The online racing simulator
Question for the experts: how long it took you?
Like the thread title says,the question is:

How long it took you to become as fast as you are now?

Yes I know,maybe a dumb question,but I was just wondering.
#2 - Jakg
im no expert - but surely everyone is still improving?
Of course, but I'd imagine all the really fast guys have at least 25,000km under their belt.
Over a year to keep the cars on the road, and I still can't race safely in most cars I am an "expert" with some cars though so.. yeah. About a year or so, but once I caught the hang of it most combos became easy within a few laps.
I'm currently listed as having driven 27193 miles. However, that number is inaccurate because it doesn't account for the many miles I did in the demo test days before S1. I consider myself pretty fast and can usually get within a second or 2 of the WR without too much trouble.
I have driven 62.360 miles and am still slow. :sadbanana
If you are a total noob with racing games I'm pretty sure that it will take a bit longer to "get to your speed". And I think that there is a personal limit on how fast you are and how fast you can be. I think myself as an average driver. When the faster guys spin out or do something stupid I may have chance of winning but in the end I can hang in their tail if I do my best. I think my best lap is LX6 at SO2. The wr is 0:52.95 and my time is 0:53.69. According to LFSworld I've driven 111 laps there, mostly hotlapping on an empty server so I guess that is the fastest I can go. So if I can get within 102% I know that I have reached my limit.

I guess the 102% is the average, with practise you start getting 101% and if you're really good you can go under 100%. To get a 102% you need a lot of practise=experience, to go under 101% you need natural talent, imho

But the key is practise

EDIT: 64897 Km
#8 - robt
so2 is south city sprint? its much more fun in reverse config with LX6, especially with kb.
After about 17,000 km I was able to get 1 to 1.5 second off the wr after just few laps. In my opinion if you learn to drive one car very well then you wont have any problems with driving other ones.
..ever since i started... and im still going
Quote from XCNuse :..ever since i started... and im still going

no spamming please.
its not spam sir; im aware of what spam is.. spam comes in a can

no actually thats not spam at all, your question is purely unanswerable, you always learn and always improve, like the saying goes.. practice makes perfect (well.. not quite, but you do get better)

so thats all it takes.. just keep driving around and you'll improve
Quote from XCNuse :its not spam sir; im aware of what spam is.. spam comes in a can

no actually thats not spam at all, your question is purely unanswerable, you always learn and always improve, like the saying goes.. practice makes perfect (well.. not quite, but you do get better)

so thats all it takes.. just keep driving around and you'll improve

okay.
#14 - Jakg
I was going to say the same thing as XCNuse. How long has it taken? My join date is when I registered as a demo S1 user at LFS.net, March 2005. It is now Oct. 2006, so, 19 months. And it goes up every day.
Quote from Jakg :now whose spamming?

(except me, obviously!)

I wasn't spamming.

I was having a " I was about to say something smart but my brain flew away" moment.

Now I am SPAM!ng.

*tries to run away in an LX6 but it fishtails and he crashes*
For me its taken till now. When i go on lfs i dont always improve but with every bit of practice i get better. Take last night i set 3 new pb's (i think) I would expect even for the top fast guys they still improve over time.
you just have to understand what you are doing while driving/setting up your car, after that you can be quite fast quickly with any car on any track.
Quote from Flotch :you just have to understand what you are doing while driving/setting up your car, after that you can be quite fast quickly with any car on any track.

Yeah, what the Flotchmaster said. I reckon most people that are capable of being very quick will certainly be at wr pace on at least one config within the first 6months of playing. (someone that plays a lot each week and focuses on a single combo might realise their potential sooner, though). (IMO).
Quote from Greboth :When i go on lfs i dont always improve but with every bit of practice i get better.

That's how I feel it too.

For example, when you're lapping some combo and feel like you've reached your limit.. take a break or drive something else, and then when getting back to that impossible-to-improve combo you're suddenly running faster times with exactly same set
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
I aren't that fast tbh. But I can think of 3 combo's where i'm extremely near to the WR.
LX4 on Oval which I did yesterday
PB: 0.52.82
WR: 0.52.02
F08 on oval which was the first time i'd ever got close to a WR. It was ages ago so now I won't be as close to it as I was
PB: 0.36.64
WR: 0.37.29 (That's strange. That would mean I have the WR)
And FOX at KY National REV. One of my best LFS days actually. I was hanging out with the ELR guys and did extremely well. Again, this was a long time ago and I now won't be as close as I was.
PB: 1.55.76
WR: 1.38.27 (Yeah the WR has changed dramatically since then)

As long as you practise even noobs like me can get good times.
Quote from thisnameistaken ::sadbanana

I said "most", for others something might click after a long time of playing, and suddenly they cut their times dramatically.

Others might learn much more slowly. Just my opinion, I think that if you're still a fair way short of the wr pace everywhere after 6 months, then practice alone might not be enough to help you get up there, you need to change something or do something differently.
@nutty boy: No offense, but seriously, who cares about WR's on the friggin oval? As far as I know, regular racing times are far quicker than the WR there, because you can actually use the slipstream. Besides that, isn't watching the WR hotlap on the oval the most boring thing ever?
Yes I agree but I was just saying that I was close to the WR on there.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG