The online racing simulator
Point to point racing
(46 posts, started )
#1 - Lowe
Point to point racing
Hi all,

I'm a bit of a n00b here, and I've searched, but never come across something which I'd love to see in the LFS engine...

Point to point racing. Rather than circuits, have something that's like a nice Welsh B road (obviously without traffic). I wouldn't want this to be NFS style, just something a little different.

Could be fun for the grippers and the drifters. Anyhoo feel free to shoot it down in flames
wouldn't mind a sort of "isle of man" type road conditions, and the same kind of point to point racing..

in other words = +1

but expect some flaming though..
It's unlikely to get flamed simply because Scawen has already said it's planned. Specifically in regards to rally stages, whether you get a Welsh B road depends on wether we get the Rally of Great Britain
I've wished for WRC style rally stages in LFS for a long while, but ATM, even the gravel terrain simulation is quite off. Wish it'll happen, but unfortunately, it's still some way off.
+1 for this - really challenges your ability to learn the course. Would need to be at least 5 miles long I'd say else it would just be too short.

And would we have actual racing or what it be done against the clock - much more boring IMO. It would be hilarious trying to overtake on some narrow windy road.
Quote from Gentlefoot :And would we have actual racing or what it be done against the clock - much more boring IMO. It would be hilarious trying to overtake on some narrow windy road.

Against the clock, but have everyone start at offset times (i.e. at 30 second intervals?) Lots of chances for fun passing then
Quote from the_angry_angel :Against the clock, but have everyone start at offset times (i.e. at 30 second intervals?) Lots of chances for fun passing then

cool idea. And if people tele pitted after crashing it'd work very well indeed.
#8 - Lowe
Stuff against the clock, I'd love a pack of say 4 cars battling it out down a tight twisty road. Yes, I guess there's the potential for mahem if one person stacks it (pileup anyone?) but wouldn't that be part of the charm?

As for Rally stages - hmm, same kind of thing I guess but I wouldn't want it particularly off road, perhaps a tarmac stage thing...
Yeah, this is something I'm really looking forward to. I'd be happy not even racing, just enjoying driving a fantastic windy road I don't know at high speed in a nice road car. But then, I did go out for a 600km drive last night just to drive some of the best twisty mountain roads around here....

I would love something in LFS like the Stelvio Pass or something similar. An awesome, narrow road with loads of switchbacks and cliff edges to fall off. If there was say a 20km point to point road like that, I don't think I would ever drive anything else in LFS again... It's nice to dream....

Just thought of something else....with circuit racing, 99% of the time the car with the best outright grip and power to weight ratio (or power to drag at high speed...) is the fastest on a circuit. it would be awesome to have these narrow bumpy roads with constant direction changes as I think we'd see some of the less powercul cars keeping up with more powerful cars. If the road was twisty and enough, I'm sure a less confident FZ50 driver wouldn't see which way an LX4 went, and who knows, it might even have a very well driven XR GT in it's mirrors
Quote from Jamexing :I've wished for WRC style rally stages in LFS for a long while, but ATM, even the gravel terrain simulation is quite off. Wish it'll happen, but unfortunately, it's still some way off.

LFS on gravel feels pretty similar to RBR on gravel, IMO.
The rallyX in LFS is amazing. But, we need rally stages, and from the previous posts, this is already planned. I haven't played LFS for at least a week, I have been playing the GPL demo.
I have no idea how accurate LFS' off-road physics are. The only time i've ever driven a car off road has been very brief and abruptly interrupted by an armco.
Quote from Michael Denham :I would love something in LFS like the Stelvio Pass or something similar. An awesome, narrow road with loads of switchbacks and cliff edges to fall off. If there was say a 20km point to point road like that, I don't think I would ever drive anything else in LFS again... It's nice to dream....

I also love those roads IRL, and I hope we see them someday.

BTW, everytime someone asks for point to point tracks, the NFS flamming appears. I wonder why this time it hasn't appeared...
Yep, this is still a great idea. Highway 199 please! There are some great mountain/canyon/cliffside roads along the rivers around here. Makes a long trip actually interesting to drive. I like trying to improve my line through the curves and narrows each time (always at completely legal speeds of course!), but I always wonder how fast I could go if I could use both/all four lanes (and if I had a proper car [and no speed limits {or traffic}]) ...
you know its funny how a suggestion like this gets lots of supporters as long as nobody dares to call the winding narrow roads you all want "togue"
Touge invented narrow roads.
Quote from Shotglass :you know its funny how a suggestion like this gets lots of supporters as long as nobody dares to call the winding narrow roads you all want "togue"

What's wrong with calling them that? It's just another name for them and the guys that do togue just enjoy driving these roads like the rest of us...
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from Becky Rose :It's unlikely to get flamed simply because Scawen has already said it's planned. Specifically in regards to rally stages, whether you get a Welsh B road depends on wether we get the Rally of Great Britain

Hmm. Has he actually said it? There are some severe limitations related to this kind of "from point a to b" race courses and I would be quite surprized to see one in LFS...
+1
this is such a good idea.. point to point.. OMG
Quote from TyresHot :-1

Weeeell, you're a demo racer, so your input really doesn't count
I'm +1 on this. Racing in "stages" would be awesome.
Quote from evans :Weeeell, you're a demo racer, so your input really doesn't count
I'm +1 on this. Racing in "stages" would be awesome.

No wonder he's still a demo racer. If I've read the elitist anti-demo racer crap on these forums before I got the licencse, well, i simply wouldn't bother.
+1
Quote from Jamexing :No wonder he's still a demo racer. If I've read the elitist anti-demo racer crap on these forums before I got the licencse, well, i simply wouldn't bother.

That fella is spamming all the threads though. We don't want nobbies like that getting licenced.

Point to point racing
(46 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG