poll : How easy is it for you to participate in an English-language forum?

I am fluent, communication in English is easy for me.
I can read others' posts OK, but sometimes it's hard to express myself in English.
I sometimes have to look up technical words or unusual words.
I am English but my language is atrocious and an embarrassment to the nation.
I don't like English, I wish I could post in my own language.
I'm always impressed by how good the standard of English is on this forum, especially from the European racers. But (as someone who only really speaks one language) I often wonder how hard it is to keep up with some of the more difficult words or unfamiliar/regional/colloquial phrases used here.

So I made a poll.
err..nvm lol
i just can the basic english.
most likely i fail on the harder stuff so i just leave it and try to find a workaround
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
-
(Bean0) DELETED by Bean0
There is no reason to implement NOS in LFS. It isn't used in racing anyway. Search! illepall

EDIT: I sometimes have to look up technical words or unusual words.
#4 - Bean0
Quote from Hyperactive :There is no reason to implement NOS in LFS. It isn't used in racing anyway. Search! illepall

Erm
It's very easy for me. I live next door to the English .
Quote :I am English but my language is atrocious and an embarrassment to the nation.

there we go, ud get me with that...*searches the next online translator*
#8 - CSU1
Yes, there are a lot of good English speaking little sim people's around here, but the part I find most amusing is the difference in the way different people use slang or the way another might think they are talking about something else lol' like that Canadian guy who has "I LOVE THE RING" plastered all over his avetar lmao
Milläs oudolla kielellä täällä oikein höpistään.. oh it's in English o.O

My native tongue is Finnish, which I used as my first language for the first 12 years or so. Since then, due to circumstances, I've used English as my first language. Occasionally the peculiarities of localised dialects catch me off guard, but more often than not I can correctly guess a word's meaning depending on the context.

I do have problems with sayings and traditions, both Finnish and English, because I got stuck in limbo between the two early on.
I think I'm pretty fluent, but I always have an online translator nearby, mostly for unusual words or for spellchecking. Sometimes I have a bad day and my vocabulary sucks all of a sudden, but most of the time it's okay.

Though, if you ask me anything about grammar I'll completely fail, even if it's about German grammar. I mean, I use it correctly for the most part, but if I'd have to say in what form a sentence is written I'd turn very silent very fast.
I sometimes check some words, but manage to understand allright I think. Some weirds expressions like 'till the cows come home' tristan used last week, I couln't have understood if hadn't got that in school that week (guite a coinside), you can't search those from dictionary. So I think that's the hard bit, the weird expressions that won't make sense if you just translate them and you need to learn by heart. And about my communication, well, I feel like it doesn't always come out like I think...but that doesn't happen that perfectly in finnish so
And once again I must say that I find it funny that the worst english on these forums is from native speakers illepall Because I was having a shit.

err...
Quote from CSU1 :like that Canadian guy who has "I LOVE THE RING" plastered all over his avetar lmao

LMAO, I love the ring too...........also I find the Nurburgring quite fun too...........

Dan,
#13 - Vain
Yep. www.dict.cc is always with me and I can check those seldomly used words I never heard before. Additionally it helps me to find alternative words to improve the readability of my posts. I could do without the translator, but I think it's easier for everyone when I use a rich vocabulary.
I sometimes don't even get the transition from german to english. I sometimes write an english reply in a german thread on a different forum. Then I have to write the post again. So english is really natural to me, though I seldomly speak it.

@Blackout: Yes, it's quite sad that there are many native speakers who fail at english. That actually means that they aren't able to express themselves correctly in any language. Isn't that sad?

Vain
#14 - CSU1
Quote from danowat :LMAO, I love the ring too...........also I find the Nurburgring quite fun too...........

Dan,

I think my english is above average..but it certainly isn't perfect.
Main reasons i understand and speak it well are; growing up in various foreign countries and going to english schools; working abroad ; hating subtitles on tv (ignore them) and hating translated books so i read mostly english.

It is said that being belgian is an advantage too since our language has a wide spectrum of sounds/tones and our schools(for the few years of highschool i did over here) teach dutch ,french ,german and english.
Quote :subtitles on tv (ignore them)

Lol, I remember back in the day when I couldn't follow TV in English I always relied on the subtitles. Last time I went back to Finland I found them exceedingly annoying
I must say that it is a bit hard for me to read long posts or long threads.Because i can easily loose my concentration while reading and forget what i read about on the line before.It also happens when i read in my native language but gets worse in english...
Oh subtitles are so annoying! I don't need them or want them but can't help not reading them longer than 10 minutes.
#19 - CSU1
Quote from NotAnIllusion :Lol, I remember back in the day when I couldn't follow TV in English I always relied on the subtitles. Last time I went back to Finland I found them exceedingly annoying

Mmmmyes exceedingly! Who was eating MR.kiplings today
I'm quite okay when people actually use English.

If people want to be honest that last option should definetely get many more votes IMO (although there are many non-English posters from other countries were english is the native language which fit that category nicely as well).
Zorer's avatar, LOL!!

Kev, shouldn't you be out hotlapping?
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#22 - CSU1
okay, this to most will be a stupid question:doh: ,
but wtf does 111eleven111 mean????
I see it everywhere and I can't work out what the hell it means...please
#23 - CSU1
#24 - Vain
In leet-speak (the stuff with the "I'm t3h coole$t dr1fter!", sorry for the discrimination) people like to use a 1 to replace an exclamation mark. So they end sentences with "111" instead "!!!". "111" can be read as "1 eleven" or "onehundretandeleven" if you want to make fun of the person in question.

Vain
If you are in a hurry or excited you are not carefull with the shift key and !-mark comes out as a 1 you see111!!11
And as Vain illustrated, it's a great way to make fun of the not so clever people.

(58 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG