The online racing simulator
Disconnection Notification
(14 posts, started )
With all the test patches of late, particularly since U18 (the one which had the aero hack) i've noticed disconnects have risen to an alarming level. I have never personally experienced disconnects until recently, I run U20 and experienced my first when connected to a U20 server. I experienced my second the other day when connected to a U server. My guess is the host isn't the problem.

I've noticed some drivers complaining that recently LFS has become far less stable, and as a server admin i've found myself in the situation where i've had to move the racing to another server in an effort to reduce disconnects.

I'm wondering if these increased disconnects are related to a CPW feature in an effort to get rid of the aero hack, but is a misjudgement by LFS. Could LFS make it more clear when disconnecting what the reason was with a text message?, even if it's a technical report, it would help enourmously in resolving problems - particularly where league racing is concerned.
Just been trying to race online just a week ago. Incesssant disconnects for unexplained reasons.

Couldn't do a single race properly thanks to unexplained lag and disconnects. This at 2 digit pings.
I've never had any disconnection problems, ever, since I bought the game in the Q era.

Actually, the number of disconnections, including time outs since 2005 august must be below 10, and I havent formatted/defrag my HD for 3 years.

Guess I'm lucky
Don't have any disconnection problems here, either. The test patches had no effect on that for me.
Somehow I have a feeling that alot of these disconnects we keep reading about are because of ISPs revising their traffic shaping policies. Atleast two threads I noticed recently ended up with a user finding out it was the result of some limitation or network scheme imposed by their ISP.
I'd say in the whole time i've had LFS (4 years) i've had 3 or 4 unexplained discos...

I'd say its more of an ISP issue tbh.
Yeah most ISPs are getting really tight now. Blame them for everything, I say. Guilty until proven innocent. I can count my disconnects in 3 years of playing on both hands.
I'm not convinced of that, although my own experience has been relatively free of disconnects (the few i've had couldn't have happened at more important times mind you!) I have observed recently that disconnects are significantly more common, and I dont really believe the internet is broken to this extent.

What this thread is for though isn't to 'fix disconnects' which I realise our outside of Scawen's domain most of the time, but to give us a little text message saying what caused the disconnection - this would help us to diagnose what has happened.

Messages could be, "Packet loss too high", "CPW mismatch", "Client Data Corrupted" and so on.

A little bit of feedback from LFS when a disconnect occurs could go a long way in solving problems when they occur.
Quote from Becky Rose :I'm not convinced of that, although my own experience has been relatively free of disconnects (the few i've had couldn't have happened at more important times mind you!) I have observed recently that disconnects are significantly more common, and I dont really believe the internet is broken to this extent.

What this thread is for though isn't to 'fix disconnects' which I realise our outside of Scawen's domain most of the time, but to give us a little text message saying what caused the disconnection - this would help us to diagnose what has happened.

Messages could be, "Packet loss too high", "CPW mismatch", "Client Data Corrupted" and so on.

A little bit of feedback from LFS when a disconnect occurs could go a long way in solving problems when they occur.

I got a message last night telling me I had "an unexpected size packet". I knew that already but thanks for the compliment, I thought.

Next thing you know it'll be telling me I have a "large member stuck in token ring"
Quote from Becky Rose :A little bit of feedback from LFS when a disconnect occurs could go a long way in solving problems when they occur.

Yeah, playing with network debug mode on (shift-f8) isn't much fun - but it does have quite a bit of info and it also keeps a log file for you (deb.log). Perhaps something you can use for the time being when on hosts that are "under suspicion"?

Gentlefoot, that error just means your packet was truncated. Better be careful next time.
Quote from Becky Rose :

Good idea, I don't really know what those kind of messages mean though. I have a vague idea what a packet is, and I understand Client Data, but basically all I would like to know after a (very rare) disconnect is whether the problem was with the server or with my end of the cable. So if that could be emphasised in conjunction with the technical messages, that would be better.
Quote from xaotik :

Gentlefoot, that error just means your packet was truncated. Better be careful next time.

lol - Sounds nasty!
Quote from Gentlefoot :I got a message last night telling me I had "an unexpected size packet". I knew that already but thanks for the compliment, I thought.

Next thing you know it'll be telling me I have a "large member stuck in token ring"

LOL

Sorry for spam, but that made me laugh

(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG