The online racing simulator
LFS and AGEIA ?
(40 posts, started )
LFS and AGEIA ?
#2 - tpa
looks nice, but I dont think there will ever be any kind of cooperation between ageia and lfs... lfs is all homemade
I have a painfull headache so I'm not going to bother to read all thats on the weabpage, what exactly is AGEIA?
It looks like some sort of physics platform. I think what nesrulz is trying to say... is that AGEIA could be implemented for the crash physics or something.
#5 - Mbrio
Although it probably is a good system, it's only useful to use something like that if you do it from the start. It might be possible to use the rigid body dynamics and the collision detection, but it would probably take ages to implement that now.
not to mention that how much would it cost to the developers. since I don't think it's free
we went over this many times before in the old forum

to use the physics chip the programmers need to use the novadex SDK. thats no good for lfs.

and anyway, a duel core system will most likely be more suitable for it (apart from the 128mb onboard ram on the physics card).

the only way this can/will become mainstream is if the card is opened up for developers to plug homebrew physics in. i doubt many developers will want to chuck out years of code. changing physics sdk is a bitch, not only do you have to change a *lot* of code but you also have to learn the new sdk and learn all the tweaks to make it stable (if it fakes the physics, and novadex does)
Quote from dUmAsS :to use the physics chip the programmers need to use the novadex SDK. thats no good for lfs.

Quote from Tweaker :It looks like some sort of physics platform. I think what nesrulz is trying to say... is that AGEIA could be implemented for the crash physics or something.

Yes, AGEIA is Physics Processing Unit (PPU).
#12 - K4Ri
Quote from dUmAsS :we went over this many times before in the old forum

to use the physics chip the programmers need to use the novadex SDK. thats no good for lfs.

Why?

Key features:
  • Stable, high-performance solver
  • First and only multiprocessing physics API
  • PC and console support
  • Works alongside and is compatible with other game engines
  • Supports vehicles, rag dolls, and character controllers
  • Integrates with any renderer
  • Full complement of code samples and tutorials
  • World-class developer support and custom solutions
here's why:

anything that takes full advantage of ageia makes it impossible to run on normal pcs. therefore shrinking madly the target machines lfs can run on.
if you gonna use ageia just as extension eyecandy, it makes itself useless because its not vital for the game.

sad but true.
Quote from K4Ri :Why?

Key features:
  • Stable, high-performance solver
  • First and only multiprocessing physics API
  • PC and console support
  • Works alongside and is compatible with other game engines
  • Supports vehicles, rag dolls, and character controllers
  • Integrates with any renderer
  • Full complement of code samples and tutorials
  • World-class developer support and custom solutions

As a speculation, Novadex is only general. i.e. vehicle physics are basic vehicle physics, rather than each indepedent part of the vehicle, and how it affects it as a whole. Whilst it maybe good at some things - like being using in a FPS (such as UT2003/4), its technically not designed for racing sim's, and a fair chunk of stuff would need to be written from scratch, to talk and add on bits that were missing, anyway - so why use Novadex? A lot of the physics is already written, stripping it out and replacing it with Novadex and rewritten code for Novadex compatibility would be nuts - its a huge task. 1 person can only do so much, and theres not much real benefit to do so.

Dont get me wrong, I like Novadex, its good, but it has its place. You wouldnt write a kernel in QBasic, because its the wrong tool for the job. The same applies here.
Also the Novodex SDK is said to be quite expensive; the commercial license price for a single title on one platform is 50 000 dollars. Or, thats what it used to be some time ago, it could have changed up or down but whatever it is now I doubt it would be worth it for LFS. Especially considering the time it would take to pretty much re-write most of the physics code already there, and the amount it would "alienate" the whole game (It would not work well or at all without the PPU card).
Quote from SlamDunk :You can dowload the full SDK for free: http://www.ageia.com/novodex_downloads.html

And a snip of the license from that package:

Quote :
1. Use of the Software.
a. You may:
(i) use and display the Software, including the Third Party Materials, for internal demonstration purposes only;
(ii) use, display and reproduce the SDK and Rocket, excluding the Third Party Materials, internally solely to develop Your non-commercial physics simulation applications, including without limitation game demo, educational and training applications; and
(iii) distribute the Software, excluding the Third Party Materials, solely as part of a non-commercial project for non-commercial academic and research purposes only.

c. No Commercial Distribution Right. This license grants no rights to distribute the Software for any commercial purposes. Any and all individuals, companies, non-academic government agencies or other organizations wishing to redistribute the Software for any purpose other than that specifically set forth in Section 1(a)(iii) above must enter into written contract with NovodeX. Please contact [email protected] for further information.

Free to download does not mean free to use.
Quote from Kegetys :Free to download does not mean free to use.

Non-obscure licenses for teh win!!!1111oneone
Quote :The ODF utilities can be used with any physics engine, but we hope that you will find it a nice complement to the features of the AGEIA physX API

It always makes me laugh, proprietory systems trying to work with OpenSouce, in order to get more business =/
Quote from K4Ri :Works alongside and is compatible with other game engines

and if thats true then it might be good. if i can ship off my code to the physics chip instead of the cpu then fine. but if i need to go through novadex then no thanks.
Quote from Kegetys :Free to download does not mean free to use.

I just used it, for free!

Yeah, but I got your point. GG
Quote from Bob Smith :nesrulz: your avatar is annoying (at least mine is just ugly )

Better now?
Just looks like eye candy to me . . . Doesn't look quite right. I mean it's designed with consoles in mind ffs. It's certainly not right enough to be implemeted into LFS.

And anyway. Scawen already has a kick arse Physics engine. And it's one that will get even better.
Quote from Funnybear :And anyway. Scawen already has a kick arse Physics engine. And it's one that will get even better.

Well yes, but it has flaws or rather limits it can handle.. I guess you haven't seen the "too many physics objects" error message?
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken

LFS and AGEIA ?
(40 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG