The online racing simulator
Licence Plate
(33 posts, started )
Licence Plate
Please put an option in to the game to switch the plate off. I hate that yellow thing (or white at the front).

PLEEEEEEEAAAAASSSSEEEEE
? im somewhat lost about why one would hate it

if anything about an improvement for the license plate, i would suggest it have a .dds texture on it to give it some look (or.. atleast be able to change the look/color of it)
+1

I dislike it sometimes too.

It makes the GTR cars at least look terrible, and ESPECIALLY the LX ones with it just hanging down in front (looks out of place, and just drags on the ground, or goes through it... ruins good screenshots).

The cars would look much cooler in a racecar style body without the plates. A good example is that many people wish to have the front license plate removed on the FZR because to make some Porsche GT3 replicas, many of those have specific logos there (like Blaupunkt is a common one), and with it just covered up by a plate, it ruins a skin in my opinion. So yes, having a license plate on/off switch would be ideal, since some people like it. I personally do not like it on most of the cars (especially the LX and RB4)

There are many racecars, and normal roadcars that don't have plates on (obvisouly), and the empty space where one normally goes, there is a nice decal, or the paintjob is painted over it to complete a design. Just look at the RAC, they never put a plate on the front because i would ruin its looks. Should do the same for all the other cars.

The license plates are great for identity and all, but they look really stupid to be honest.
Quote from XCNuse :? im somewhat lost about why one would hate it

if anything about an improvement for the license plate, i would suggest it have a .dds texture on it to give it some look (or.. atleast be able to change the look/color of it)

you've ever seen a race care with a licence plate?!.........
Quote from tomylee :you've ever seen a race care with a licence plate?!.........

Rally cars have them.

In the 50s,most racecars had them aswell,as they were racing on public roads.
Quote from Sternendaal :Rally cars have them.

In the 50s,most racecars had them aswell,as they were racing on public roads.

They also have to be within the construction and use regulations as well. Also taxed and MOT'd.
Quote from tomylee :you've ever seen a race care with a licence plate?!.........

not all of the cars in LFS are race cars...
plus i've seen a few cars that race with license plates
especially some of the SCCA races (not scca pro)
Quote from XCNuse :not all of the cars in LFS are race cars...
plus i've seen a few cars that race with license plates
especially some of the SCCA races (not scca pro)

I did say to give the option to remove them, so everybody can decide to have one or not
im not saying that, im saying the road cars in LFS should keep them, and .. the race cars can have them removed
+1 to be able to toggle on/off number plates.
I agree that road cars have it but alot of people at track days that ive seen remove their plates.
Quote from XCNuse :im not saying that, im saying the road cars in LFS should keep them, and .. the race cars can have them removed

The plates look really out of place in most cases though XCNuse. Especially for a racing game. The LX cars having one on the front hanging down is just the worst possible thing, and you hardly ever see that when they are racing in reallife illepall

This should be a toggled option. And like I said, as cool as the plates are for identification and personalization, some people are really careless about having anything on their plate, and not having one at all would be a great option (to turn on and off).
  • GTR cars should not have them AT ALL. They have the name on the window, that's fine.
  • Road cars should have an option to take it on and off (kind of compares with reallife trackday or racing, where you really do have this option)
+1 for an on/off toggle.

I'd also like to see localised number plates. Right now the style they all have the same style, which is just like RL UK plates. It'd be nice to see plates for all the countries you can select for your nationality.
But I think a choice of plate would still be better than forcing people to any.
LX4 should have it, LX6 can be removed (atleast the front if not completely)

but i believe its a law in england to have a license plate in the front and rear, but im not sure (99% sure though)
Quote from XCNuse :LX4 should have it, LX6 can be removed (atleast the front if not completely)

but i believe its a law in england to have a license plate in the front and rear, but im not sure (99% sure though)

lol we aren't talking about driving on roads and traffic driving here.... this is racing on race tracks.

Why should the LX4 have it and LX6 not? Both are essentially Caterhams, and specifically track-day cars. Neither of them should have a license plate on the front at the least.
Quote from Dajmin :+1 for an on/off toggle.

I'd also like to see localised number plates. Right now the style they all have the same style, which is just like RL UK plates. It'd be nice to see plates for all the countries you can select for your nationality.
But I think a choice of plate would still be better than forcing people to any.

this would be a nice option too
just a part in the skin so that everybody can make their own +1
All road cars MUST retain their license plates (TBOs, XF GTi, XR GT, LX's). All dedicated race cars MUST have their license plates removed. End of story/thread.
+1

There is no such law in LFS that requires the license plates And as tweaker has said, it is just stupid to have license plates on GTR cars. A toggleable option should be fine.
#18 - SamH
Quote from Tweaker :Why should the LX4 have it and LX6 not? Both are essentially Caterhams, and specifically track-day cars. Neither of them should have a license plate on the front at the least.

All of the Caterhams I've ever seen have had plates both front and back.. but then, I've only ever seen them on the road.

Licence plates are legally required both front and back in the UK.. and all road-going cars are required to have covered wheels, with tyres protruding no more than (IIRC) 1.5" out from the wheel arches. The Caterhams are intended as track-day cars, as you say, but IMO that's in the sense that they're road-going (and road-legal) cars, driven on roads on all other days except track-days.

[edit] +1 for the toggle
Quote from SamH :All of the Caterhams I've ever seen have had plates both front and back.. but then, I've only ever seen them on the road.

Licence plates are legally required both front and back in the UK.. and all road-going cars are required to have covered wheels, with tyres protruding no more than (IIRC) 1.5" out from the wheel arches. The Caterhams are intended as track-day cars, as you say, but IMO that's in the sense that they're road-going (and road-legal) cars, driven on roads on all other days except track-days.

[edit] +1 for the toggle

Yes, I know they are fine with the plates front and back, but I don't know why everyone is somehow picturing all these cars (or this simulation in general), as driving on the streets like we are in a traffic simulation.

The LX cars should not have the plates on the front, and the back is in question, and probably just fine, since removing the rear one is pointless. But removing the one on the front is absolutely necessary for when you go driving on the track I'd imagine, as it would be hit, bent, and it has no real purpose other than to break off (well LFS's plate is hanging very low, reallife ones are fine probably) or be used to show a unique name or word.... And a license plate is so easy to remove, so not having one on the front in general in LFS is the only best option for the LX. Then there would be an option to remove the plates which would only remove the rear one on the LX cars.

I dunno, but the LX cars just don't look like a track-day car with a plate hanging down on the front. Here is a picture of them using them in reallife, which is probably where Eric got his inspiration for the plate. In LFS it hangs to low anyways, and at least this looks "fine", but it still isn't a real license plate and the position of one: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/u ... ortpics/ccrc/LJ8J8609.jpg

Even though some of the Caterham race series have a "name plate" on them, I am sure some people would prefer not to have them shown, and a simple on/off toggle is the only answer to all this. Then I wouldn't be complaining how the LX should not have one on the front. Heheh.

EDIT: Not to mention that having the option to turn it on/off would be useful, but someone mentioned having the license plate be skinnable as part of the car's skin. I 100% support this, because there are times where you should just be able to put a unique plate on it to make it fit the car's livery: http://www.pistonheads.com/pic ... erlight_nurburgring-L.jpg
Though it is a law to have plates front and rear in the UK, the most common way to get round it (as to be honest it does kill the looks of some cars) is the decal number plates.

Link. Keeps to the law, and looks some what better then having a chunk of plastic hanging off the front.
Quote from XCNuse :but i believe its a law in england to have a license plate in the front and rear, but im not sure (99% sure though)

Yes, Index marks are mandated in the UK on both front and back. The same rules apply in most European Union countries, regardless of which side of the road they drive on.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Though it is a law to have plates front and rear in the UK, the most common way to get round it (as to be honest it does kill the looks of some cars) is the decal number plates.

Link. Keeps to the law, and looks some what better then having a chunk of plastic hanging off the front.

Quote from duke_toaster :Yes, Index marks are mandated in the UK on both front and back. The same rules apply in most European Union countries, regardless of which side of the road they drive on.

So is a license plate required when racing on a track?

Are you guys only thinking about this just because the car is classified as a "road car"? Their "road car" phsyique and class "name" is less important to that of their performance... which are actually more like a racecars considering all the modifications you can do to them. I suppose driving a car that looks like it came right off the street "legally" (road tires, flashers, license plate, etc) really floats your boat

Oh yeah, make it an option
Quote from Tweaker :So is a license plate required when racing on a track?

On most trackdays, drivers do keep their plates on. Whilst they often contain sponsorship, they are mandated AFAIK in some championships (BTCC, WTCC, DTM) as well.

The only reason that sometimes they are gaffer taped over or removed on track days is that some insurance companies - supposedly - film track days to look for insurance policies to rip up.
Quote from Tweaker :So is a license plate required when racing on a track?

Are you guys only thinking about this just because the car is classified as a "road car"? Their "road car" phsyique and class "name" is less important to that of their performance... which are actually more like a racecars considering all the modifications you can do to them. I suppose driving a car that looks like it came right off the street "legally" (road tires, flashers, license plate, etc) really floats your boat

Oh yeah, make it an option

The Caterham is a roadcar for the race track, most caterhams seen on the road have most probably seen track time, because these cars have no modifications to make them into a "racecar" type car, i.e suspension, tyres and extra strength rollbars, they are just road cars which is why numberplates are left on, whereas the race version of the caterham is specifically just for the track, they have no numberplates.
a on/off suggestion woulod be nice, but a color changer (so you got yellow license plates front and rear) would also be cool for people who aren't french...

Licence Plate
(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG