The online racing simulator
RPM limiter suggestion
(28 posts, started )
#1 - apo3d
RPM limiter suggestion
In my opinion there should be a single light that should be:
-green when out of the power curve and needing to shift-down
-yellow when the engine goes past the optimum shift point (i think this is the current function it has)
-red when a lot over the optimum shift point and (eventually) damaging the engine.
Also i'd like to be able to set the engine limiter at whatever rpm i want to.
It also goes red, when you are out of the optimum power curve (i.e. you need to shift down), not just when you are past it (which it currently does).

I'm not 100% sure why you'd want to beable to set a specific RPM limit, to be honest. Engine damage warning - perhaps. But maybe you should just be using some common sense to realise when you're causing damage?
I disagree with RPM limiters. It prevents you from pushing the car to where YOU think its limits are.

I agree with the lights, but i dont think a RPM limiter should be there, but thats my personal opinion

cheers,
Well, most real cars have RPM limiters, so the situation before S2 Alpha with no cars having one was rather unrealistic. But I'd really like to see the engine damage getting upped again, right now it's almost impossible to damage the engine in any way.
I'm glad its not just me, who thinks that the engine damage isnt very noticable now.
Yes, i agree. But i would also like to see a fully auto box. Ie one with kick down. Then we could have races such as Automatic races, which i think would be quite fun.

I am so keen on the idea of fully auto boxes, as no other sim game features these, not even GT4.

Cheers,

**And engine damage need to be increased by a long way, and also the cluch feature ie burning the cluch out, and not having to press it all the way down, and different biting points**
The clutch in LFS is very basic atm. RPM limiters - what's the point? Just makes it harder to blow your engine up when you want to... which of course is now much harder. Engine damage was a bit OTT in 0.3 but it's the reverse situation now.
First y'all complain about no rev limiters, and now you complain about having them? Tough crowd to please, I say!

<-- Pika...
Of course the cars should have a rev limiter, unless the real life cars don't have it (thinking of MRT and RAC), but I don't think a car like the UF1 would have a rev limiter.

My Mazda 626 from 83 dosen't have one.
I say have some cars with rev limiters, and some without.

I like to give a car a good hard thrashing, i dont want some crappy limiter stoping me right before redline

cheers,
Quote from Impreza WRX :First y'all complain about no rev limiters, and now you complain about having them? Tough crowd to please, I say!

I still agree it is realisitic to have rev limiters in ALL cars - since all cars do have them IRL. I'm just not fussed too much about them, since during normal driving it's not something you're going to notice.
Quote from marsden1002 :I say have some cars with rev limiters, and some without.

I like to give a car a good hard thrashing, i dont want some crappy limiter stoping me right before redline

cheers,

ummm... all these rev limiters stop the revving well into the redline. Besides, all the power is already gone 1000 RPM before the limiter, so why are you unhappy at the engine not going to its full potential, when it already gave you its full potential 3000 RPMs ago?
Yep, not all cars have rev limiters. Not all cars have speed limiters. There is a difference. My 99 Tacomo Pickup has a rev limiter, and I could bounce the needle off it all day long and it would never flinch (Toyota 4x4's are tough SOB's). My 96 Altima doesn't have a rev limiter. My Toyota will shut off after 107 mph (takes about 20 miles on Pennsylvania highways). My Altima I've let off at 125 mph. Still don't know what it will do. My Honda Nighthawk will rev to 13,000 rpm (redline at 10,500, oops, missed a shift :-) ). It has a speed limiter, it's called my fat arse sitting on it with my aerodynamically defficient body. I've topped out at 116. But it will get there awefully quick.
#14 - Gunn
Quote from Impreza WRX :ummm... all these rev limiters stop the revving well into the redline. Besides, all the power is already gone 1000 RPM before the limiter, so why are you unhappy at the engine not going to its full potential, when it already gave you its full potential 3000 RPMs ago?

I was also going to raise this point. Currently when the light comes on you are already getting everything out of that gear that you can. Being able to go over this limit won't make you go faster so what is the point? A rev limiter can prevent engine damage without sacrificing performance.
Yeah i know. But i like to give a car slighty into redline. My Lexus Is200 Auto 05 Plate (I know, but i cant be arsed changing gears @ weekends, drive van all week long) changes gears at 6250rpm (just at red line) but if i engage sports mode it revs untill 6500rpm before changing gear.

Anyways, just a little info to prove some rev limiters are only hindering your cars preformance

Cheers.
Quote from marsden1002 :Anyways, just a little info to prove some rev limiters are only hindering your cars preformance

LOL.

I see no proof. All I see is you doing something because you don't fully understand what goes on under the bonnet.

When driving your lexus, you'll find peak power when NOT in sport mode is probably about 6000rpm. In sport mode, various things with change - ignition timing, valve timing(?), fuel mappings, exhaust valves (in the exhaust, not the one's in the head!)(?), etc etc. That's why the redline goes up, because the peak power will now be at 6250rpm or something. The main thing is throttle responce increases, and TCS/ABS become a bit more lenient.

Revving your car slightly into redline is pointless and, ultimately, expensive. Only useful on a track to save a gear change (called stretching a gear).

Why is it people with 'Luxury' cars like BMW's, Lexi, Mercedes et al, generally feel the need to write out a small essay on their cars name. Wouldn't lexus have done? Did we really need to know the numberplate??? I'm just wondering if it's because people feel the need to tell people how great they are and what great new cars they can afford. Not that I'd EVER buy a BMW, Toyota Lexus, Mercedes, etc... regardless of money...
I think he just wanted to increase his e-penis
tc, the master of put-down.
Quote from AndroidXP :I think he just wanted to increase his e-penis

LMAO
Quote from Doorman :tc, the master of put-down.

:haha:
#21 - Gunn
Ok, ok, keep it clean please guys. No need to pick on the poor fellow.
Oooops, we've been rumbled

*scarpers*
Quote from mrodgers :My Toyota will shut off after 107 mph (takes about 20 miles on Pennsylvania highways). My Altima I've let off at 125 mph.

My wife had an RS Camaro with a freaking speed limiter like that. I found it on a downhill corner outside of Las Vegas. She had been sleeping and I had to explain to her why she woke up with a fright in slide at 120mph.

It is, hands down, the stupidist design 'feature' I've ever seen on a car that doesn't say Ford on the front. I coulda killed someone from Chevy had they shown up within an hour after that little episode. illepall
Quote from the_angry_angel :I'm glad its not just me, who thinks that the engine damage isnt very noticable now.

I didn`t even know there is any...would be good to have it, makes clean shifting more important.
Quote from Slartibartfast :My wife had an RS Camaro with a freaking speed limiter like that. I found it on a downhill corner outside of Las Vegas. She had been sleeping and I had to explain to her why she woke up with a fright in slide at 120mph.

It is, hands down, the stupidist design 'feature' I've ever seen on a car that doesn't say Ford on the front. I coulda killed someone from Chevy had they shown up within an hour after that little episode. illepall

Hmm, I never thought of this. I found out in mine just going straight on the interstate. A sudden throttle cut unexpectedly in midcorner wouldn't be the best thing that could happen. Of course in my 4x4 I don't think I'd be doing 107 in a corner, I think a tree or something would be what cut the throttle for me LOL. But in a Camaro? That's a stupid dangerous situation (the cutout, not the 120 mph ).

RPM limiter suggestion
(28 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG